Thursday, July 21, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 評判の愛妻弁当自作です
    ひょうばんの・あいさいべんとう・じさくです
    My famous / wife-packed lunch box / is self-made

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @superelf94

• :trophy: to @LaVieQ

• Tough call today, but I think “handwork” emphasizes that it was made by hand rather than machine. I think the normal phrasing for “something I made” (vs. something made by another) would be “my handiwork”. Apologies, I know this is absurdly nit-picky, but I had to make a call.

• The メッセージ弁当(べんとう) link was great fun. I particularly like the somehow edgy and intimidating font used for this one:

Somehow I hear Bartok or the score from Psycho more than anything soft and relaxing!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Children

1. 腹の子が胸なでおろす披露宴

I’m not even going to pretend I understand this one. Help!

I think なでおろす is 撫で下ろす. Relevant dictionary entry:

ほっと胸をなで下ろす give [heave] a (deep) sigh of relief; feel (greatly) relieved.

We had our 披露宴 in Japan before our formal wedding in the US. Seemed a little strange but it worked out great since we could have more people attend in total.

The etymology of 披露宴(ひろうえん) apparently comes from (ひろ)める and involves spreading the news of a couple’s setting out on their own.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like