The Level 10 StarMech Corner

Just got finished with 100 reviews. I was like “ah, now I’m all caught up”.

…NOPE, DING! Level 5! Here’s 109 lessons!

lol

2 Likes

Welcome to the club. ╭( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ "

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re talking about my thread? :joy:

Anyway, congrats on your journey so far! Hope to catch you later on the higher levels :fist_right:

1 Like

There was actually a guy who did it for upwards of 30 something levels. Someone bumped his thread not too long ago, but it doesn’t look like he’s around anymore. :confused:

I’ll be sure to see you there!
:fist_left:

I’ve been able to hit level 6! I’ll wait you there :wink:

By the way, it’s getting harder and harder…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s the hump that’ll put me into level 6. :smiley:
If so, that means I nailed a 7 day level, which is awesome.
I’m catching up. :wink:

1 day behind you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:confetti_ball: :partying_face: Made it to level 6! :partying_face: :confetti_ball:
Gotta wait to do my lessons since I have plans (and I pushed them back to do WaniKani. Oh god, it’s happening, isn’t it?). Will probably do them tonight before I go to sleep. hehe.

Biggest set of reviews thus far. Here goes.

Murdered it.

There’s only 2 words (1 really) that kind of confuse me, that being 当たり and 当たる.
Do these have 2 separate meanings? Like it can mean “sucess” or “hit”, and “to succeed” or “to hit”?

1 Like

当たる has like 20 meanings. And 当たり is simply the noun-ified form of it. Like 話し from 話す or 続き from 続く.

I figured that much with the nounification of it. Didn’t know it had that many meanings though. I’ll remember those two for now and continue on.

いつもありがとうございます!

To be fair, most of the meanings are some extrapolation of the same core concept. Which is that something ends up at a specific spot, physically or metaphorically.

2 Likes

about time! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Due to my having plans that one night and going to bed before a set of reviews came up another night, it’s looking like I might have a 9 day level. :sob:

Congrats. Just realized I need about 5 sec to actually realize the Kanji you wrote, sad me.

hehe. 火 and 然!
To be honest, when I wrote it, I hadn’t seen it in so long that I had to double check to make sure that was it. lol

Level 7 now! Most of these words are ones I’ve seen before, but there was a few questions that popped up as I was going through them.

出血

I wanted to use a couple sentences to make sure I was understanding this one correctly.
足首が出血してる
My ankle is bleeding.
足首の出血を止めた
I stopped my ankle from bleeding.

死ぬ・亡くなる・死亡する

I’m not sure of the differences between these. I have seen the first two before. My intuition is telling me that 死亡 would be used in keigo, but I’m struggling to find the difference in 死ぬ and 亡くなる.

見当たる

当たる again, huh. lol. The definition on jisho says “to be found”, and on WK it says “to come upon” and “to come across”. These definition conventions are throwing me for a loop here. Is it transitive or intransitive? How does it differ from 見つかる?

Yeah, I think 出血する is a intransitive する-verb based on the results from the Tsukuba Corpus. You probably weren’t asking about that at all, but it’s a nice resource to check how certain words are used or what particle usually accompanies a certain word.

This was answered on HiNative.

I believe this is also intransitive based on the Tsukuba Corpus. These replies on the 教えてGoo site suggest that 見当たる is primarily used in the negative as in, “after looking around a certain area X is nowhere to be found”. 見つける, on the other hand, is used when you are able to find something. I can’t really explain why this is the case, but I’m sure there are word pairs such as this in English.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Tsukuba Corpus is a killer website. Immediately bookmarked.

It looks like something towards 90%+ on Tsukuba Corpus were negative as well.

1 Like

I know, right? I think someone on the forums shared it, and I was hooked. It’s a great way to verify patterns you come across in Japanese. Be careful to take in mind that most corpora are biased toward written sources so always consider the top 3-5 most frequent hits and do a little extra leg work to check what’s appropriate for conversations and such.

1 Like