(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Friday, July 22, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 腹の子が胸なでおろす披露宴
    はらのこが・むねなでおろす・ひろうえん
    unborn kid can / finally relax / wedding banquet
  • :confetti_ball: to @pm215

• :trophy: @LaVieQ

• Thanks for helping me figure this out! 腹の子 had me confused. I think @pm215 nailed it: “The idea is the unborn baby can relax now because they’ve made it to the wedding reception and the parents are thus safely married”.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Intense

1. 株下がり何故かうれしいわたしたち

Hmm. I feel like I should understand this one, having worked at so many startups. I think I get it, or at least I have an interpretation from my own experience that makes sense, but I’m not 100% sure it’s what the author intended.

I’ve worked at companies where I felt the leadership was driving a company I cared about off a cliff. It was easy for them to ignore employees comments and concerns while the stock was flying high. It never ceased to amaze me how many VCs, board members, and silly-con valley executives would attribute all successes to their own genius, but negative results were, of course, inevitably due to the actions and ideas of others.

I’m embarrassed to admit I had to use a dictionary even though I ostensibly already “knew” all these characters. For some reason, 株 on it’s lonesome looked unfamiliar (I’d have recognized it instantly in 株式会社(かぶしきがいしゃ), for example).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like