(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Special “I just had my eyes dilated” edition (I was in for a checkup on my self-diagnosed CSFS*1). Apologies in advance for any typos or other mistakes — everything on my screen is even blurrier than usual.

Previous senryu

1. 更にヤな事ありどうでもよくなった
    さらにヤな・ことありどうでも・よくなった
    Here yet again / unpleasant business / I just don’t care

Notes:

• It appears that any time I think something is pretty straightforward we will be sure to have lots of discussion proving me wrong!
  • Apologies for choosing my own interpretation. The 4-5-4 made me happy and I think it captures the spirit pretty well. It just ekes out a win over @GearAid’s “A bad event on / yet another bad event / Don’t care anymore” 5-7-5.
  • :confetti_ball: to @GearAid for much well-researched and well-argued commentary (and for teaching me クッション()) and to @alo for connecting this to Linkin Park. Now there’s an unexpected connection. (God I love this thread!)
  • :trophy: @Arzar33 and @Axazel for also submitting very strong contenders.

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Seniors

1. 恋かと思っていたら 不整脈

I’ll be curious if GearAid gets a chuckle out of this one like I did (we’re in somewhat different age brackets!).

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

*1 CSFS: Can’t see for … something

2 Likes