(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Friday, June 24, 2022

Previous senryu

220: 「がんばろう生きているから悩めるの」
がんばろう・いきているから・なやめるの
To be alive / is to face troubles. / Give it your all!

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @LaVieQ 先輩

• :trophy: to @KJules

• Colloquially, the の at the end acts as an emphasizer. As pointed out by @LaVieQ, it’s used like よ to emphasize reassurance or empathy when at the end of a sentence (and not spoken with a rising inflection). Example: 休みが終わるまででいいの “(No worries!) It can wait until the end of your break/vacation”

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt (しみじみ編)

284: 「 父母の幼き写真見る不思議」

Finally! I had to look up a word again: (おさな). I knew the meaning but not the reading.

This one reminds me of a post I made recently in another thread! For a change, I’m nearly 100% confident on how to interpret this one (the hubris before a fall?).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like