(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 晴天がやけに空しい月曜日
    せいてんが・やけにむなしい・げつようび
    clear skies are / extremely pointless / on Monday

Notes:

I think this version captures the feeling quite well, and “extremely pointless” was an inspired choice for やけに空しい.

I’m traveling from 8/10 to 8/20. I should still have time to make updates, but if anyone would like to volunteer to guest-host this thread for any days during my trip, it will be appreciated. I’ll append the steps to the end of this post.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Seniors

1. 祖母が居て「もったいない」を孫覚え

This one really feels like a puzzle/riddle to me. Once again, I know the words but I’m struggling to figure out the meaning. I’m looking forward to getting some help!

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level! Questions and comments are as valued as translation submissions.

Please try not to be disappointed if your translation isn’t selected or if you disagree with the daily choice: the judge isn’t terribly consistent with his grading (and has awful taste!).

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

Daily process for the host

This process is greatly aided with something like Alfred on a Mac that lets you store “snippets” of pre-formatted text with macros and provides multiple cut-n-paste buffers.

1. Reply to the thread with boilerplate like this reply, with appropriate edits.

a. Change the date at top.
    b. Change the previous senryu entry to the previous day’s
    c. Add the reading (I’ve been trying to remember to put “・” between stanzas)
    d. Add the meaning you’ve chosen to go with
    e. Add any notes or other comments you’d like to make
    f. Add the current day’s senryu (I’ve got a secret list of senryu numbers in random order — I’ll provide a guest host with the numbers for the upcoming days when they are hosting).
    g. Add any hints or other comments they’d like to add about the current days poem.

2. Update the top post.

(NOTE: I think only I can edit my own post currently. I’m a little worried about making it a publicly editable wiki, so this step will likely remain my responsibility unless someone has a better suggestion).

a. Move the previously “current” link to the “Previous translations” section.
    b. Add the link to the current day’s entry.

3. Update the spreadsheet.

a. Add the reading (kana) below the original.
    b. Add the date the poem was translated
    c. Add the meaning
    d. Add any notes or other comments

4. Realize you forgot to do steps 2 and 3 on prior days, so go back and do them.

It only takes a few minutes (with Alfred’s assistance) so I’ve not been terribly motivated to automate the process any further. Most of the time is spent deciding what I want to say.