(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Previous senryu

1. しみじみと妻のイビキを聞いている
    しみじみと・つまのイビキを・きいている
    I’m listening, / keenly attentive / — my wife’s snoring

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to Axazel with “my whole heart / absorbed in the sound of my / wife snoring”. This felt the most poetic to me.
  • But I decided to go with my own because of the grading rules (in the top post): it’s a 4-5-4 and doesn’t introduce any words other than “I’m” and “my” (but English phrases usually need subjects!). I also like that it leaves the reason for the “keenly attentive listening” (しみじみと聞いている) open to the reader’s interpretation.

REQUEST

Multiple submissions are fine, but please don’t put them in same reply. I still count “likes” when deciding winners winners and if there are multiple submissions in a reply, I don’t know which one is being liked. Multiple replies are fine (even if Discourse might encourage you to combine them).

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Global Truths

1. こんなおれでもこの世ではオンリーワン

This one proves that it’s not the kanji that make these tricky to interpret!

My thought (hardly a “hint” because I have very little confidence in my interpretation, but you may want to work on your own interpretation before revealing this, regardless):

I think the author just did something silly/stupid/embarassing. 「こんな!」is an exclamation I’ve heard for something that seems stupid or annoying. So I think this is basically about being the only person on earth who could do something so stupid. I’m slightly puzzled by the でも, however.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

2 Likes