The long and winding immersion path to WaniKani level 60

Well Saezuru was a proper manga/book club, not an anime club. Did Escaflowne have a vocab sheet? And Tylor? Did I help out in any way there? I just can’t remember. XD

Edit. I guess Tylor didn’t have one, but Escaflowne does. That another to check some other night. ^^;

1 Like

That’s why I don’t recognise that one. I just checked Escaflowne too, the only additional sheet was the mysterious “Sheet 12” with nothing on it, so that’s all done now too.

1 Like

Great job and thanks again for lending a hand! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that is an amazing cake! Thanks for sharing the recipe and that’s totally something I’d try.

How’s your Japanese journey gone in the last year?

1 Like

Thanks! :blush: I hope you give it a try! :birthday:

As for where I’m now, I’ve been going back to immersion learning mostly, as I did originally. For example, participating in/and organizing anime/manga clubs. The latest one was joining a light novel book club. That’s been a big step for me at least. :slight_smile:

I feel like not having access to WK since my subscription ran out has been a bit of a missed opportunity. Not because I wanted to burn the last 20-ish % of the last available items, but because, I could do with an easy way of refreshing my memory once in a while; you just don’t encounter all kanji anymore.

It’s always a bit sad to realize I don’t remember kanji learnt on WK, or I’m just not sure enough to keep on reading, but have to look it up. I knew this would happen as it’s inevitable, but still a bit frustrating.

My attempts at improving my grammar hasn’t really gone anywhere. I guess, as my life is right now, I don’t wanna read textbooks or grammar explanations. :thinking: There’s also the fact that I don’t have a language goal where I need to improve my grammar that much, for example getting a job and use Japanese professionally. I just wanna enjoy Japanese media and I’m already being able to do so. :slight_smile:

I guess, just having fun listening to drama CDs, watching anime and reading manga/light novels means I’ve gotten plenty of use going through with WK. ^>^

1 Like

Finally found time to update the OP post with some new statistics: heatmap, lessons-heatmap, workload graph, and 2 cool for progress, aka “burn progression %”-bar. :slight_smile:

I did a 9 month hiatus on WK. But after that long, I felt the urge to get back into the saddle. I had not been reading as much as I had hope to, and so felt rusty when I did! Nothing for it, I just had to do some cramming before I lost all my hard-earned kanji!

It really did help doing WK again, as now my participation in the Flesh and Blood-book club is pretty smooth. Much more than I thought would be possible.

I’m still reminded of how much I still need to learn, and I do need to focus mostly on stuff outside of WK, BUT, the habit of reviewing for a bit each day is still pretty fun to me. I really don’t mind it as an everyday thing to do. Plus, there will be leeches requiring a cramming mode to be learnt, rather than just encountering a word or a phrase and making a note of it in a list somewhere.

Anki hasn’t grown on me. Neither have other SRS-applications. I think, I just want to be realistic about stuff, and the need to hold onto what I have learnt using WK all this time. I think that’s plenty for the time being, while I get used to reading text-only media. ^>^

8 Likes

So, a lot has happened since my last update. I got well on with the reviewing process, but I still felt like I might as well just go big and reset to a lower level. I just wanted to go over past ground and really make sure I memorize everything even better, so, I reset to lv 6.

I’ll be updating the OP in a minute with the new stats for comparison. :slight_smile:

Edit: the update is done and it’s pretty interesting to compare this second run with my first. ^>^

2 Likes

Very interesting! Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the results of your new game +.

See you at level 60! :exploding_head:

1 Like

You can make it! Good luck! ^>^

AF0006635_00

1 Like

Well, turns out I’ve thoughtlessly deleted my heatmap and other browser related info. :woman_facepalming:

Well, it is as it is. Still, turns out, I’ve been posting some of this info on my studyblog though. So, I’m gonna repost that here as well, to create a sense of continuity for this thread of how the final ascend to lv 60 for the second time went and how it differed in many ways, to be frank. :eyes:

Edit: Turns out I never logged my lesson, but still: here’s some Reviews stats that are quite interesting on their own!

While this screen dump lacks the last 3 months, the main thing that I’ll now just log in description is that it’s very clear how this run has differed from the first one.

The intensity of reviews is just not there, because I’ve been taking a much lighter pedal on lessons. There were a at least 2-4 days each month where I had done <reviews. Which means I’m just taking a break after doing a few, frankly.

Lots of days in the second intensity level: which got just non-existent in the first run after a couple of months. Also, the darker = 200+ reviews done in a day. Well, that gets very frequent in the first run, but worked hard to keep that do a maximun of 5 times a month or less rather. Some have 3 days of that.

Basically, I kept my reviews in the lower 2nd color, which is between 40-100 reviews in a day.

That is much, much lover intensity than before. Even keeping that up to the latter levels (lv 40+)

What that means is that I can skip days without being overwhelmed immediately, which is where the next points comes in. ^^’

I haven’t really binged lessons outside of the first levels, and even then it was restrained. I worked hard to keep myself that way. But, then IRL took president and things got really rough IRL. I was overwhelmed in so many ways. I kept up with reviews, but I defo didn’t rush into new lessons or moving along my lessons at such a break-neck tempo as the first time - when I had the time and mental space to do so. :eyes:

I’ve taken a major break for the first time in how to do new lessons, which means a sudden increased time to level:

I just wanna do other things when I’m free I feel. :sweat_smile:

I still have unnaturally high accuracy because this is the second time.

But, I also quit sessions when i’m just not mentally there. Because it’s literally pointless. I can answer 1 item wrong 1 different sessions only to answer it right the 4th session. Such items are not quite leeches but they are in some way. I just can’t make them more “mine” or " memorized" using WK is all. I need native content then. The day-form factors are real I feel now that I’m so mentally, down. So, I just make do with what I do well, and try to focus less on fixing stuff like that for now.

Well, that’s all for tonight. Too tired to think more about it and will go back to rewrite some stuff likely due to grammar etc.

Still, my main thoughts right now is that I’ve had a great second run. I’m quite surprised myself that I’m now moving closer to the final 10 levels. :astonished:

yeah

(or that’s just the Friday nights spirit getting to me, since it’s been a lovely day here. Very cold in Sweden right now, but still, lovely! ^>^ )

EDIT 2:

I should post my apprentice etc numbers for comparison, which is the best indicator of the difference! :slight_smile:

I’ve gotten a lot of days with below 60-ish item in Apprentice which is just unheard of on my first run. :joy:

6 Likes