(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Friday, June 17, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 思いやり思い上がりと紙一重
    おもいやり・おもいあがりと・かみひとえ
    Thoughtfulness is / a paper-thin step / from presumption

Notes:

• :trophy: to LaVieQ for a nice poetic interpretation
  • I went with my own translation as I think it’s most faithful to the original Japanese: “paper-thin (step)” vs “fine line”, and I think “thoughtfulness/presumption” are closer than “sympathy/conceit” in this context (though that’s quite subjective).
  • I find it interesting that at first glance (at least to this native English speaker), 一重(ひとえ) seems to have a different connotation here than in 63. 「目は一重アゴ二重に腹は三重」. If you think about it though, it’s really not. It’s just that “one layer” (or “one layer thick”) is applied to different objects (paper and eyes, respectively). I was familiar with the eye usage, but this was a new one for me.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt (しみじみ編)

1. 恋人のモーニングコール起きて待つ

Wowza. Yet another connotation for しみじみ <blushes>. Easy to read, though (no character beyond level 17).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like