The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Im not going to debate how recent this development is because quite frankly I don’t know. I don’t read old stuff, only stuff made in the past decade. But I’ve seen it probably in the hundreds of times used this way, so its definitely a legit thing that people do.

Its not an exception. Thats like saying well, も means “also” or “even” in 99% of cases and can be used in these cases, but oh theres this exception where it can also be used like けど. Its not an exception and its just another property of the particle. Its very flawed to try to just build upon one usage of a particle, word, or anything and justify a completely different usage by adding meaning that isn’t there.

Sometimes words, particles, and grammar structures have completely different usages and you can’t just try to extend one usage to fit all the others.

Yeah but the problem is you didn’t understand it it seems. Even if the を was going to be for the 思う like you said, the と wouldn’t make sense and shouldn’t be there in the first place. And even if that was the case and it was grammatically correct, then it would mean something different and you would have the wrong interpretation. The stackexchange you linked doesn’t agree with you either and the only answer who did has -2 points (because its wrong) as opposed to the +16 answer.

I’m firmly on the side of descriptive grammar myself as well. Anyone who has talked to me know 99% of my knowledge comes from trying to understand actual content. You’re just incorrect in this case, my friend. Its not an exception, the phrase wasn’t implied, and if the “implied phrase” was used correctly in the way you’re proposing then it would change the meaning.

2 Likes

Uh, yeah, I went and reread it again and that’s actually on the mark. すまんな :face_exhaling:

I guess in my defense it just seemed to fit so nicely as an explanation.

I still think trying to make it work consistently has merit, but I have to admit I probably don’t have enough experience yet for an intuitive feel.

Thanks for taking the time to lay it out.

3 Likes

Im with you for most cases honestly. I do the same thing myself a lot of the time. Its just that some usages are so far removed its muri (maybe like に also meaning “and” as well as indicating direction).

を好き particularly seems to be a rite of passage though.

5 Likes

Regarding weight, do 重い and 重たい share the same meaning?

There might be more to it, but 重い is neutral on its own. 重たい implies a negative experience or pain by the person saying it. It’s more subjective as well.

As such, you also can’t use it when you aren’t the one handling the heavy thing. Kind of like 〜たい with verbs.

Edit: worth mentioning the same applies to 眠い / 眠たい. Not sure if there are other pairs off the top of my head.

7 Likes

Thanks! That’s very interesting. Perhaps 煙い・煙たい is another pair?

1 Like

…Aaaand this is where I find out I’ve always misinterpreted 眠たい as a conjugation of 眠る even though that makes no sense because that’d be 眠りたい :joy:

Does 眠たい have negative connotations though? That surprises me a bit, I’ve mostly heard it in ASMR videos where getting sleepy is supposed to be a good thing. It’s also aimed at the listener, not the speaker, in those contexts.

Though maybe I’ve just misheard, I guess that’s also a possibility. I’ll listen for it, it comes around quite frequently :thinking:

2 Likes

It might not always have all of those connotations, but it’s always subjective and infused with emotion, as opposed to the more neutral version.

Considering that ASMR videos are a niche thing, it’s also possible they have specific standards for the kind of things said in those videos that wouldn’t be as normal to say in real life. I stay about a billion miles away from anything related to ASMR, so I can’t say more on it.

4 Likes

Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up! It’s definitely not a neutral matter-of-fact thing, so subjective and infused with emotion sounds right.

Can I say 言い訳をしてばかり、申し訳ございません? :thinking:

It would be 言い訳ばかりで申し訳ございません

But I would say 言い訳ばかり is more likely to appear when you are criticizing someone else than talking about yourself. Like “he is always full of excuses and never does what must be done”

2 Likes

Well, I’m trying to wrap up an e-mail where I explain why I can’t meet a company I wanted to work for’s requirement for a manual transmission driver’s license because of this, that, and this other reason but I think I’ll just play it safe and just say 大変申し訳ございません。

3 Likes

The impression I’m increasingly getting is that you should just apologise so long as you are inconveniencing the other person. It’s much easier. The other day, I was writing to a major Japanese university, and I asked my friend for advice. He said I should just get rid of the words ‘if I’m causing you any trouble’ and say that I was inconveniencing them (by sending an extra email) before simply asking for forgiveness.

That aside, I think the connotation of 言い訳 is too negative for you to use it in this sort of context. You could use it with a friend while apologising for all your excuses, even if they’re genuine and valid. With a company, however, I think it sounds more like, ‘I know I’m just making excuses (i.e. I know I’m being irresponsible). A thousand apologies (but I’m not actually sorry)!’ That makes it risky to use. If your reasons are genuine (or so goes the reasoning), you wouldn’t feel the need to call them 言い訳.

2 Likes

What’s “tag” in the sense of an online shopping tag? Like the product is labelled with one character, but the picture and title very clearly depict a different character. I’m trying to send the website a message that their listing is at odds with itself.

Do you have photos? By “tag” do you mean like item category? Or is it about characters in the sense of fictional characters? :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah… what is the tag you’re talking about in English? Like, can you show us an example listing? If it’s like… the keywords associated with a product, then it’s probably just タグ.

Does the site not label it what the keywords are called?

In any case, if I was dealing with something like this, I’d probably use a screenshot to show it, not explain it with words.

2 Likes

Yeah, keywords essentially. Like this
I suppose I could just say something like maybe your product information is wrong

1 Like

Yeah, you could probably say that (but super politely :smiley: ). Or just キーワード, I think.

1 Like

Yeah, I think either might work. I’ll send them an email after I finish my reviews

1 Like

Why does in speech ‘毎日’ often repeat another time? Is it for emphasis?