The JLPT 2021 Thread (RESULTS OUT NOW!)

I’m planning on taking the N5 in December, if we are allowed. I think that is an achievable goal right now. So let’s keep our :crossed_fingers:

Because there might never be a test again in many places at the rate we’re going?

1 Like

damn this got dark real quick

2 Likes

I took the N5 in Dec 2019 for that reason and was surprised how nervous I was once I was in the room as it had been 20 years since my last exam! There’s definitely something to be said for making sure you’re comfortable with the content for your first one, and stretching yourself thereafter.

5 Likes

I want to take N3 in July but it seems to be cancelled in Stockholm as far as I know.

My goal for the year is to take the N5 in December. Probably in Seattle, but I’d have to fly no matter where I take it, so it as long as it’s held in the western US somewhere I’ll be able to go.
I did all of Nakama 1 in a class about 14 years ago. Only learned maybe 20 kanji. So I’m doing wanikani now with a plan to go over my my textbook again when I have a few more kanji down. But I checked and I only have a little over 10 N5 kanji left. So if I keep up, N4 could be possible.

3 Likes

Just found out the JLPT in Leiden is only accessible to people affiliated to the University there :disappointed_relieved: and there was a limit of 60 people. Unfortunately my N2 certificate from 2019 never arrived so I planned on picking up the replacement this July before or after I would take the N1 :sob: I’ll have to look at my options for December I guess.

I really like having something like the JLPT to work towards, so to compensate for that I’ll just take a mock test on the day lol. If there’s anyone who wants to organize a simultaneous JLPT sit, whichever level it is, just to motivate each other to keep studying, let me know! (Or if people are doing that already, please let me know… lol)

6 Likes

I am hoping to take the N3 in December!
I have never taken the JLPT before. I was planning on taking N2 in 2019 but studying grammar got me really overwhelmed at the time so I decided to wait and aim at starting with N3 instead, where I am a little more confident in my abilities.

2 Likes

Passed N3 in December with an ok score, decent enough margin so I’ll be trying N2 in July next, I don’t actually expect to pass though, I am mostly doing it for the lulz just to see what score I get.

3 Likes

I was supposed to do N2 in December last year, because I passed N3 in December 2019. But covid not only stopped the test sites, it also threw a major wrench in my study schedule.
I’m back on track now though, so I’ll probably go for a December N2 one this time. Gives me plenty time to study for it, and pass it with a reasonable score. Then onwards to N1, but no rush there.
Not counting on the July one.

3 Likes

London July JLPT has been cancelled. :pensive:

3 Likes

I just wanted to fill out my application and saw that they’re already fully booked in Düsseldorf, Germany :sleepy: They probably have very limited capacities compared to previous years (even though they only offer N1 and N2 in Düsseldorf this year)

And it seems Vienna is canceled. Well, guess that means no JLPT for me again - at least this time I haven’t booked trains and organized everything

2 Likes

That sounds cool actually, if that’s a thing or anyone’s planning to make it a thing please let me know too :eyes:

2 Likes

Are there any online sources that are set-up similarly to WaniKani (interactive) for JLPT practice questions that focus on grammar and sentence structure?

Congrats!!

I reckon Bunpro is as close as you’ll get for grammar and does a great job. You can study the JLPT path, or if you working along with Genki you can follow the textbook path. Hope it helps!

2 Likes

damn, just found out that the test is off in my area for July. Oh well, hopefully December is still open.

1 Like

Maybe if more people are interested it’s something I can organize :thinking: Unless this is already a thing!
I definitely need the motivation and it’d be nice to be held accountable as well :joy:

The thing is, if anyone is interested that would mean we have to agree on which practice exam to use on the day itself, so no one uses it for practice. I’m not sure which practice exams are available, but there is one on the JLPT website and one on jlptsensei.com. These are convenient because they are in the actual JLPT format, so this is the closest to the real thing. There are many practice exercises on japanesetest4you.com that could be combined into a test if necessary, but it would be far less ‘authentic’. These can be used for pratice though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the official mock test(s) would make sense (I think I remember there being two per level on the jlpt website - an older and a newer one. Not sure if the one on jlptsensei is a different one? I’d check but my browser is giving me a security warning when I try to access the official jlpt website - that’s…new?? What’s up with that?)

Though I guess that only matters if there are actually a bunch of people shooting for the same level who want to join in :grimacing:
You’re at a much higher level than I am (I’d probably wanna try N3) so we definitely wouldn’t be taking the same one.
Maybe we could make a new thread with a poll to see if there are more people interested?

3 Likes

I checked jlptsensei and the jlpt website for the N1, and those were two different tests! We could definitely also use the old one on the jlpt website, but the format would be less authentic (that’s not too bad though).

I agree! I think that’s a really good idea, I’ll make a thread to see if there are more people interested!

I’m glad you’re interested in this too!! :smiley: I’ll tag you in the new thread (that I have not made yet haha)!! Wait a second

2 Likes