The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

In the Wiki the pronunciation is given as オーナインシステム, so I don’t see 鬼 anywhere. ナイン is very different from に.
Is this pun confirmed? Do you know for certain that is the intent behind it? Because I don’t see it at all :sweat_smile:

09システム(オーナインシステム)とは、エヴァンゲリオン初号機の起動システムおよび初号機のことを刺す俗称。
初号機の起動確率が「0.000000001%」と、0(オー)が9個(ナイン)であったことから付けられた。

I think people definitely know how the numbers are pronounced in English, but 語呂合わせ/puns using the two native readings (or abbreviations of those) are also very common.
For example things like 4649 = よろしく

5 Likes

420-失礼(しつれい)

5 Likes

I actually had something like this in one of the listening comprehension sample questions. The speakers used numbers to label their bags.

Regarding 09, I too think it’sナイン so much closer to the German Nein (no) if that helps.

4 Likes

I’m aware the original dub for Evangelion added this line to Ritsuko where she says that “As in Oni, a Japanese devil” and all English sources quote it since then, but I must agree with everyone else that it sounds like quite of a jump.

Not only the second dub removed that line altogether, but Japanese internet seems to have nothing on it. Anno and Yamashita have both declared in interviews that Onis were one of the inspirations for the Eva’s design, so that’s definitely a recurring theme. But saying that the name オーナイン is a reference to that feels a bit of a stretch.

It could be the case it indeed passed through their minds while writing Evangelion, but I don’t think the average Japanese native thinks of オニ when they hear オーナイン. Not only the ナイン is clearly different, but Japanese usually perceive these prolongations as different words.

Considering Tristan MacAvery himself went as far as saying the original dub was based on fan translations, I wouldn’t give it much credit.

9 Likes

Fun fact: Tokyo Skytree is precisesly 武蔵むさし metres tall. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

This pun actually exists in Darling in the Franxx where 02’s designation is a reference to 鬼 because of her horns and klaxosaur heritage.

The character list is filled with 語呂合わせ:

015: いちご
016: ひろ (とつく)
056: ごろ
196: いくの (6 sideways is の)
214: ふとし (shortened とお reading of 10)
666: ぞろめ (ゾロ目 - repeating numbers or matching dice)

6 Likes

imagen

I’m looking for some help interpretating 諜報役の落命はできぬ. Does it mean he, the speaker (the spy), can’t let himself die?

Why is it written so weird? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It would help to know more about the game this is from, but anyway, I did a quick search and found a blog containing the texts of other similar inscriptions from this game (I didn’t check what the game was about) and I read a few more inscriptions to get a feel. If you’re sure that the speaker is the spy, and is the one who has entered Hell, then my interpretation would be ‘he cannot die while on an espionage mission’. In other words, somewhat more literally, he ‘cannot do an espionage line-of-duty death’. Otherwise, like you said, it doesn’t make much sense. Therefore, we have to interpret 役 as referring to his job, not him as a person.

I’m presuming that since you managed to make a guess, you know that ぬ is an old equivalent of ない. I think that a lot of this game attempts to sound archaic without going into full-blown Classical Japanese (e.g. I saw 求むる in another excerpt, which I believe is the noun-modifying form of 求む, the classical version of 求める).

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer!

The game is GetsuFumaDen (月風魔伝). There’s not much to the story, but the basic gist is that you’re part of an old family tasked with going down to hell to kill a bunch of demons (the 魑魅魍魎 from the text) generation through generation. While travelling there, you sometimes come across messages from your ancestors that were there before you - the pic I posted was one of them.

I’m pretty sure that’s the case since these messages are not interconnected, so the only context to go by is the content of the message itself. Also, it opens up by saying he received an order to investigate the leader of the demons.

Right, I get it now. I was stuck thinking 諜報役 meant the spy (aka the speaker). Thanks!

Yeah, it’s supposed to take place in ancient Japan. So much so that it looks like you’re playing an Ukiyo painting. It’s pretty cool.

5 Likes

So I came across this word, 素質値, while reading and I’m pretty sure it refers to skill points or talent values but I’m at a loss as to how it’s pronounced.

I suppose all on’yomi like そしつち and that fits with how 経験値 is read but does anyone know for sure?

2 Likes

I would agree. Saw it in a game recently as well. Other scores/points categories, too. A mono JP dictionary confirms 経験値.

2 Likes

I’d go with そしつち. I think 値 has to be ち since that’s the only reading used as a suffix

although do keep wanting to read it as そしっち because that feels less awkward

3 Likes

Yeah that one is ubiquitous enough to have an entry.

I kinda want to read it as そしつね for the same reason :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth::joy:

Thanks to both of you. :+1:

I’ll go with そしつち

3 Likes

Could you correctly use 全力 in the sense of “all my strength is gone”, or is it just for talking about giving one’s best effort?

2 Likes

I would say the nuance is different. 全力 is kind of similar to “best effort”, but it’s more about pouring all one’s energy/strength into doing something.

What you’re looking for is 体力 or just 力.

4 Likes

You may just want すべての力 instead of 全力.

There’s also 脱力 to express “loss of strength” if that’s useful. Probably depends on your context.

6 Likes

To add on to what’s been said, you’ll notice that 全力 is often used in phrases like 全力で戦う=‘to fight will all one’s strength’. Now, if we concentrate on the English translation, that doesn’t tell us much, but if we look at the Japanese, we might notice that 全力 is being used as a noun here, coupled with the means particle で. That means that 全力 is not simply ‘all one’s strength’, but a single word representing that mass of strength as a concept, and not so much as a quantity. It’s a type of strength, not an amount of strength, one’s ‘all-strength’, one’s full strength, the maximum of one’s capacities. That’s why it doesn’t make much sense to say the equivalent of ‘my 全力 is gone’, because that can never happen: your 全力 is the limit of the power or effort you can invest into anything at a given point, and therefore by definition is something that’s always present; what changes is the specific quantity of strength that corresponds to based on an external scale. (Perhaps more intuitively, by a similar token, you’d never say ‘I’ve lost my full strength’ in English, right?)

6 Likes

There’s also 力が抜けた which is maybe a bit more commonly used I feel (since it’s more casual).

But I think I’ve definitely seen 身体が脱力した enough times :smile:

5 Likes

Or 気が抜けた, but that means rather just being listless rather than losing all one’s strength.

4 Likes

What’s the best word for saying something has certain functionality in a digital context? For example, my Kindle has a built-in dictionary or Chrome has spell check. Honestly, I’m tempted to just use ある, but surely there’s a more precise word. :sweat_smile:

To be completely honest, I’m not even sure I know the best word for physical capabilities either, like a phone having a camera or flashlight. I originally wanted to say 備わる, but after double checking the definition I’m leaning against that. (It seemed that 備わる would be more for things like my room including a ceiling fan.)

2 Likes