(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Well, so much for using a poll to help make my decision easier!

Previous senryu

1. 恋人のモーニングコール起きて待つ
    こいびとの・モーニングコール・おきてまつ
    Awake but / waiting for my love’s / call to rise

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @LaVieQ, @valvictorine, @fallynleaf
  • As punishment for not naming a clear winner, I created a new entry.
  • The alliteration and repetition of the word (or partial word) “wake” started to grate, so I opted to avoid the direct translation of “wake-up call”.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Salaryman

1. 久しぶり 定時帰宅に 笑顔なし!

It’s starting to amaze me how many of these recent ones I can read without a dictionary now. Daily reading practice, even just 17 (おん) per day really seems to pay off.

No hints because all of these are pretty common words and taught on Wanikani. (ひさし)しぶり ([after a] long time) is the most advanced from level 34.

While I understand all the words, it doesn’t mean I necessarily understand the intended meaning. I can think of at least a couple different interpretations.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like