(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Previous senryu

1. ゴメンネの代わりか皿を洗ってる
    ごめんねのかわりかさらをあらってる
    “I’m sorry” substitute? Dishwashing.

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: @alo

• “I’m using punctuation as part of the translation here to indicate what’s meant by か and keeping the first part as a noun in the English version.”

• This award is almost entirely due to @alo 's incredible ability to go back and stealth edit this senryu everyplace it was written, including the original website, and add that か in the middle that I’LL SWEAR TO MY GRAVE WAS NOT THERE WHEN I LOOKED AT THIS YESTERDAY!

• The human brain freaks me out. This isn’t the first time this has happened here! Apparently when I read Japanese the 送り仮名 completely disappears. I know we read words at a time in English or Japanese, but it’s increasingly apparent that “extra” kana easily blends in with adjacent 送り仮名. Did anyone else experience this?!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Global truths

1. 思いやり思い上がりと紙一重

I can “read” every bit of this without a dictionary. But I still don’t know what it means! (Yet.)

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser. The 語源(ごげん)由来(ゆらい)辞典(じてん) is also an excellent resource for researching the etymology of various words and expressions.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

1 Like