Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Previous senryu

1. ゴミ収集の前日わが家スイカの日
    ごみしゅう・しゅうのまえびわがや・すいかのひ
    Our “Watermelon day” falls the day before garbage day

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @superelf94

• :trophy: @LaVieQ

• As usual I applied liberal editorial privilege. I really liked “conveniently” capturing the spirit, but since it wasn’t in the original, I felt better about adding an implied “falls” instead. I don’t think there’s any way to capture this one with a 3-5-3 or 4-5-4. I gave up on even creating three stanzas!

• As discussed, large amounts of 生ゴミ can be inconvenient in Japan. It makes sense to schedule activities.

• Apparently, スイカの() really is a thing invented by growers in Japan. It falls on 7/27 which is a rhyming pun on (なつ)(つな). The “rope” is from the striped pattern on the rind which is reminiscent of a Yokozuna (Sumo) belt.

• This one gets a star as I enjoyed the discussion and the 7/27 thing interested me!

Obligatory photo of Chiyonofuji (the wolf) who will always have a special place in my heart as the greatest ever in the sport!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Corona

1. 掃除して! 一応これでも 勤務中

No hints, but this one hits close to home (laugh). It still amazes me that the entire planet has now “worked” from home for so long.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like