The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Could it be that those two words in second image are names? Are there any characters with names that might fit?

1 Like

As a long shot for the first one, you could try searching for the name / chapter / surrounding dialogue of the manga.

If the scan’s that unintelligible, it may have confused Japanese readers too, and someone out there’s random readthrough blog has helped me out with the weirdest phrases a few times in the past.
(I tried unsuccessfully with just the dialogue and got that it was ONE OUTS but nothing actually helpful)

3 Likes

For the first one, who’s the guy the arrow is pointing to? Do you know his role? Catcher? I’m almost completely certain that the final characters are に戻された, but I have no idea what the comment could be about.

EDIT: OK, here’s my best guess:「3塁…を…したので、また一塁…に戻された」I tried looking at the anime episode that seems to cover the same part of the story, and as far as I can tell, (spoiler tags for those who haven’t seen this bit and want to read/watch it) Tokuchi came up with some trick that involved passing something to the 3rd base defender. I don’t know if that’s relevant though.

2 Likes

Oh. Oho. By Jove, I think he’s got it.

That’s what I like best about your guess. :slightly_smiling_face:

The main character does have a habit of making pretty scary faces in dramatic situations, similar to what he’s doing in the first panel of that page.

Which two words in particular?

He’s usually the pitcher, but because the team owner is trying to force him to give up runs (long story), in this game he’s serving as relief pitcher, which in turn means that when he’s not pitching, he has to play another position. Up until this point, it’s been first base.

Wait, wait, there’s an anime of this?

Indeed. Perhaps it’s something like “After something something third baseman, he’s back on first base again”?

4 Likes

Because I remembered this conversation I just realized that the “Top 500 Names in Japan” Anki deck I’ve been going through has kinda been misleading me… (although this appears to be a valid reading)

To throw in a relevant question here that I’ve been thinking about:

How common are strange names (that you wouldn’t see in real life) in slice of life or “realistic” anime? Do these kinds of shows often stray away from “generic” or overly common names to be more unique?

I’ve noticed when going through the most common family names in Japan that there’s a lot of them I don’t recognize at all despite having watched countless hours of anime, but that’s probably at least partly because of my bad memory
I assume outlandish names are about as common in Japanese fantasy (夜神 月(やがみ ライト), ㅤ霊幻(れいげん), ㅤ爆豪(ばくごう)) as in the West (Princess Bubblegum, Daenerys Targaryen, Frodo Baggins)

1 Like

Those, which I thought were written in katakana, but first out of two is probably in hiragana - おこると and コクイ.
But looking at it again - could it be that first kanji is not 見, but 使. And it will go like this then:
こう使えても
おこると
コクイ
ボクは

1 Like

コクイ doesn’t really make sense though, that’s probably コワイ as someone else said. And that doesn’t look like 使 to me either :thinking:

3 Likes

玄人

In the audio examples, does anyone else hear the pitch pattern as low-high-high-low or is it just me? Apparently the word should be high-low-low-low.

It’s LHLL if you ask me. As for how come…

If you look at this 大辞林 entry (unfortunately this dictionary isn’t available for free online anymore, but people on Apple devices can download them for free, and it should be available for purchase in some dictionary apps), there are two possible pitch accents for this word. If I’m not wrong, the first pitch accent listed when there are multiple options is usually the traditional pitch pattern, whereas the second one is typically used by younger people, or has emerged more recently. In other words, what you’re hearing is the second pattern (second mora accented) instead of the first (first mora accented), which is what you were expecting.

3 Likes

I see, thanks for that!

(I fooled around here to see what the difference between LHLL and LHHL sounds like and they sound the same to me :see_no_evil:)

1 Like

image image

The WaniKani Pitch Info script is great for spotting the cases where a word has multiple possible pitch accents without having to leave WK btw!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s because LHHL isn’t valid for this word. I think when you have an extended vowel (ろう in this case) it’s impossible for the pitch to drop on the second mora (meaning it can’t drop on the う in this case). So for くろうと, a pitch of 1, 2, 4, or 0 are all theoretically possible, but not a pitch of 3. (And of course, not all of the theoretically possible pitches are used in practice for this word. See Jonapedia’s post for the accepted pitches for this word.)

For what it’s worth, for the audio I definitely hear a pitch of 2. That is, LHLL.

4 Likes

I was just about to post the same thing :+1:

2 Likes

How would you translate “proactive people” and “reactive people”?

On jisho.org I could find 積極的な人 for proactive people but not too sure for reactive people…

Many thanks!

1 Like

The antonym to 積極 is 消極 so I’d say 消極的[な人]

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure what reactive means, but Tobira actually introduces both of these antonyms when describing personality traits so that checks out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its the antonym of proactive, so instead of taking charge in advance a reactive person will wait and see what happens before deciding what to do

1 Like

Seems right! Thank you very much for your help

1 Like

I got this notification on YouTube about a members-only stream from someone I’m following:

⏰11月27日(土)23:00
メンバー限定配信!!ありまーす!

誕生日のお礼や裏話!今度の話などー!おしゃべりしましょう!

I get what it means, I’m just wondering, how would one translate “今度の話” in this context? I just took it as “chatting about [this time](probably meaning the birthday stuff, I guess?)” but I’m not 100% sure on that

1 Like

“The next story and other stuff”?

Afaik, 今度は means “this time” as in “next closest time” when something happens, but 今度の means just “next something”. Might be wrong, tho.

1 Like