The Amazon.JP Reviews Thread

Basically, I will post a review from Amazon.co.jp every once in a while so we can all practice our self assessment. We can argue about translations and stuff and things…

To start us off…oh…also, I think 1 star reviews are usually more fun to read so…

カスタマーレビュー
5つ星のうち1.0
文字だけのページはいただけない
投稿者Kobo1592018年1月10日
形式: 単行本(ソフトカバー)
ノートの文は全文を載せる必要はないと思うし、マンガなんだからそこも絵で表現しないと。
さらっと読むマンガから、いきなりの長文は切り替えができなくて読むのが苦痛になります。
これなら最初から小説の方にすればよかったと思いました

EDIT also, when you finish translating a review, feel free to copy and paste a new review below your translation with a short explanation of what is being reviewed.

6 Likes

My assessment of the first 3 lines

Customer Review
1 star out of 5
The pages with only characters (letters) were not humbly received. (i.e. I did not like them)

I will royally suck at this regardless, but would it be helpful to know what the item being reviewed is? Just might give a little context.

1 Like

A randomly selected book…I just clicked the first thing I saw. And yeah, same here. I will mostly be guessing for the grammar with a little bit of dictionary help along the way.

EDIT since this is also in Japanese, not sure if that is helpful or not…
SECOND EDIT, more context, apparently it is a manga, but this dude seems to be suggesting that there are not enough pictures…

Cool, thanks :slight_smile: Just knowing it’s a manga is helpful.

1 Like

My translation attempt:

I don’t think it’s necessary to print all this text - manga should use images to express [the story].

Manga is [normally] something you can glance through, so dumping walls of text [on the reader] make it a chore to read.

It probably should have just been a novel to begin with.

5 Likes

I pretty much agree with @Satoshi42’s translation. Just a few extra comments:

ノートの文: those are the comments of the author that appear outside image frames. Based on the type of manga, it can range from a quick explanatory note to a few pages of full scientific background to everything in between.

Based on the review, it was pretty much the latter, and too frequently for that reader’s taste.

Also, it happens いきなり (without warning; abruptly)

3 Likes

Neat. Thanks for that @Nath. I was stuck on that one part’s exact meaning. And yeah, @Satoshi42 I agree, looks pretty solid. Ok here is a change of pace, a review of a long sleeve t-shirt

5つ星のうち1.0
茶コールが来た
投稿者イイもの探し2015年10月20日
サイズ: 日本 L-(日本サイズL相当)|色: チャコール|Amazonで購入
チャコールを頼んだら写真のグレーとは別物の茶色のような色のTシャツが送られてきました。
チャコールとは炭の意ですね。ググればどんな色がわかりますが一般的には暗いグレーです。
わたしはモノトーンで服をそろえるときのインナーに使おうと注文しましたが、アテが外れてしまいました。
アマゾンやUnitedAthleのサイトの写真で確認するとちゃんとダークグレーっぽいのですが。

あえて言うならチャコールブラウンでしょうか?
ブラウン系が欲しい人なら当たりの場合もあるかもしれません。
UnitedAthleのサイトの5010-01 のチャコールのカラーサンプル写真は現物とは違う色に見えます。
UnitedAthleのサイトで私に送られて来たTシャツと色がかなり近いのは半袖Tシャツの5001-01のチャコールの写真です。

ダークグレーを必要としている人には地雷です。お間違いないよう。

1 star out of 5
Brown-coal arrived. ( -this took some thinking but I am pretty sure this is a pun. チャコール means charcoal, but the guy is complaining below that it was more 茶色 than he wanted so it is really 茶コール)
Contributor SearchingForGoodThings
Size( Japan Large (Corresponding to Japan size large) Color : charcoal, purchased from Amazon
When I requested a charcoal one, instead of the photo’s grey color a completely different brown-like colored T-shirt was sent.
チャコール means charcoal, am I right? If you google it (note the neat phrase there), which color it means is generally a dark grey.

I am stopping here. The next sentence starts with 私はモノトーン。。。if anyone wants to pick up from there. I thought that the ググれば and the 茶コール pun were both kind of fun new things to learn.

1 Like

ググる to google something, is pretty much common. Another nice one is コンビる (to go to the kombini)

I ordered it to be the inner part of a monochrome set of clothe that I am putting together, but it didn’t meet my expectations.

However, I checked the pictures on the site of Amazon and UnitedAthle and it looks definitely dark gray.

If I really have to say, it’s a kind of charcoal brown, I guess? [Note: not sure what the person is talking about. Went back to the topic of their own Tshirt?]

For people who are looking for brown tones, that might be actually fine.

The color sample picture for charcoal of (item) 5010-01 on the website of UnitedAthle looks like a different color to me.

On the website of UnitedAthle, the charcoal from the picture of the short-sleeved t-shirt 5001-01 is pretty close to that of the item I have received.

For people who need dark gray, this is like a land mine. Please don’t make a mistake.

[English is haaaaard… At least I feel I got the point.]

2 Likes

Yeah, I think your English and the translation itself were pretty spot on. If you had not said anything, I definitely would have assumed it was your first language. Thanks for コンビる. I will remember that one for when I am in Japan.

Here is a review for an expensive Huawei smart phone. If someone else wants to start the translating off, feel free to. If not, I will give some of it a wing myself in a bit.

EDIT Also, the way Nath broke it into chunks with the Japanese quoted above is a smart idea, so it would be helpful to do that as well.

5つ星のうち1.0
ひどい対応
投稿者座敷犬2017年9月10日
色: サファイアブルー|スタイル名: 本体
購入当初から本体の不調があり、購入店で検査しても原因がわからないのでHuaweに電話した。
「一般の対策をして改善しないなら、アプリの干渉の可能性がある。弊社はアプリとの干渉について調査をしていないので、アプリ会社と協議してください。」
みんなが使うようなアプリしか入れてない。普通のLINEやYouTubeでも不調があるのは問題では?と訊くと
「上申しかできません。アプリ会社にお客様自身でお問い合わせしていただくことになります。」
と。
後ほど電話する時のためにオペレーターの名前を控えようとすると、電話を切られた。

再度電話を掛け、話した内容を伝えた。電話に出た人の声が先程の人と同じだったので、さっきの方ですよね?と訊くと
「弊社は担当制は取っておりませーん。確認致しかねまーす。」

Huawei最低。

1 star out of 5
Horrible Support
Reviewer: Inside dog - 9/10/2017
Color: Sapphire blue

I had issues with this as soon as I bought it, and the store where I bought it didn’t know what the problem was so I called Huawei.

“If our usual troubleshooting steps don’t solve the issue, it could be a problem with an app. We don’t provide support with app-related issues, so please contact the app publisher for support.”

I’m only using apps that everyone uses. I asked if they really didn’t see a problem with a common app like LINE or YouTube causing issues, they said “We’re sorry. Unfortunately in this case we have to ask you to contact the app publisher directly”.

I tried to ask for the person’s name, in case I need to call back later, but the call got cut off.

I called again, and described the situation. The agent sounded like the person I was just talking to, but when I asked if it was the same person they said “We don’t keep those kind of records, so I’m not able to say.”

Huawei is the worst.

1 Like

Ha, I never knew that could be a verb! Cool.

1 Like

Here is one about a kindle book about bitcoin…
5つ星のうち1.0
意図的な偏向
投稿者Hitoshi2017年7月23日
形式: Kindle版
冷静な目で読めばわかるような偏向を意図的に行なっている問題の多い本。

仮想通貨は国の保証がない→だから信用不安のない国では法貨よりも信用がある。ん?ではそういう状況にない先進国向けの説明は{法貨よりも不安定}になるのでは?という結論となる対称的な文章をわざと書いていない。普通はわかる話だが知識のない人は必ずしも導くことができるとは限らない。

途中の資金決済法の話も非常に象徴的だ。資金決済法は例えばプリカや交通系カード(Suica等)も含め、金融犯罪の取引材料に使われた場合も円滑に犯罪者を逮捕して被害の拡大を防ぐために疑似通貨も含めて幅広く貨幣価値を定義しているだけだが、筆者は仮想通貨も対象としたそれを持って{通貨として認められた}と言う。(最初に政府から距離があるから安全だと言った、政府への不信感を持つ人を釣った話はどこにいったのだろうか?)
ではそれを押し通すのかと言うと、最後の方で犯罪対策だろうと一文入れてくる。これは筆者なりの予防線のつもりなのだろう。

仮想通貨と法貨の一番の違いは、納税、給与支払いという形で実需を政府が{作っている}かであって{保証}の話ではない。また仮想通貨は初めて現れた話でもなく、今では皆が忘れたリンドンのようその時々で現れるが実需がないものは{長期的}な保証がない中で消えていく。

それは取引所を運営している?筆者には都合が悪いのだろうが、ボヤッとした夢未来を書き散らすことを恥ずかしいと思わないのだろうか。

I don’t have much time right now, so here’s just the beginning.

1 star out of five
Intentional bias
Reviewer: Hitoshi2017 - 23/07/2017
Version: Kindle edition

If you read it rationally, you will find that this book has many places that were written on purpose in a biased way.

Virtual currencies are not backed up by countries → For that reason, in countries which never had economic crash before, it is even more trustworthy than real money. What? So does that mean that in the case of developed countries which HAD that situation, the reasoning becomes {virtual currencies are even LESS trustworthy than real money}? On purpose, no sentence addressing that reasoning had been included in the book. While most will understand that point, it possible people with no knowledge whatsoever will be misguided.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.