The left radical of 飴

image image

I’ve seen both of these for 飴, one on WaniKani and the other on my phone. Why are they different?

1 Like

They’re the same radical, it’s basically just different fonts, from my understanding. It’s like how ‘a’ and ‘ɑ’ can both be used to represent the same letter in English.

8 Likes

The left image is indicative of how you should hand-write the kanji.

1 Like

They are essentially the same thing, but I believe that 飠 is a slightly simplified version of𩙿 (although still qualifying as a Traditional Chinese character), and the one you will more commonly find in Japanese.

You can see an illustration of the development on this page. From the text:

※「飠」は「𩙿」の略字です。

飠 is the simplified form of 𩙿.

※「𩙿」は「飠」の旧字(以前に
使われていた)です。

𩙿 is a (previously used) old form of 飠.

9 Likes
5 Likes

This gives a new aspect of difficulty to kanji.

10 Likes

Darn these youngsters and their newfangled simplifications! Back in my day we used the oracle bone script and we were happy with it!

6 Likes

Try adding Japanese as a second language on your phone. Might resolve the issue

3 Likes

I’ve already done so on iOS.
Both still seem to be correct though, so I guess it’s not really an issue.

It changes though. The first one is when Japanese is set as a primary language, and the second one is when it isn’t set as a language (neither primary nor secondary).
The second kanji is another one I noticed changed a little

1 Like

Oh yeah, my eyes got really wide and all I could think is how many of these variations will I have to try to remember as I go along on my journey deeper into the thicket of Japanese…

but hey, what doesn’t kill us just adds to our kanji insanity!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.