The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

But (at least I assume) here it’s a girl - 藤花 is definitely female name :wink: Nevertheless a girl also usually wouldn’t call her boy “君”. But it sometimes happens the other way around - although anime/LN/VN boys seem to call everyone but their mother おまえ :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ok, so this one kinda threw me.

考えるだけで尿が出そうだ

Thinking about it makes want to pee?!

So I check the English translation and it’s:

Just thinking about it pisses me off.

I don’t know if it’s a colloquialism or just the way this character talks. It’s the MC from Mushoku Tensei and he’s a middle aged otaku so his speech patterns so far have been colorful to say the least.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ah, they removed the listing.

plenty of other fish in that sea.

Edit: they relisted at the same price lol

1 Like

If I want to ask for photos of something from the back, would (うし)ろ be the right word or is there another word that’s preferred?

You mean the back side of something?
I think 裏側 or 裏の.

Not sure what the broader context here is, but it sounds fairly normal?

1 Like

Just came across a word 地味セン. Does anyone know what does セン mean there?

Could you give some more context? I’d guess it could be an abbreviation of センス - so the “full version” would be 地味なセンス shrinked to 地味セン but without context I’m not sure.

1 Like

I guess it’s the fact that instead of being straightforward, it presupposes knowledge of the English phrase that’s transliterated into Japanese in order to get it.

Which I guess is something to get used to with how this character speaks. Plus, I don’t really know a lot about otaku culture from the Japanese side. I’ve only participated from the English weeb side, so while some of it is familiar, a lot of it takes some thinking to grok.

1 Like

Yep! That’s what I mean. Now that it’s a decent hour, I’ll ask my coworkers and see what’s preferred. I’ll report back of course

1 Like

What would a word for “to watch for” with a connotation of “keep an eye out for something dangerous or undesirable” be?

注意ちゅうい

4 Likes

Can you tell me what’s the difference between 字 and 文字?

They’re very similar, and often interchangeable, but there are some tendencies. 文字 is more likely to be used in talking about a system of written characters. 字 is more likely to be used when pointing out a single character, or something that is actually written on a page.

7 Likes

You were right! My coworker says (うら) is preferred :slight_smile: の is only sometimes required. She said that 「(うら)みて」 would be fine to say.

1 Like

Incredibly simple question that I should know the answer to but don’t,

In this sentence: あっ 今日 夜まで家に誰もいないから
the いない is just いる in the plain form negative, right? I had this in my sentence mining as 以内 which means “within”.

The sentence means something like, “Ah, no-one will be home until tonight, so…”

I was just overlooking this, since having “within” would kind of work in my brain as like, “Ah, no-one will be [within] home until tonight, so…”

But that’s just me being wrong, right?

(The context is that a key fell out of her pocket, and the other people there don’t lock their doors, so they’re perplexed why she even has a key. Shes a new transfer student.)

yes the position has to be a verb (since から is atached without だ) so it has to be negative plain of いる

2 Likes

Second question in record time.

So I’m going over a verb on WK, 運ぶ which means “to carry” and its an intransitive verb.

They give an example sentence of: あ、それから、つくえを運ぶのをわすれないでください。

How is this not transitive? It’s telling someone to directly act upon the object of the desk in the process of carrying it. Is it intransitive because you’re not physically doing it in that moment, but it’s hypothetical as in the form of a question?

I’m sorry but this verb is not one or the other. It can be used in different situations as transitive or intransitive (WK marks it also as both). The usage with carry is transitive though. Where did you find it as intransitive?

3 Likes

Maybe I’m blind (probably tbh) but I swear it didn’t say transitive when I was learning it but now that I go to the information page it says it’s both. Weird aha.

I didn’t realize it could be both though, so there is no standalone, “to carry” transitive and instransitive verbs, just a singular one that acts as both?

As far as I can tell the “to carry” meaning is always transitive. Theres just one meaning of it with the verb being used intrasnitively:
物事がとどこおらずに進む。進捗する。はかどる。「交渉が円滑に—・ぶ」「仕事がうまく—・ぶ」
Wich has more of a “carry out” nuance.

5 Likes