The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Yeah, I think it’s like, “day in, day out” or “day after day” rather than like, “daily” or “every day.”
Just emphasizing the repetition that much more.

3 Likes

Or even “day after day after day”, same as you might say in English.

3 Likes

Now I’m curious, is there any expression in Japanese that’s similar to English’s “back to back (to back)”?

Back to back in what sense? There is for instance 互いに - each other, ともに - both. Or do you mean next to each other? There is a lot of expressions for sequences like 続々, for instance.

1 Like

When you say something like “I got two wins back to back” or “We had customers appearing back to back at the store today”

1 Like

I’m thinking in the sense of “back to back meetings”, things that keep ocurring one right after another.

Leaning towards 次から次へと, but I’m not entirely that quite conveys the mood of repetitive repetition.

1 Like

次々? or maybe something mimetic like くどくど

there’s a lot of stuff on jisho like くれぐれも and 重ね重ね as well

1 Like

How about something for John Sterling’s, the Yankees play-by-play announcer’s, home run call of “back-to-back and a-belly-to-belly”.

1 Like

Yeah that would’ve been my next guess.

Knowing the English-loving Jinbo Bonji from Sponichi News Index, he would just say it in English with a perfect US accent in his jovial voice :joy:

And then finish the material with his typical - 皆さん、Have a great daaay!

My bad, I didn’t reply properly. To me that would’ve been 続々 or 次々 as @theghostofdenzo wrote.

3 Likes

(Not really sure if this should be a grammar question or not…) Are they any reasons a speaker would choose 経済を回復する方法 over 経済を回復させる方法, or vice versa?

1 Like

I just looked at some context sentences and it looks to me as if 回復する is intransitive (for a lack of a better term here) so it’s the economy that does the recovering. So perhaps にする instead of をする or turning it into a ための sentence “a method for the purpose/sake of the recovery of economy”?

経済の回復するための方法

1 Like

ignoring the particles for the moment, the difference between 回復する and 回復させる is that the former says the economy recovers and the latter says that something is causing the economy to recover.

in this context, I’d use 回復させる because 方法 suggests to me that you’re talking about for a method to recover the economy.

of course, I don’t come across this language that often so take it with a grain of salt…

just looking at ninjal for 回復する, by far the most popular particle to use with it is を (が comes second). as far as I can tell, they both mark the same thing in the examples, so it probably is intransitive…に is third, and seems to mark either an adverb or the final state (e.g. 現状に回復する) の回復する seems to be really rare

1 Like

The の was mostly a replacement for が in my example. Apologies for the unfortunate choice :frowning: .

The example sentences I found often used は, because the thing recovering (incidentally, the economy in some cases) was also the topic.

Interesting that を was the most common.

1 Like

I think part of it is that 回復させる is also included, but there were a lot of examples where it was indeed Xを回復する. I guess it’s to do with volition or something :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

回復 has two meanings. I’ll leave this dictionary extract with examples to do the rest of the explaining:

I think the first option you mentioned is a little strange, but if there’s a particular past economic state that one is seeking, or if the speaker is a resident of a particular country and would like it return to a particular economic state, I’d say that 〜経済を回復する is appropriate (but probably only with a descriptor for 経済).

PS: かいふく can be written as 回復 or 恢復, and in Chinese, the second has both transitive and intransitive meanings (and the first can be defined using the second), so the existence of this double meaning in Japanese is not surprising.

3 Likes

My question is regarding the “set free” meaning, can 放つ and 放す be used interchangeably?

Context:

The second meaning of 放つ accordingly to Jisho is

1. to set free; to release; to let loose​

while the first meaning of 放す is

1. to release; to let go; to free; to set free; to let loose; to turn loose​

both are transitive, godan verbs.

I was reading an 囲碁 (game of Go) book where the author wrote:

白は左辺を放っておいて、+ long sentence

which I translate (not literal) as White stopped playing in the left side of the board and then… I was surprised to see 放つ since at WK I kept writing only its first meaning (“to fire”) in my reviews until I burned it.

I checked Weblio and there seems to be a very subtle difference between 放す and 放つ.
放す - to let go or release something as in not keep/hold it anymore
放つ - to set something free, but in a way that something (or somebody) is made to move

4 Likes

you sure it’s not this one? Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

(which incidentally comes from 放る, yet another godan transitive verb using 放 :sweat_smile: )

5 Likes

Yes it is this one!

1 Like

I’m having trouble searching this correctly, sorry. What are the pronunciations for (ふくろ) when using it as a counter. For example- いちふくろ?

1 Like