The carelessness method

What is a burn out?

1 Like

It’s where you get exhausted and overwhelmed from doing too much/having too much work to do.

1 Like

Haven’t been there yet in my life. From what it sounds I hope I won’t be there…

1 Like

Don’t read and drive, please.

I presume he means street signs not Manga!

Let’s not rush to conclusions, please.

1 Like

LOL I listen to audiobooks while I drive so I don’t need to do pleasure reading. I read street signs, building signs (and in the US, clever bumper stickers).

Reviews piling up is one, but also because you’re overloading your brain constantly with things you don’t know, it becomes easy to let mistakes and misunderstanding demoralise and set you back.

2 Likes

To help with grammar this year, I decided to examine 15 sentences in japanese a day. Some are sentences I write, some are context sentences in WK, Renshuu, Jisho, Japanese Pod, Japanese Twitter or something someone posts in this forum in the japanese section. My actual grammar studies are slow…because I need a lot of examples and I need them to be broken down. Understanding the gist of it and just getting in the habit of writing slightly off sentences has been really helpful in improving my overall reading comprehension.

I’m a big color coder and I learn through pattern recognition, so being able to learn vocab, kanji, and grammar all at once is super helpful. And I review the previous 2-3 day sentences (so 30-45 sentences) which helps to establish familiarity. I almost wish I did it earlier, but I think at level 8 you know enough vocab to really begin putting sentences together.

1 Like

this method sounds a bit like the 4500 sentences Tofugu workbook. sounds good. now, you can probably find those sentences on your own, but the explanatory text on this is nice, and maybe the way they actually sort the sentences by frequency of things may be helpful to you as well.

3 Likes

Ah! Yes! Thank you, and the sale on it is soo good right now too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is what I do. If I don’t know something right away, I tend to give it ten to fifteen seconds for my brain to cycle through subconsciously, as sometimes the mnemonic or answer pops in. If it doesn’t though, I take a guess and move on. My accuracy can end up pretty low at first, but after a few repeat reviews it becomes easier.

1 Like

I am happy with carelessness method. This is the result. I hit walls at level 10 and level 25. After breaking those walls I noticed tremendous amount of improvement from reading to listening japanese. Now I can feel that I can read faster and recognize written japanese more naturally. While listening japanese news, now I can understand what is subject about, and I can follow youtube videos.

Sidenote: When i reach a wall, my accuracy drops as low as 20%. But after breaking that wall, I go at full speed with accuracy over 70%. And I just remember easily kanjis both learned before and learning at the moment.

2 Likes

Walls are pretty common in learning anything. When I was studying jujutsu, we had a term for it: “green belt syndrome”. Basically, you would be progressing normally, everything fine, but then there’d be a point where your technique would just fall apart and nothing would work. Then, immediately after, your technique would improve dramatically. Basically, it was a case where your brain had suddenly learned a new, better way to organize knowledge, but it needed to reintegrate. So it became a thing to be desired, because you knew it was actually a good thing, if frustrating in the moment.

You see this in children as they learn language. For example, at first, they’ll learn words by rote, and get past tenses fine, using “went” and such. Then at some point, they learn the -ed rule and use it indiscriminately. The “goed” period. All the irregular verbs get the new rule applied. Many a new parent panics, thinking their child is regressing, but in reality, they’ve generalized, just a little too much. Eventually, they learn the exceptions to the rule.

So when I hit walls, I just push on and look forward to the new tricks my brain has in store for when it finishes reformatting or whatever.

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve experienced this pretty clearly with my limited experience of WaniKani. One day I’ll be getting 30% and feel like I am barely able to remember anything… then the next day all of a sudden the answer will just pop into my subconscious. It can be pretty demotivating, so I appreciate the insight!

5 Likes

Yeah, the plateauing/hitting a wall can be really demotivating, for sure. Thinking of it as just a step in the process and letting your brain do its thing really does help, in my experience. Just relax and it will come back, stronger than before.

1 Like

yeah, i’ve been using this before, and it’s fine. there’s one caveat though.

wanikani is a srs, and simultaneously going max speed and low accuracy will lead to reviews snowballing to the point where you’ll drown in reviews. you’ll also accumulate leeches, which normally is doable on wk because of it’s time-gated content flow, but the rate at which they will go up will outpace your attempts to push them up the ladder and out of the queue.

the solution is to set yourself hard limits: x reviews a day and none more. then you set up your max lessons accordingly.

this will take more time than most people here are willing to spend, but it will be manageable, pleasant and effective.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.