(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Thursday, July 14, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 兄さんがいるのでしょうとよく聞かれ
    にいさんが・いるのでしょうかと・よくきかれる
    I’m often / asked: “Have any / elder bros?”

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @LaVieQ

• TIL! “Apparently, women with an elder brother are desirable to Japanese men.”

• This is why I enjoy these so much. It’s as much about learning cultural things as linguistic things. I am enormously entertained when I learn the relationship between watermelons and sumo, or that women with older brothers are considered attractive/desirable in Japan. That we uncover these things in just 17 mora amazes me. (By “we” I mostly mean @LaVieQ, @Myria, etc. — folks who clearly know what they are about! :smile: )

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Ladies

1. スカートのホックつかんでくしゃみする

I think this our first one without any kanji.

No hints because the two katakana words are in most JE dictionaries.

Once again I feel confident that there is no hidden meaning and this is an easy one to translate. Once again, I expect to be proven wrong!

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.