(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

This is why I need typing practice you see

1 Like

Translation attempt

1. 雑草の名前わかると抜きにくい

Once you know the name of that weed, it’s hard to pull it out.

EDIT: Now that I provided my translation, I read the previous comments :slight_smile:

Ah, interesting take! I thought it means that it’s easier to harm/kill a stranger than a friend.

6 Likes

Mando Way This Is The Way GIF - Mando Way This Is The Way Mandalorian GIFs

1 Like

There’s also here for quickly viewing all translation attempts

Although I tend to delay updating it some days cause my memory is so spotty

1 Like

Maybe like

It’s (emotionally) hard to pull up weeds once you know their names
or for a 5-7-5:
Names of garden weeds.
It’s tearful to pull them up
After you learn them

2 Likes

That’s what I wanted to express as well :joy_cat:

Although in your poem version it sounds a little bit like you’re pulling up the names… or is this just me?

1 Like

It does a bit! It was difficult to fit it into a 5-7-5 without sounding strange added the word garden too

1 Like

I’m using my phone-a-friend (family, actually) to see which sense is more likely. I’m 50/50 — either way makes sense.

I’ll be interested to read what my family thinks. It’s quite possible that it’s open to interpretation in Japanese.

2 Likes

Maybe something like:

Just knowing the names
of the many garden weeds
 - can’t pull them any more

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Quoting myself to bring up the dilemma I’m having with whether にくい is a physical difficulty or a mental difficulty

I’ve heard that づらい = mental and にくい = physical, but just from what I’ve seen, that doesn’t always seem to be the case? Currently reading articles to try and get more info

1 Like

Ooh smart
I like the inclusion of the dash

1 Like

I was actually wondering whether one can derive the intention from that suffix…
Please share your findings!

The first word was hard today, because the way it renders on wanikani is different from the way in rendered in any of my dictionary apps, so I didn’t think I was finding the correct word. I don’t think it’s the Japanese vs. Chinese font thing either, does anyone have any ideas about it? In my dictionary app the tree radical is the angel radical instead.

Edit: the tree radical appears in jisho dot org and here on wanikani, the angel radical appears on kanji lookup, (the app) Japanese, and the autocorrect on my Japanese keyboard on my phone.

Nice. I’ve never heard that put into words like that before, but that’s pretty close to my understanding. づらい definitely seems closer to (potentially emotional) discomfort.

There’s also がたい for things that are nearly impossible.

I suspect that like English there are always exceptions, though.

Is this not what you see?

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 1.55.13 PM

The first character is (ざつ), the character for “random” (link to the WK page).

That’s what I see here on the forum, but not what i see when I type the word using my phone keyboard

Interestingly, when I typed the word here, it automatically changed from the picture above, which was what showed on my keyboard, to the WaniKani/jisho version of 雑草

That is really strange. What do you see if you enter 複雑(ふくざつ) or 雑草(ざっそう) phonetically?

It comes as above in every dictionary app I own. I’m not sure what character you are seeing.

I’m unsure what’s going on if that’s not a Chinese font thing.

1 Like

I use a romaji keyboard for Japanese on my phone, so I’m typing all of these phonetically

If you showed this to me without context, I’d think that’s Chinese, though… (but then again, there are different versions of rendering Japanese characters as well, so what do I know :woman_shrugging:)

Are you sure your phone is set up correctly to show Japanese?

I’m pretty sure, the keyboard is specifically Japanese, the apps are specifically Japanese, I don’t have any trouble with the other kanji that render differently for Chinese that I’ve seen other people talk about in the forum. The kanji renders just fine here too, like I can see both versions, so it’s not that my phone can’t display it

1 Like