(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

I like that. In fact, I think it works best as a one-liner. I’m starting to wonder whether the English equivalent of Senryu is one-liners rather than any form of syllabic prose.

3 Likes

Well done! I struggled with it for a bit, then threw in the towel.

Making multi-syllable words work is incredibly satisfying.

I wasn’t familiar with 一目惚れ either. To be fair, I read a lot more 囲碁(いご) and 大工(だいく) books than love stories!

2 Likes

I have been quietly wondering that as well.

The only thing I like about the line breaks, there’s a higher potential to make puns or have more of a “twist” at the end.

You mean to tell me they never write sentences such as 囲碁一目惚れして碁盤をすぐに買った ? :laughing: Joking aside, those both seem like they’re pretty technical. I bet you know a lot of cool niche words!

1 Like

Niche for sure, “cool” is debatable. :smile:

I’m still learning words, though. I just learned 金版(かなばん) this past weekend, for example (both the word and how to use one). Kenkyusho says it’s also a brass die for printing, but the one I learned about is just a steel bar mostly used for sharpening the back of plane blades. Weird reading and there is nothing remotely related to gold or money, it’s using the “metal” meaning for the first character.

Well this is interesting. I did a little research for the (ほけ) character. Apparently, it’s not just used for falling in love, you can also write () as ()! I guess love does make us all fools.

It’s not that uncommon a character, but it’s not taught on Wanikani.

3 Likes

あいあいがさぬれてるほうがほれている (hmm… looks like 6-7-5 to me)

4-5-4 attempt:
Getting wet 'neath / a shared umbrella: / Falling in love

Not sure if using the poetic version of “beneath” to achieve syllable count is fair, but I like it…

My reading is different than @Axazel 's, which is quite charming too (i.e. the one who is wetter is so because he/she cares more for the other). To me, the ほうが seems to be stating that the experience of getting wet under a shared umbrella ( as opposed to being together at a movie, restaurant, etc) is the way to fall in love. I could well be very wrong, and it won’t be the first or last time either. :wink:

4 Likes

Friday, May 27, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 相合傘濡れてるほうが惚れている
    あいあいがさ / ぬれてるほうが / ほれている
    when sharing an / umbrella the one who’s wet / is more in love

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @Axazel who is on a roll
  • :trophy: to @LaVieQ for a strong contender
  • I also initially had LaVieQ’s interpretation at first glance but then came to the same understanding as Axazel. My only slight quibble is the word “more” being applied to in love rather than being wet! But the judges let it stand. :grin:

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Ladies

1. オフクロの好きなタレント役しだい

Hints:

• A “talent” is basically a TV personality. Usually singers or actors of some sort.

• I’ve no idea why オフクロ is in katakana!
  • Something I didn’t realize: オフクロ is a colloquial expression for one’s mother!

My interpretation:

I think it’s saying whether or not the author likes a “talent” depends on their handbag. But I’m still puzzling out the wording. I think 好きなタレント and オフクロの役しだい are standalone phrases just weirdly ordered for the purposes of a poem. I’ve been wrong before! Curious to see how others interpret this one, but now that I know オフクロ means one’s mother, I think オフクロの好きなタレント is a single phrase meaning “the tv personality my mother likes”. So maybe: “Which ‘talent’ my mum likes depends on their utility” (but I’m struggling to understand how liking one talent vs. another might be useful in different situations).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes

I was wondering about this when I was translating too! If I’m being honest, I actually have a secret theory…

I think there is a double-entendres here :speak_no_evil:

方 can also be used to refer to one of two people.
Check out this site for example sentences here. But in this case it’s almost always pronounced かた, not ほう.

I was going to give up on my theory there, but! I googled this 川柳 online and found online that the kanji 方 is often used, which means this could actually be read either ほう or かた! If that’s the case then…

方 is actually referring to both 濡れてるかた “the person that is wet” AND ほうが惚れている“more in love” at once. Which would be clever, make everyone’s translation correct, and be crazy difficult to capture in English!! :caught_durtling:

hope you guys geek out as much as I do

3 Likes

Hmm. Not sure about this. I think ()れている(ほう)が惚れてる means “the one who’s wet is in love” plain and simple (with either reading, actually).

AさんとBさんがあちにいるよ。Aさんはどちらですか?火焼(ひや)けている(ほう)。(The one who is more sunburned.)

Not much worry about that!

2 Likes

Guess I should keep my secret musings a secret :shushing_face: I thought it was a fun little theory, and made for a good study.

3 Likes

Oh, no! Much more fun if we all share our thoughts.

I hadn’t thought about reading it as かた but that might also work, I think (without changing the meaning).

2 Likes

Where did you find the version that uses ほう and not kanji, I wonder?

(It is more fun to share :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

At the same place I found all of them. Under the heading

世の真理編(世界不変の法則なり) 33首

1 Like

Thank you for that! Hmm… I usually don’t like to bother my husband with my studies, but this time I just might. Otherwise I could be ruminating over this ほう forever :rofl: There may be such a thing as looking too deep into things.

Speaking of! Now on to today’s one…

2 Likes

I have no idea what you mean! :wink:

2 Likes

Aha!

I think I’ve figured it out. It all hinges on this usage of (やく):

…の役でテレビに出る appear on television in the role of…

I knew it could mean “role” but I thought it was only about responsibilities, I didn’t realize it’s also used for acting. That is: a “role” as in “bit part” rather than “corporate liason”. I’m always fascinated when both languages use the same word in multiple similar senses.

Translation attempt

1. オフクロの好きなタレント役しだい

オフクロの・すきなタレント・やくしだい

Mom’s favorite
“talent” actor depends on
the role they’re in

I triple checked the count: 4-5-4! :laughing:

I’m going with “actor” rather than “talent” as the latter should really be pronounced with three syllables: “talento”.

4 Likes

オフクロの()きなタレント(やく)しだい

the actor
that mom likes depends
on the role

3 Likes

I only came up with clunky versions of what you both put, so I will sit on the side and support you guys :laughing:

2 Likes

Half the time I don’t put in a translation is because of the English rather than the Japanese so I’m right there with you. :laughing:

3 Likes

Excellent 3-5-3 — nicely done.

A very direct translation to boot! (But somehow I couldn’t find it!)

There’s an extremely subtle difference in the interpretations. The feeling I get is closer to

mom liking or disliking a particular actor depending on their role. Your interpretation leans slightly toward liking whichever actor is in a particular role.

But that’s nitpicking. (laugh) Your 3-5-3 beats my 4-5-4.

2 Likes

Saturday, May 28, 2022

Previous senryu

1. オフクロの好きなタレント役しだい
    オフクロの・すきなタレント・やくしだい
    the actor / that mom likes depends / on the role

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @fallynleaf for a perfect 3-5-3
  • オフクロ is a colloquial expression for one’s mother. This was news to me! Apparently it’s a warm expression with no negative connotations (exactly unlike “an old bag” in English). I don’t know the etymology but I’ve seen some discussion about it actually relating to the womb!
  • A タレント is a TV personality, usually a singer or an actor.
  • (I accidentally numbered this incorrectly yesterday. It’s actually #71, not #72.)

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Various settings

1. 「絶対にヒミツ」飛びかう昼休み

If I understand this one correctly, the setting reminds me very much of an office where I used to work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes