(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 横の子をあやして泣かれ席を立つ
    よこのこを・あやしてなかれ・せきをたつ
    My attempt to comfort the kid next to me made them cry, so I got up and left.

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: to @KJules (well done, none of the rest of us got it)
  • I’ve noticed with many of these that once they are explained, the grammar makes complete sense
  • The keys to this one was realizing it was a 横にいる子 not 横になっている子, and realizing that 席を立つ has a strong sense of leaving, not just getting out of your chair. Oh, and あやしてなかれ implies the comforting caused the crying. So yeah, you have to figure out all of it to understand any of it!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Heartfelt

1. しみじみと妻のイビキを聞いている

Note that this is in the しみじみ編 which I’ve been calling the “heartfelt” volume, but that’s not a very good translation. I think this is just one of those words with no perfect English equivalent. That word should be the only difficult part with this one (famous last words).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.!

3 Likes