Friday, May 27, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 相合傘濡れてるほうが惚れている
    あいあいがさ / ぬれてるほうが / ほれている
    when sharing an / umbrella the one who’s wet / is more in love

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @Axazel who is on a roll
  • :trophy: to @LaVieQ for a strong contender
  • I also initially had LaVieQ’s interpretation at first glance but then came to the same understanding as Axazel. My only slight quibble is the word “more” being applied to in love rather than being wet! But the judges let it stand. :grin:

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Ladies

1. オフクロの好きなタレント役しだい

Hints:

• A “talent” is basically a TV personality. Usually singers or actors of some sort.

• I’ve no idea why オフクロ is in katakana!
  • Something I didn’t realize: オフクロ is a colloquial expression for one’s mother!

My interpretation:

I think it’s saying whether or not the author likes a “talent” depends on their handbag. But I’m still puzzling out the wording. I think 好きなタレント and オフクロの役しだい are standalone phrases just weirdly ordered for the purposes of a poem. I’ve been wrong before! Curious to see how others interpret this one, but now that I know オフクロ means one’s mother, I think オフクロの好きなタレント is a single phrase meaning “the tv personality my mother likes”. So maybe: “Which ‘talent’ my mum likes depends on their utility” (but I’m struggling to understand how liking one talent vs. another might be useful in different situations).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes