The carelessness method

“n” is the most efficient answer keystroke to move on from a review you don’t know.

1 Like

Why would it be more efficient than “a”, “e”, “o”, “u”, “i”?

1 Like

I write さあ. Aside from being pretty easy to type, it also means “who knows?”, so it works nicely. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

If each answer just required you to type exactly one word(some do require more, but not that many), 100 reviews in 10 minutes would just require you to type 20 words/min which isn’t very much. In other words, I’m guessing it has more to do with the amount of time spent thinking about stuff than typing speed (at least it’s that way for me, and I do reviews at a similar speed to kumirei… if on a computer, about half of that speed on my phone)

(Unlike kumirei I don’t use those scripts though, so it’s also definitely possible to do reviews pretty quickly without them too)

3 Likes

So, first review session: I was constantly getting the same items wrong (mainly ones I had just learnt, but some older ones too). Is this normal? It seems to be slowing me down a lot. I don’t have time to actually use the radicals, I have to rely on bruteforce subconscious memorisation (which is slooow af, at least in the short term).

My guess to fix this is that I hinder my speed by taking the time commit the ones I get wrong to short term memory, but I’m not sure if this is the best idea considering the point of doing the reviews this way. Hmm…

Otherwise, though, it’s okay… although I’m enjoying it less, and I’m finding it a bit more stessful because I still need to get used to being on a time limit for each item. I guess things will get better in the future.

1 Like

Woops, there was a typo in there, it was supposed to be 15-30 mins… I’ll just edit that in…

I just type the first thing that comes to mind and then double tap enter to move onto the next. But at the max, 350ish in 30ish mins, that’s 23ish typings a minute, which isn’t super lightning fast, even less if there’s some radicals in there. Usually it’s not that high though, it’s mostly at about the 280 range.

Get a lot of stuff wrong at first, but similar to what else has been said here. When you venture into the long grass and encounter wild kanji you’re probably only going to have a few seconds to decide if it’s supposed to be しょう or しゅう, こく or かく.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer ^^

Oh, so you don’t think too much about the answer, you just type ? Even for items you learned recently, or items you haven’t seen in a while, or leeches ?
When I get something wrong I always review the right answer, and when there are several answers possible, I always review them too, even if I got the answer right.

Sorry, some people in here are so fast, I’m just trying to understand how come I’m so different xD

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer !
So you don’t mind reviewing items many many times until you get them right ?
And what if nothing comes to mind ? You just type whatever to get to the next item ?
Do you check alternate answers sometimes ?
Ah, and what about typos ?
Sorry for the many questions, trying to understand your method xD

2 Likes

I think it’s something I should try. from this level wanikani starts becoming hard. it shows true understanding if you’re getting the answer right fast. and the reviews also take me a lot of time.

1 Like

I have my mobile keyboard set up so that it shows the Japanese keyboard first, and I need switch for typing non-Japanese. So I have to actually type readings using the IME on mobile.

1 Like

I am a big advocator of this kind of methodology where you don’t focus on getting everything correct. I really believe if you try to get everything 100% it hinders your ability to progress rapidly. This is why most language courses suck. I can’t find the source but there was a study comparing peoples learning in 2 groups. The other group skimmed a lot of material without really understanding everything and the other group went thoroughly through the text. Turns out the group who put quantity > quality learned more in the end. I also remember reading that immediate correction for example for speech doesn’t really help.

I also apply this in my grammar studies as in I try to get the jist of it but don’t sit down to learn every nuance of the points. Learning it by examples works best for me. I think especially for a beginner you get to the “groove” of the language faster and subconsciously start to see different patterns. If you just methodically study grammar it is much harder to get there and slows your ability to “feel” it.

I think there was a user here on WK who said he/she would only do new lessons when she got 100% correct on everything before. Talk about damaging your learning…

4 Likes

No, I don’t mind (well it can be amusingly frustrating but not mind in the general of things), some items (mostly newly learnt ones) I’ll get wrong like 10 times in one review, but they stick eventually.
If nothing comes to mind I just keyboard smash on English input (which, for some reason always ends up as JAg) or write a quick hiragana like く or something on Japanese input.
I try and mix up my answers but if I’m unsure on an alt. meaning I’ll look it up later to check.

I make a lot of typos! Sometimes I’ll make a stupid mistake on an item that was going to be enlightened, it’s not biggie really, the more I have to redo it the more it’ll drill it in.

But don’t fret about not being fast enough or too slow or anything. We all learn at different paces, some people just mush their faces into it others spend time to arduously learn each individual word.

My method is just to learn like a kid does, you know, as a baby you’re surrounded by all these elongated human people mumbling weird noises at each other. But you just copy them over and over and eventually you can speak. Same thing as an adult, just overexpose yourself to the language and it seeps in, copy what you hear over and over, don’t be scared of failure just keep doing it.
I try and not think about kanji and Japanese as translations but more as, sort of like associating feelings with the kanji. So as soon as I seen a kanji, it’s not thinking “that’s the kanji for that which means this which is spoken like this”, it’s that kanji is this feeling-thing… for example like, 緑 it feels like the colour green with those doodly-little-dangly-green things it’s got… If that makes any sense what-so-ever

Kind of going on a tangent here…

2 Likes

Hahaha thank you Zakarius ^^

I’m currently trying to learn being comfortable with failing, and your kind reply helps me ^^
I liked your xplanation with 緑… do you have synesthesia ? It makes me think of this somehow.

Thank you again :star2::sparkles:

1 Like

100% the best way to learn, but it can lead to serious burn out.

I treat my daily wanikani reviews as a game I have to play daily. 10-15 minutes of just getting through 80-100 reviews as quickly and accurately as possible. I constantly push myself to do as much as I can in the shortest amount of time, and it makes the grind more manageable since it isn’t a great time commitment.

4 Likes

Yes, I think about it for a few seconds and then just accept the “loss” and check what the right answer was and try to remember that until next time, pretty much.

3 Likes

Glad it helped! :smile:

Pretty sure I don’t have synesthesia, I’m a visual learner/minded though, so they’re quite similar I suppose!

Because ‘n’ gets turned interpreted as ‘ん’ when answering a reading question so WK doesn’t shake it off as user input error or incomplete kana. For meaning questions, there is no English word ‘n’ to be accidentally accepted by WK’s lenient spellchecker.

2 Likes

That is the same for all the ones I posted as well, though. Nvm, I guess some kanji have those as readings

Oh, in what way? Having too many reviews?