The BookWalker Freebies Thread

Looks like this one is free too:

I haven’t read it myself, but I’ve heard it’s popular.

5 Likes

Yeah the manga is pretty funny. I read the first two or three volumes in english.

1 Like

Many of the old shonen classics are also free in colour. example:

Dragonball starter book

One Piece

Hunter X Hunter

Just search for starter book for the full list

Edit: Looks like it is not the complete books, but some highlights from each series

6 Likes

While this one is only on a Limited Free Trial, I’m finding it a fairly easy-ish read thanks to the furigana and easy-ish vocabulary. I’m currently 12% through it and it’s quite cute, so I wanted to recommend it!

https://bookwalker.jp/de8b82b753-771b-49f2-ba2d-2de30eb05a11/

4 Likes
15 November 2020

The House of Nightmares - Ghost Hunt (2012) - 8.29 - Comedy, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Shoujo, Supernatural

Asper Girl (2018) - 7.61 - Drama, Psychological, Romance, Seinen, Slice of Life

Sweetness and Lightning (2013) - 8.31 - Comedy, Seinen, Slice of Life

Seraph of the End (2012) - 7.59 - Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Shounen, Supernatural, Tragedy

Princess Resurrection (2005) - 8.11 - Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Harem, Horror, School Life, Shounen, Supernatural

Boarding School Juliet (2015) - 7.88 - Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Harem, Romance, School Life, Shounen

Cestus - The Legend of Boxing in the Dark Ages (1997) - 7.52 - Action, Historical, Martial Arts, Mature, Seinen, Tragedy

The Quintessential Quintuplets (2017) - 7.8 - Comedy, Drama, Harem, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Shounen

Mariko at 80 (2016) - 7.29 - Comedy, Drama, Josei, Slice of Life

Altair: Tale of The Great War (2007) - 8.35 - Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Shounen

Girl’s Fight (2005) - 7.86 - Drama, Romance, School Life, Seinen, Sports

New Kamen Rider Spirits (2009) - 10.0 - Action, Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi, Shounen

Ace of the Diamond: Act II (2015) - 8.7 - Comedy, School Life, Shounen, Sports

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (2013) - 8.1 - Action, Adventure, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem, Romance, Seinen

Tedium Children (2012) - 8.35 - Comedy, Romance, School Life, Shounen, Slice of Life

Tokyo Revengers (2017) - 7.73 - Action, Drama, Mystery, Romance, Shounen, Supernatural

What are you doing here, sensei!? (2016) - 7.76 - Adult, Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School Life, Seinen

A Condition Called Love (2017) - 7.8 - Drama, Romance, School Life, Shoujo

Bakemonogatari (2018) - 7.67 - Action, Comedy, Drama, Ecchi, Harem, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Shounen, Supernatural

Pastel (2002) - 7.94 - Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School Life, Shounen, Slice of Life

Old Knight in Frontier - Bard Loen (2016) - 7.85 - Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Seinen

Glow of the Fireflies (2004) - 7.84 - Comedy, Josei, Romance, Slice of Life

Pure Sound (2010) - 7.42 - Comedy, Drama, School Life, Shounen, Slice of Life

Minami-ke (2004) - 7.97 - Comedy, School Life, Seinen, Slice of Life

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches (2012) - 8.25 - Comedy, Drama, Ecchi, Gender Bender, Harem, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Shounen, Slice of Life, Supernatural

Smile down the Runway (2017) - 7.74 - Romance, School Life, Shounen, Slice of Life

Red Eyes (1999) - 8.09 - Action, Drama, Mecha, Sci-fi, Shounen

My Wife is Wagatsuma-san (2011) - 7.7 - Comedy, Drama, Harem, Romance, School Life, Sci-fi, Shounen, Supernatural

4 Likes

I’ve developed a (bad?) habit of looking for free-to-keep books on bookwalker regularly, and I noticed the first two volumes of ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 are currently free until the 27th.

A very pleasant slice of life series about an android coffee shop proprietor, it’s never been officially translated into English. Has a soft spot in my heart as well since a tweet about it is what directly made me realize I could try learning Japanese.

Anyway - if I’d known about bookwalker at the time (and known about the freebies) maybe I wouldn’t have gotten into the habit of filling my apartment with imported books although the physical editions are cool…

15 Likes

The first volume of ボーイズ・ラン・ザ・ライオット is free to keep right now on bookwalker.

I haven’t read it yet, but I’ve seen it mentioned on the forum recently (e.g. here), in a way that made me very much want to read it, so I thought I’d mention it in case that was true for other people too!
There’s also a handful of other free stuff related to the manga periodical ヤングマガジン, but I don’t see anything that pops out as something I’ve read or heard about, so I can’t vouch for any of it yet.

Also I didn’t notice since I already have it (but haven’t read it yet…), but a manga often mentioned as a good beginner starting place, Flying Witch, has a couple volumes free right now as well.

15 Likes

Thanks for posting!! I picked up Boys Run the Riot and Flying Witch because of this post!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, thank you for Boys Run the Riot!

I also got interested in it after seeing it mentioned on the forum, but wasn’t sold after browsing through the sample. Still added it to the wishlist under “maybe?”. So this is a perfect chance :sparkles:
(it’s free for Kindle too)

4 Likes

“Purchased” the first volume(s) of Tokyo Revengers, Tonikaku Kawaii and Shadows house for free ^^ Also have purchased fruits basket, but that one will expire next week unfortunately :sob: Going to try to read it this weekend for as far as I can get!

1 Like

the first 17 books of この(おと)()まれ。it’s aviable until 13.07. I highly recommend the series, and it is a great way to get enough material if you plan to read a lot this summer. (looking at you guys :books::books: Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 :beach_umbrella::beach_umbrella: )

https://bookwalker.jp/de1422e053-5e36-4f0b-bfaf-137b04e0d22b/

7 Likes

There’s a bunch of free-to-keep stuff as part of a promotion with a “想像の斜め上を行く” theme centered around that one manga where The Joker is a single parent raising Batman as a baby. (which is itself sadly not free)

I don’t have anything specifically to recommend from it, I just think that’s a funny reason for a sale.
(And it seems like a nice pile of free weird stuff)

Oh, also a different campaign with some cool stuff like Vinland Saga (which I’ve read some of in English and can definitely recommend) and 波よ聞いてくれ (which I’ve read some of in English and definitely want to try in Japanese some time since it seemed heavily laden with cultural references)

Also, another campaign. Seems like there’s a lot today.

14 Likes

I found a lot of promising-looking series! Thanks for the heads-up about all the campaigns, @rodan !

4 Likes

Thank you so much! Didn’t expect to see Kino no Tabi there. It’s definitely too early for me to attempt it, but what a nice find~!

3 Likes

As long as you’re aware it’s the manga adaptation not the light novel (which is here), I’m happy!

(I’ve got a physical edition of that same volume after confusing those when I meant to get the light novel some years ago…)

Speaking of manga adaptations of light novels, I happened to notice two different (this and this) 本好きの下克上 manga series appear to have a volume free for a few more days – hard for me to spot because the titles are so long… but I’ve sometimes suspected there’s people on this forum who like that novel series so perhaps these would be of interest to them or others.

3 Likes

I feel your pain… I bought 5 volumes of the manga from ひげをする instead of the LN :frowning: Don’t want to have the series twice so the manga will have to do for now. Luckily reading manga is way easier for me right now, a novel would be near impossible xD

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out Vinland Saga - read at least the content of the first three volumes in English so should be nice to visit in Japanese (though I don’t think I’ll be ready for it for a good while). Also picked up Inuyashiki which I’ve heard about before and been interested in reading - skimming through the first chapter it looks like it might be doable (though I guess I’d need to see how it gets later on)

Also managed to find this interesting-looking sentai-themed manga, which is something I’ll have to give a go (can’t seem to find any info on it in English, and looks like it’s a fairly new series). Unfortunately that is only a limited sample so I’ll probably need to get the full volume when I get to it. Has furigana at least, so that makes looking things up much easier while my kanji-knowledge is still fairly low

1 Like

Hey, thanks everyone for keeping this thread fairly active! I would not have known about BookWalker otherwise, and it’s going to be nice to have a decent source of free Japanese literature to practice with.

4 Likes

Glad to see this thread active again. I hope @curiousjp is doing alright. I appreciated their posts and found lots (almost too much) to read.

5 Likes

I don’t actually know why (I don’t see a specific promotion), but the first volume of おとなになっても by 志村貴子, the author of 放浪息子 (Wandering Son) is free right now until July 11. This was on my wishlist and I know there’s plenty of other people on the forum who like Wandering Son (and I think one might even have recommended me this series…) so this was a nice one to see!

Also, there’s some free stuff related to the women’s manga magazine BE・LOVE (promotion page / free stuff page). Nothing I can personally vouch for, but they may catch your eye.

I’m happy to hear people are glad to see this thread still active! I know I would have found it very useful if I had noticed it when it was new, and putting books in people’s hands is always a nice feeling!

If you wanted a bunch of shojo-ish (?) manga specifically with people’s names in the titles, you’re in luck because that’s the theme of this set.

17 Likes