The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

It would help to know more about the game this is from, but anyway, I did a quick search and found a blog containing the texts of other similar inscriptions from this game (I didn’t check what the game was about) and I read a few more inscriptions to get a feel. If you’re sure that the speaker is the spy, and is the one who has entered Hell, then my interpretation would be ‘he cannot die while on an espionage mission’. In other words, somewhat more literally, he ‘cannot do an espionage line-of-duty death’. Otherwise, like you said, it doesn’t make much sense. Therefore, we have to interpret 役 as referring to his job, not him as a person.

I’m presuming that since you managed to make a guess, you know that ぬ is an old equivalent of ない. I think that a lot of this game attempts to sound archaic without going into full-blown Classical Japanese (e.g. I saw 求むる in another excerpt, which I believe is the noun-modifying form of 求む, the classical version of 求める).

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer!

The game is GetsuFumaDen (月風魔伝). There’s not much to the story, but the basic gist is that you’re part of an old family tasked with going down to hell to kill a bunch of demons (the 魑魅魍魎 from the text) generation through generation. While travelling there, you sometimes come across messages from your ancestors that were there before you - the pic I posted was one of them.

I’m pretty sure that’s the case since these messages are not interconnected, so the only context to go by is the content of the message itself. Also, it opens up by saying he received an order to investigate the leader of the demons.

Right, I get it now. I was stuck thinking 諜報役 meant the spy (aka the speaker). Thanks!

Yeah, it’s supposed to take place in ancient Japan. So much so that it looks like you’re playing an Ukiyo painting. It’s pretty cool.

5 Likes

So I came across this word, 素質値, while reading and I’m pretty sure it refers to skill points or talent values but I’m at a loss as to how it’s pronounced.

I suppose all on’yomi like そしつち and that fits with how 経験値 is read but does anyone know for sure?

2 Likes

I would agree. Saw it in a game recently as well. Other scores/points categories, too. A mono JP dictionary confirms 経験値.

2 Likes

I’d go with そしつち. I think 値 has to be ち since that’s the only reading used as a suffix

although do keep wanting to read it as そしっち because that feels less awkward

3 Likes

Yeah that one is ubiquitous enough to have an entry.

I kinda want to read it as そしつね for the same reason :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth::joy:

Thanks to both of you. :+1:

I’ll go with そしつち

3 Likes

Could you correctly use 全力 in the sense of “all my strength is gone”, or is it just for talking about giving one’s best effort?

2 Likes

I would say the nuance is different. 全力 is kind of similar to “best effort”, but it’s more about pouring all one’s energy/strength into doing something.

What you’re looking for is 体力 or just 力.

4 Likes

You may just want すべての力 instead of 全力.

There’s also 脱力 to express “loss of strength” if that’s useful. Probably depends on your context.

6 Likes

To add on to what’s been said, you’ll notice that 全力 is often used in phrases like 全力で戦う=‘to fight will all one’s strength’. Now, if we concentrate on the English translation, that doesn’t tell us much, but if we look at the Japanese, we might notice that 全力 is being used as a noun here, coupled with the means particle で. That means that 全力 is not simply ‘all one’s strength’, but a single word representing that mass of strength as a concept, and not so much as a quantity. It’s a type of strength, not an amount of strength, one’s ‘all-strength’, one’s full strength, the maximum of one’s capacities. That’s why it doesn’t make much sense to say the equivalent of ‘my 全力 is gone’, because that can never happen: your 全力 is the limit of the power or effort you can invest into anything at a given point, and therefore by definition is something that’s always present; what changes is the specific quantity of strength that corresponds to based on an external scale. (Perhaps more intuitively, by a similar token, you’d never say ‘I’ve lost my full strength’ in English, right?)

6 Likes

There’s also 力が抜けた which is maybe a bit more commonly used I feel (since it’s more casual).

But I think I’ve definitely seen 身体が脱力した enough times :smile:

5 Likes

Or 気が抜けた, but that means rather just being listless rather than losing all one’s strength.

4 Likes

What’s the best word for saying something has certain functionality in a digital context? For example, my Kindle has a built-in dictionary or Chrome has spell check. Honestly, I’m tempted to just use ある, but surely there’s a more precise word. :sweat_smile:

To be completely honest, I’m not even sure I know the best word for physical capabilities either, like a phone having a camera or flashlight. I originally wanted to say 備わる, but after double checking the definition I’m leaning against that. (It seemed that 備わる would be more for things like my room including a ceiling fan.)

2 Likes

機能 for the feature and 搭載する for the device having a certain feature (transitive expression).

Taken from a N2 聴解 passage about computers.

Example: CPUを搭載したノートパソコン

8 Likes

Maybe the passage did contain some stuff about features being 搭載されている, but it seems that this is something you’d use for equipment or cargo. It’s about ‘carrying’ something or ‘being equipped with’ something. The examples I saw seem to refer to physical objects, and I have to say that the kanji meanings match that: 搭 tends to mean stuff like ‘to put/get on (something movable in order to transport/be transported)’, and 載 similarly refers to getting stuff onto a something like a vehicle (or a page).

I didn’t know this work existed though, so it was interesting to see. Thanks!

Well, I’m not sure if this is digital-tech-specific, but my first instinct was to use something containing the kanji 具 or the kanji 備, and I found this example sentence for 備える in the Meikyou dictionary (明鏡国語辞典):

「高速走行性能を備えた乗用車」
A passenger vehicle possessing the capacity to move at high speeds

According to 大辞林, 性能 can refer to 機能 that enable someone or something to perform a task, so this seems appropriate. There was another example expressing that a piece of music had a traditional form, so 備える is certainly suited to expressing the fact that something has an abstract quality or ability. I think that means that 備える (which can also be written as 具える, which I think is the more appropriate kanji for this meaning) is appropriate. By a similar token, I think 備わる would have been correct as well (because Meikyou uses almost exactly the same wording), but you’d need to use it intransitively in order to mean that the feature is present.

3 Likes

Yes, I was also a little surprised at first, but I think it’s fine in the context of a phone being equipped with a camera. Except the meaning is physical.

3 Likes

Yes and yes. I think that’s how it works.

2 Likes

I work with IT in Japan, 搭載 is definitely not limited to the physical interpretation nowadays and is indeed very common in the tech area.

From Weblio:
2 機器・自動車などに、ある装備や機能を組み込むこと。「カメラ機能を—した携帯電話」

機能 refers to any functionality or feature, not limited to physical parts or such, even if the Kanji originally have that meaning.

Also from Weblio example sentences:

それが独自開発のサーバー管理システムを搭載しています
新しいパソコンにはアクセス制御機能が搭載されている。
小さなボディに充実の性能を搭載しました

11 Likes

ditto 機能 since I’ve heard it used in this context a few times (usually in the form of X機能がある)

5 Likes

Thanks everyone. I knew the word 機能 (just couldn’t think of it off the top of my head), but 搭載 is totally new to me! From the example sentences it seems to fit pretty well. Particularly

which includes one of the exact scenarios I was asking about.

Based on that, could I say キンドルが辞書機能を搭載している or something like that?

My hold up with 備わる and 備える is that they seem to emphasize need.

For 備わる: 必要なものが不足なくそろい、整っている。
For 備える: 必要なときにいつでも使えるように、前もって整えておく。

Maybe it’s just me, but it feels overly dramatic to describe the Kindle’s dictionary or a phone’s camera this way. Well, particularly 備わる I guess. The definition of 備える feels a little more okay for this type of usage, even though logically if one fits the other should too.

This is a funny example. What personal computer doesn’t come with a CPU? :joy:

5 Likes