The Akutagawa Prize Reading Challenge

Ah! Nevermind then. I should have actually checked what those data were :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Poor Dazai Osamu, in his times it was impossible to be nominated in a row.

ใŒใ€ๅ‰ๅ›žๅ€™่ฃœใซๆŒ™ใŒใฃใŸไฝœๅฎถใ‚„ๆŠ•็ฅจ2็ฅจไปฅไธ‹ใฎไฝœๅฎถใฏๅ€™่ฃœใจใ—ใชใ„ใจใ„ใ†ๅฝ“ๆ™‚ใฎๆกไปถใฎใŸใ‚ใซๅคชๅฎฐใฏๅ€™่ฃœใจใชใ‚‰ใชใ‹ใฃใŸใ€‚
(https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/่Šฅๅท้พไน‹ไป‹่ณž#ๅคชๅฎฐๆฒปใฎ่ฝ้ธใซใคใ„ใฆ)

3 Likes

I kind of want to keep track of authors Iโ€™m interested in / give some background info to some of them:

2008, ๆฅŠ้€ธ(ใ‚„ใ‚“ ใ„ใƒผ), First foreign author (whose native language is not Japanese) to be awarded the Akutagawa Prize. She is of Chinese descent, now has Japanese nationality.

1996, ๆŸณ็พŽ้‡Œ, author of Korean descent. Her nationality is Korean, but she was born in Japan and her mother tongue is Japanese. Sheโ€™s part of the ๅœจๆ—ฅ minority.

1992, ๅคšๅ’Œ็”ฐ่‘‰ๅญ was already mentioned; author writing in Japanese and German, currently lives in Berlin.

1990, ๅฐๅทๆด‹ๅญ, author of ๅšๅฃซใฎๆ„›ใ—ใŸๆ•ฐๅผ, because I really liked her writing style.

1975, ไธญไธŠๅฅๆฌก. From Wikipedia: He is well known as the first, and so far the only, post-war Japanese writer to identify himself publicly as a ้ƒจ่ฝๆฐ‘, a member of one of Japanโ€™s long-suffering outcaste groups.

่—ค้‡Žๅƒๅคœ sounds very interesting as well.

6 Likes

Double posting
I found a book from the 80ๅนดไปฃ I want to read! The author is called ๆŽ(ใ„)่‰ฏๆž(ใ‚„ใ‚“ใ˜). She won the 100th Akutagawa Prize with her novel ็”ฑ็…•(ใ‚†ใฒ).

Yi Yanji was the second zainichi writer to win the Akutagawa Prize in 1989 with the work Yuhi, a story about a tormented journey of self-discovery for a young zainichi woman [who] travels to Korea to realize that her โ€œownโ€ country is a foreign place and her โ€œownโ€ language is an alien tongue, while the language dearest to her is inextricably tied to a monolithic culture and race to which she does not belong.

The comments on bookmeter sound pretty intense as well.

7 Likes

triple posting
I finally finished ไนณใจๅต!

The book is comprised of two stories, ไนณใจๅต (80%) and ใ‚ใชใŸใŸใกใฎๆ‹ๆ„›ใฏ็€•ๆญป (20%).
Itโ€™s really short, about 140 pages, so I shouldโ€™ve been able to finish it in a few days, but the second story failed to catch me at first, so I took my time. It did get easier to read at the end, though.

Both stories were very interesting and had some interesting themes that got me thinking. You get an interesting perspective into difficult family dynamics. The endings of both stories were kind of sudden, and in typical literary โ€žwhat just happened, what is the meaning of thisโ€œ style.
They provide some sort of resolution and ่งฃๆฑบ, but in the โ€žI donโ€™t really know how to make sense of thisโ€œ way. Not even in the ใ‚ณใƒณใƒ“ใƒ‹ไบบ้–“ way, where I had very conflicted, but comparatively ใฏใฃใใ‚Šใ—ใŸ feelings. In this book, it was more like โ€žokay, so that just happenedโ€œ. But maybe thatโ€™s just me :smiley:
I really would love to hear other peopleโ€™s opinions on the ending(s).

The narration was all very thought-focused and inner monologue-focused, which made it kind of tiring to read, but it was an interesting experience. Itโ€™s definitely good practice to get used to the way people speak (in incomplete sentences, half sentence after half sentence, etc.)
It reminded me of ๆ‘็”ฐๆฒ™่€ถ้ฆ™ in a way. The stories have similar themes (not necessarily referring to ใ‚ณใƒณใƒ“ใƒ‹ไบบ้–“ here, more ๆ‘็”ฐโ€™s other, more feminist works), and the feeling of being inside the protagonistโ€™s head and hearing all their thoughts reminded me of ๆ‘็”ฐโ€˜s writing style, but itโ€™s definitely distinctly different.

The sentences in this book (in the first story) are very long. It is a constant stream-of-consciousness, inner monologue kind of writing style.

This is one sentence:

ๅทปๅญใฏใ€Œใ„ใ„้ƒจๅฑ‹ใ‚„ใ‚“ใ€ใจใฒใจใ“ใจๆ”พใกใ€ใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ—ใ‚‰ใ‚“ใ€ใจๅ†ท่”ตๅบซใ‚’้–‹ใ‘ใฆใ€ไฝœใ‚Š็ฝฎใใฎๆฟƒใๅ‡บใ™ใŽใฆใ€ใ“ใ‚Œใฏ่Œถใจใ„ใ†ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใฏใ‚‚ใ†้ป’ใฎๅŸŸใ€ใฎใ€้บฆ่Œถใ‚’็กๅญใ‚ณใƒƒใƒ—ใซๆณจใŽใชใŒใ‚‰ใ‚ใŸใ—ใŒ็ญ”ใˆใ‚‹ใจใ€ใƒใƒƒใ‚ฐใ‚’็ฝฎใ„ใฆใŠใงใ“ใซๅผตใ‚Šใคใ„ใŸๅ‰้ซชใ‚’ๆ‰‹ใฎใฒใ‚‰ใงๆ’ซใงใ‚ใ’ใฆใ€ใ€Œ่ฆ‹ใฆใ“ใ‚Œใˆใฃใ‚‰ใ„ๆฑ—ใ€ๅ†ทๆˆฟใ‚ˆใ‚ŠๆฐดๆตดใณใŸใปใ†ใŒๆ—ฉใ„ใ‚ใชใ‚ใ“ใ‚Œใชใ‚ใ€ใจไบ‘ใฃใฆๆ‰‹ใงๆ‰‡ใŽใชใŒใ‚‰้ƒจๅฑ‹ใฎ็ชใๅฝ“ใŸใ‚Šใฎๅคงใใ‚ใฎ็ช“ใซๅ‘ใ‹ใฃใฆ่กŒใ‘ใฐใ€ใ€Œใˆใ€ใƒ™ใƒฉใƒณใƒ€ใชใ„ใฎใ‚“ใ€ใ“ใฎๅฎถใƒ™ใƒฉใƒณใƒ€ใชใ„ใฎใ‚“ใ‹ใ€ใจ้ฉšใใ€ใ€Œๆด—ๆฟฏใ‚‚ใ‚“ใฏใฉใชใ„ใ™ใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ‚ˆใ€ใจใ“ใฃใกใ‚’ๆŒฏใ‚Š่ฟ”ใ‚‹ใ€ใ€Œใใ†ใ€ใŠใใ‚ใ—ใ„ใ“ใจใซใ“ใฎๅฎถใƒ™ใƒฉใƒณใƒ€ใคใ„ใฆใชใ„ใฎใงใ™ใ€ๆด—ๆฟฏๆฉŸใฏใ“ใฎๅฑ‹ไธŠใซใ‚ใฃใฆใ€ๆด—ๆฟฏใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใใ“ใงๅนฒใ™ใ€ใจ็ญ”ใˆใ‚‹ใจใ€ใธใˆใ€ใจๅทปๅญใฏๆ„Ÿๅฟƒใ—ใŸใ‚ˆใ†ใซ็›ฎใ‚’้–‹ใ„ใฆใ€็ช“ใฎๅค–ใ‹ใ‚‰ใฎๆ™ฏ่‰ฒใ‚’ใฒใจ้€šใ‚Š่ฆ‹ๆธกใ™ใจใ€ๆฐด้“ๅ€Ÿใ‚Šใ‚‹ใ‚ใ€ๆ‰‹ๆด—ใ†ใ‚ใ€ใจไบ‘ใฃใฆๆด—้ขๆ‰€ใธ่กŒใใ€ๆฐดใฎๅ‹ขใ„ใ™ใฃใ”ใ„ใ‚„ใ‚“ใ€ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒฏใƒผใ‚‚ใ“ใ‚Œๅ‡บใ—ใฆใˆใˆ๏ผŸ ใจๅคงใใชๅฃฐใง่žใใฎใงใฉใ†ใžใ€ใใ—ใฆ็ท‘ๅญใฏใจใ„ใˆใฐ้ƒจๅฑ‹ใฎ็ซฏใฃใ“ใ‚’้™ฃๅ–ใฃใฆใ€ไฝ•ๅบฆใ‹ๅบงใ‚Šใฎไฝ็ฝฎใ‚’ๅค‰ใˆใชใŒใ‚‰ใ€ใ“ใ“ใ€ใจใ„ใ†ใจใ“ใ‚ใซ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎใƒชใƒฅใƒƒใ‚ฏใ‚ตใƒƒใ‚ฏใ‚’ๅ›บๅฎšใ•ใ›ใฆใ€ใใฎไธญใ‹ใ‚‰ๅฐใ•ใชใ‚ฟใ‚ชใƒซใ‚’ๅ–ใ‚Šๅ‡บใ—ใฆใŠใงใ“ใฎๆฑ—ใ‚’ไธๅฏงใซๆŠผใ•ใˆใชใŒใ‚‰ๅธใ„ๅ–ใ‚‰ใ›ใฆใ‚‹ใ€‚

As you can see, thereโ€™s also some light ้–ข่ฅฟๅผ going on (in the first story).

There isnโ€™t much happening story-wise. There is stuff happening, but itโ€™s not a very elaborate story. Of course there doesnโ€™t have to. The depth really is in the inner monologues. The story, or rather, the feelings the author wants to convey with her book, are conveyed through the thoughts and feelings of the protagonist, rather than through big events.

Some of the themes: women struggling with body image issues, single mother struggles, having a dysfunctional relationship with oneโ€™s daughter struggles, puberty, feeling like you will never become the kind of woman society expects you to become. Those sort of themes. Basically what you expect from a feminist author like ๅทไธŠ, and as expected from the title.
Thereโ€™s also some rather explicit descriptions of female bodily functions.

There were some really interesting conversations and flashbacks happening in the protagonistโ€™s mind as well, seemingly unrelated to the story at hand, but very interesting and relevant nonetheless.

I really liked this conversation that the protagonist recalls about breast augmentation and makeup and the patriarchy:

่ƒธใŠใŠใใใ—ใŸใ„ใ‚ใ‚ใ€ใจใ‚ใ‚‹ๅฅณใฎๅญใŒไบ‘ใฃใฆใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใใฆใใ“ใซใฏใ‚‚ใ†ใฒใจใ‚ŠๅˆฅใฎๅฅณใฎๅญใŒใŠใฃใฆใ€ใใฎๅฅณใฎๅญใŒใใ‚Œใซๅฏพใ—ใฆใƒใ‚ฌใƒ†ใ‚ฃใƒ–ใช็‰ฉ่จ€ใ„ใ‚’ใ—ใŸใ‚“ใ‚„ใฃใŸใ€ใˆใ€ใงใ‚‚ใใ‚Œใฃใฆใ•ใ€็ตๅฑ€็”ทใฎใŸใ‚ใซๅคงใใใ—ใŸใ„ใฃใฆใใ†ใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใชใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใ„ใฎใ€ใจใ‹ใชใ‚“ใจใ‹ใ€‚็”ทใ‚’ๆฅฝใ—ใพใ›ใ‚‹ใŸใ‚ใซ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎไฝ“ใ‚’ๆ”น้€ ใ™ใ‚‹ใฎใฏ้•ใ†ใ‚ˆใญ็š„ใชใ“ใจใ‚’ๅ†ทใฃใจใ—ใŸๅฃ่ชฟใงไบ‘ใฃใŸใฎใ ใฃใŸใ‹ใ—ใฆใ€ใ™ใ‚‹ใจ่ƒธๅคงใใใ—ใŸใ„ใฎๅฅณใฎๅญใฏใ€ใใ†ใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใใฆ่ƒธใฏ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎ่ƒธใชใ‚“ใ ใ—ใ€็”ทใฏ้–ขไฟ‚ใชใ—ใซ่ƒธใฃใฆใ“ใฎ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎไฝ“ใซใคใ„ใฆใ‚‹ใ‚ใ‘ใงใ“ใ‚Œใฏ่‡ชๅˆ†่‡ช่บซใฎๅ•้กŒใชใฎใ‚ˆใญใ€ใ‚‚ใกใ‚ใ‚“ไฝ“ใซ็•ฐ็‰ฉใ‚’ๅ…ฅใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ“ใจใฏใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใจ่€ƒใˆใชใใ‚ƒใ„ใ‘ใชใ„ใจใฏๆ€ใ†ใ‘ใ‚Œใฉใ€ใจใ‹ใชใ‚“ใจใ‹็ญ”ใˆใฆใ€ใ™ใ‚‹ใจใ€ใใ†ใ‹ใชใ€ใใฎ่ƒธใŒๅคงใใใชใ‚Œใฐใ„ใ„ใชใ‚ใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใ‚ใชใŸใฎ็ด ๆœดใชไพกๅ€ค่ฆณใŒใใ‚‚ใใ‚‚ไธ–็•Œใซใฏใณใ“ใ‚‹ใใ‚Œใฏใ‚‚ใ†ใ‚ใŸใ—ใŸใกใŒ็‰ฉใ‚’่€ƒใˆใ‚‹ใŸใ‚ใฎๅ‰ๆใงใ‚ใ‚‹ใจใ„ใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ„ใ„ใใ‚‰ใ„ใฎ็”ทๆ€ง็š„็ฒพ็ฅžใ‚’็ตŒ็”ฑใ—ใŸ็”ฃ็‰ฉใงใ—ใ‹ใชใ„ใฎใ‚ˆใญใ€ใ˜ใฃใ•ใ„ใ€ใ‚ใชใŸใฏๆฐ—ใŒใคใ„ใฆใชใ„ใ ใ‘ใงใ€ใจใ‹ใชใ‚“ใ ใ‹ใ‚‚ใฃใจใ‚‚ใ‚‰ใ—ใ„ใ“ใจใ‚’ไบ‘ใฃใฆใ€่ƒธๅคงใใใ—ใŸใ„ๅฅณใฎๅญใฏใใ‚Œใซๅฏพใ—ใฆใ€ใชใ‚“ใ ใฃใฆๅ˜็ด”ใชใ“ใฎใ“ใ‚Œใ“ใ“ใซใคใ„ใฆใ‚‹ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฎ่ƒธใ‚’ใ‚ใŸใ—ใŒๅคงใใใ—ใŸใ„ใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใ“ใฎๅ˜็ด”ใช้ก˜ๆœ›ใ‚’ใชใ‚“ใงใใ‚“ใช่ฆ‹ใŸใ“ใจใ‚‚่งฆใฃใŸใ“ใจใ‚‚ใชใ„็”ทๆ€ง็ฒพ็ฅžใจใ‹ใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใซใ‚ใ–ใ‚ใ–็ตใณใคใ‘ใ‚ˆใ†ใจใ™ใ‚‹ใ‚ใ‘๏ผŸ ใ‚‚ใ—ใใฎใ€็”ทๆ€งไธป็พฉใ ใฃใ‘ใ€็”ทๆ น็ฒพ็ฅžใ ใฃใ‘ใ‹ใŒใ€ใ‚ใชใŸใฎไบ‘ใ†ใจใŠใ‚Šใซใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ ใจใ—ใฆใ‚‚ใ‚ˆใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใŒใใ‚Œใ‚’็ตŒ็”ฑใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใ‚“ใชใ‚‰ใ‚ใชใŸใฎใใฎ่€ƒใˆใ ใฃใฆ็”ทๆ€ง็ฒพ็ฅžใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ‚’็ตŒ็”ฑใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใฃใฆใ“ใจใซใชใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใ„ใฎใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใจใ‚ใชใŸใงไฝ•ใŒ้•ใ†ใฎใ€ใจ็ญ”ใˆใŸใ‚ใ‘ใ ใ€ใ™ใ‚‹ใจใใฎๅ†ทใฃใจๅฅณๅญใฏใ€ใ ใƒผใ‹ใƒผใ‚‰ใ€่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎไพกๅ€ค่ฆณใŒใ„ใฃใŸใ„ใฉใ“ใ‹ใ‚‰็™บ็”Ÿใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใฎใ‹ใจใ‹ใใ†ใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใ‚’ๅ•้กŒใซใ—ใคใค็–‘ใ„ใ‚’ๆŒใคใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใ‹้ฃฝใใพใงใใ‚Œใ‚’่‡ช่ฆšใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใฎใจ่‡ช่ฆšใ—ใฆใชใ„ใฎใจใฏๅคง้•ใ„ใ ใฃใฆไบ‘ใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใ€ใจใ“ใ†ไบ‘ใฃใฆใ€ใใฎๆ‰นๅˆคใซๅฏพใ—ใฆ่ƒธๅคงใใๅฅณๅญใฏใ€ใพใ‚ไฝ•ใŒใใ‚“ใชใซ้•ใ†ใฎใ‹ใ‚ใŸใ—ใ•ใฃใฑใ‚Šใ‚ใ‹ใ‚“ใชใ„ใ‘ใ‚Œใฉใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฎใ“ใฎไปŠใฎๅฐใ•ใ„่ƒธใซใ‚ใŸใ—่‡ช่บซไธๆบ€ใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ“ใจใ€ใใ—ใฆๅคงใใช่ƒธใซๆ†งใ‚Œใฎใ‚ˆใ†ใชใ‚‚ใฎใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ“ใจใฏๆœ€ๅˆใ‹ใ‚‰ๆœ€ๅพŒใพใงใ‚ใŸใ—ใฎๅ•้กŒใ ใฃใฆใ“ใ†ไบ‘ใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใ€ใใ‚Œใ ใ‘ใฎใ“ใจใซ็”ทๆ€ง็ฒพ็ฅžไบ‘ใ€…ใ‚’ใใฃใคใ‘ใฆ่ฉฑใ‚„ใ‚„ใ“ใ—ใใ—ใฆใ‚“ใฎใฏใ‚ใชใŸใงใ€ใ‚ใชใŸใŒๅฎŸใฏใใฎ็”ทๆ€ง็ฒพ็ฅžใใฎใ‚‚ใฎใชใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใ„ใฎ๏ผŸ ๅฐ‘ใชใใจใ‚‚ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฏ็”ทใจใ‚ปใƒƒใ‚ฏใ‚นใ—ใŸใ‚Šใ™ใ‚‹ใจใใ€ไพ‹ใˆใฐๆ‰ใพใ‚Œใ‚‹ใจใใชใ‚“ใ‹ใซใ‚ใ‚ใ“ใฎ่ƒธใŒๅคงใใใ‚ใฃใฆๆฌฒใ—ใ‹ใฃใŸใ“ใฎ็”ทใฎ่ˆˆๅฅฎใฎใŸใ‚ใซใ€ใชใ‚“ใฆใ“ใจใฏๆ€ใ‚ใชใ„ใ€ใฃใฆใ“ใจใฏใฏใฃใใ‚Šใ‚ใ‹ใฃใฆใ‚‹ใฃใฆ่ฉฑใ‚ˆใ€ใŸใ ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฒใจใ‚Šใงใ„ใ‚‹ใจใใซๆ€ใ†ใฃใฆใใ‚Œใ ใ‘ใ‚ˆใ€ใบใฃใŸใ‚“ใงใพใฃใŸใ„ใ‚‰ใชใ“ใ‚Œใซใชใœใ ใ‹ๆฎ‹ๅฟตใ‚’ๆ„Ÿใ˜ใฆใ—ใพใ†ใ ใ‘ใฎใ“ใจใงใ€‚ใ™ใ‚‹ใจๅ†ทใฃใจๅฅณๅญใฏใ€ใ ใ‹ใ‚‰ใใฎๆฎ‹ๅฟตใซๆ€ใ†ๆฐ—ๆŒใกใ“ใใŒใใ‚‚ใใ‚‚ใ™ใฃใ‹ใ‚Šๅ–ใ‚Š่พผใพใ‚Œใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใ€ใใฎๆ„Ÿๆ…จใ‚’ใ€ใใฎๆ„ๅ˜†ใ‚’ใ€ใใ†ใ„ใ†่‡ชๅˆ†่‡ช่บซใฎๆฌฒๆœ›ใฎๅ‡บ่‡ชใ‚’็–‘ใ„ใ‚‚ใ›ใšใซ่ƒธใŒๅคงใใใชใฃใŸใ‚‰ใ„ใ„ใชใ‚๏ผ ใชใ‚“ใฆใผใ‚“ใ‚„ใ‚Šใ†ใฃใ‹ใ‚Š็™บ่จ€ใ—ใŸใ‚Šใ™ใ‚‹ใฎใŒไธ็”จๆ„ๆฅตใพใ‚Šใชใ„ใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใ‹ใ€่…น็ซ‹ใŸใ—ใ„ใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใ‹็„ก็Ÿฅใจใ„ใ†ใ‹ใชใ‚“ใฆใ„ใ†ใ‹ใ•ใ€ใจใ•ใ‚‰ใซๅ†ทใฃใ€ใŒๅข—ใ—ใŸๅฃฐใงๅ†ทใ‚Šๅฅณๅญใฏ้™ใ‹ใซไบ‘ใ†ใจใ€ใฏใ€ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ‚ใ•ใ€ใ‚ใชใŸใŒใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใใฎๅŒ–็ฒงใฏ็”ทๆ€ง็ฒพ็ฅžใซๆฏ’ใ•ใ‚ŒใŸใ“ใฎไธ–็•ŒใซใŠใ‹ใ‚Œใพใ—ใฆใฉใ†ใ„ใ†ไฝ็ฝฎใฅใ‘ใซใชใ‚“ใฎใงใ™ใ‹ใ€ใใฎๅ‹•ๆฉŸใฏใ„ใฃใŸใ„ไฝ•ใฎใŸใ‚ใซใ—ใฆใ‚‹ๅŒ–็ฒงใซใชใ‚‹ใฎใ€ๅŒ–็ฒงใซๅฏพใ™ใ‚‹็–‘ใ„ใฏ๏ผŸ ใจ่ƒธๅฅณๅญใŒไบ‘ใˆใฐใ€ใ“ใ‚Œ๏ผŸ ใ“ใ‚Œใฏ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎใŸใ‚ใซใ‚„ใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใ€่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎใƒ†ใƒณใ‚ทใƒงใƒณไธŠใ’ใ‚‹ใŸใ‚ใซใ‚„ใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ€ใจๅ†ทใฃใจๅฅณๅญใ€ใใ‚Œใ‚’ๅ—ใ‘ใฆ่ƒธๆดพๅฅณๅญใฏใ€ใ ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฎ่ƒธใ ใฃใฆ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎใŸใ‚ใซๅคงใใใ—ใŸใ„ใฃใฆใใ†ใ„ใ†่ฉฑใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใ„ใฎ๏ผŸ ใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฎใใฎใใฎใฐใกใฐใกใซ็››ใฃใŸๅŒ–็ฒงใŒ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎใŸใ‚ใ ใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใฎใŒใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฎใ•ใฃใใฎ็†ๅฑˆใซๆฒฟใ†ใ‚“ใชใ‚‰ใญใ€ใ ใ„ใŸใ„ใŠใ‚“ใชใ˜ไธ–็•Œใง็”Ÿใใฆใฆใ“ใฃใกใฏ็”ทๆ นไธป็พฉ็š„ใชๅฝฑ้Ÿฟๅ—ใ‘ใฆใพใ™ใ“ใ“ใฏๅ—ใ‘ใฆใพใ›ใ‚“ใฃใฆ่ชฐใŒๆฑบๅฎšใ™ใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ ใฃใคใฎใ€‚ใจ้ผปใง็ฌ‘ใˆใฐใ€ไฝ•ไบ‘ใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใพใฃใŸใใ€ๅŒ–็ฒงใจ่ฑŠ่ƒธใฏใใ‚‚ใใ‚‚ใŒใพใฃใŸใ้•ใ†ใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใŒใ€ใ ใ„ใŸใ„ๅฅณใฎ่ƒธใซๅผทๅˆถ็š„ใซใ‚ใฆใŒใ‚ใ‚ŒใŸๆญดๅฒ็š„้ŽๅŽปใซใŠใ‘ใ‚‹็คพไผš็š„ๅฝนๅ‰ฒใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ‚’่€ƒใˆใฆใฟใŸใ“ใจใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‚ใ‘๏ผŸ ใ‚ใชใŸใฎใใฎ่ƒธใ‚’ๅคงใใใ—ใŸใ„ใฃใฆใ‚“ใชใ‚‰ใพใšใ‚ใชใŸใฎ่ƒธใŒๅŒ…ๆ‹ฌใ—ใฆใ‚‹่ซธๅ•้กŒใซใคใ„ใฆ่€ƒใˆใ‚‹ใฃใฆใ“ใจใ‹ใ‚‰ๅง‹ใ‚ใชใ•ใ„ใ‚ˆใฃใฆไบ‘ใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ€ใใ‚ŒใซๅŒ–็ฒงใฏใ‚‚ใจใ‚‚ใจ้ญ”ใ‚ˆใ‘ใงๅง‹ใพใฃใŸใ‚‚ใ‚“ใชใฎใ‚ˆใ€ไบบ้–“ใŒ้ญ”็‰ฉใ‚’ๆใ‚Œใฆใ“ใ‚Œใ‚’้Žฎใ‚ใ‚‹ใŸใ‚ใซ่€ƒใˆใ‚‰ใ‚ŒใŸ็Ÿฅๆตใชใฎใ‚ˆใ“ใ‚Œใฏไบบ้–“ใฎๅ…ฑๅŒไฝ“ใจใ—ใฆใฎใ€ๅ„€ๅผใชใฎใ‚ˆใ€‚ๆ–‡ๅŒ–ใชใฎใ€‚ๅคงๆ˜”ใซใฏ็”ทใ ใฃใฆๅŒ–็ฒงใ‚„ใฃใฆใ‚‹ใ‚“ใ ใ—ใ ใ„ใŸใ„ใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฏใใ‚‚ใใ‚‚ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฎไบ‘ใฃใฆใ‚‹ๅ•้กŒ็‚นใŒใพใฃใŸใ็†่งฃใงใใฆใชใ„ใ‚ใ€่ฉฑใซใชใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ€ใจ้กŽใงๅˆบใ™ใ‚ˆใ†ใซไบ‘ใˆใฐใ€ใฏใ€ใ˜ใ‚ƒใ‚ใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฎใใฎ็”Ÿๆดป่ซธใ€…ใ ใ‘็”ทๆ นใฎๅฝฑ้Ÿฟใ‚’ๅ—ใ‘ใšใซๅ…จ้ƒจ้ญ”ใ‚ˆใ‘ใฎๅปถ้•ทใงใ‚„ใฃใฆใ‚‹ใฃใฆใ“ใ†ใ„ใ†ใ‚ใ‘ใ€ๆ€งๅˆฅใฎ้–ขไฟ‚ใ—ใชใ„ๆ–‡ๅŒ–ใงใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฎ่กŒๅ‹•ใ ใ‘ใฏ็ด”็ฒ‹ใชไบบ้–“ใจใ—ใฆใฎ็Ÿฅๆตใงใ™ใฃใฆใใ†ใ„ใ†ใ‚ใ‘ใ‹ใ‚ˆใ€ใชใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใใ‚‰ใ€ๅคงไฝ“ๅฅณใŒใชใ‚“ใ ใฃใคใฎใ€‚ๅฅณใชใ‚“ใ‹ใŸใ ใฎๅฅณใ ใฃใคใฎใ€‚ๅฅณใงใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฏใฏใฃใใ‚Šใใ†ไบ‘ใ‚ใ›ใฆใ‚‚ใ‚‰ใ†ใฃใคใฎใ€‚ใพใšใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฎใใฎใ‚ใŸใ—ใซๅฏพใ™ใ‚‹ไปŠใฎ็™บ่จ€ใ‚’ใพใšๅฎถใซๅธฐใฃใฆใกใใ„ใก็–‘ใˆใฃใคใฎใ€‚ใใ‚ŒใŒใ‚ใ‚“ใŸใฎไฟกๆกใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใŒใ€ใฏใ€้˜ฟๅ‘†ใ‚‰ใ—ใ€้˜ฟๅ‘†ใ‚‰ใ—ใ™ใŽใฆ้˜ฟๅ‘†ใ‚‰ใ—ใ‚„ใฎ้˜ใŒ้ณดใฃใฆ้ณดใ‚Šใพใใฃใฆ้ณดใ‚Šใพใใ‚Šใ™ใŽใฆใ”ใ‚“ใ‚†ใ†ใฆ่ฝใกใฆใใ‚ˆใ‚‹ใ‚ใŠใพใˆใฎใƒ‰้ ญใซใ€ใจใ‹ไบ‘ใฃใฆใ€[โ€ฆ]

The second story, first of all, has shorter sentences. Itโ€™s not written in first person, but third person. The protagonist is simply referred to as ๅฅณ.
I found the second story kind of difficult to get into after the ending of the first story, but when I read on and got used to it, it got more and more interesting. The themes of the second story are also very feminist, but in a different way. Itโ€™s more about things like casual sex, dating, relationships, and knowing your self-worth. Again, we have a โ€žok Iโ€™m not sure what just happenedโ€œ style ending :laughing: Maybe Iโ€™m just not well-versed enough in literature to see the deeper meaning behind the endings.
I really wish the second story went on for a bit longer. The ending was kind of sudden.

For a small teaser of what sort of themes the second story entails, hereโ€™s another conversation/monologue that stuck in my mind:

ๅฅณใซใฏใ‚‚ใ†ใฒใจใ‚Šๅ‹ไบบใŒใ„ใฆใ€ใใ‚Œใ‚’ๆ€ใ„ๅ‡บใ—ใ€ๅฝผๅฅณใฏๆฑบใพใฃใŸ็›ธๆ‰‹ใจใ—ใ‹ๆ€งไบคใ‚’ใ—ใชใ„ๅฅณใ ใฃใŸใ€‚
ใ‚ใŸใ—ใ€ไฝ•ใ‹ใง่ชญใ‚“ใ ใ‚ใ‚ˆใ€‚ใจๅฝผๅฅณใฏ่‡ชไฟกใŸใฃใทใ‚Šใช้ก”ใ‚’ใ—ใฆ่จ€ใ†ใ€‚
้ฉๅฝ“ใช็›ธๆ‰‹ใจ้ฉๅฝ“ใชๆ€งไบคใ‚’ใ—ใคใฅใ‘ใ‚‹ใ‚„ใคใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใฎใฏใญใ€ใ‚‚ใฎใ™ใ”ใใ€ใชใ‚“ใฆใ„ใ†ใฎใ‹ใ—ใ‚‰ใ€ไบบ้–“็š„ใซใจใ‚“ใงใ‚‚ใชใๆœช็†Ÿใชใฎใ‚ˆใ€‚ไฝ•ใ‹ใง่ชญใ‚“ใงใใฎใจใใ‚ใŸใ—ใใ†ใ‚ˆใ€ใฃใฆใ™ใ”ใๅŒๆ„ใ—ใกใ‚ƒใฃใŸใ‚‚ใฎใ€‚ๆ€งไบคใฎ็›ธๆ‰‹ใ‚’ใ“ใ‚ใ“ใ‚ๅค‰ใˆใ‚‹ไบบ้–“ใฏใญใ€็›ธๆ‰‹ใจๆœ€ไฝŽ้™ใฎใƒฌใƒ™ใƒซใงใ‚‚ๅ‘ใ‹ใ„ๅˆใ†ใ“ใจใŒใ€ใงใใชใ„ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใใฆใ€้ฟใ‘ใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใญใ€‚ๅ‚ทใคใใฎใŒๆ€–ใ„ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚ƒใชใใฆๅ˜ใซ้ขๅ€’ใใ•ใŒใฃใฆใ‚“ใฎใ‚ˆใ€‚ใ ใ‹ใ‚‰ๅ•้กŒใŒ่ตทใใŸใ‚‰ใ™ใใซๅˆฅใ‚Œใฆใ€ใงใ€ใ•ใฟใ—ใ„ใ‹ใ‚‰ใฃใฆใพใŸๆฌกใซ่กŒใใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ€ใงใ€้ขๅ€’ใใ•ใ„ใ‹ใ‚‰ๅ•้กŒใŒ่ตทใใŸใ‚‰ใพใŸใฑใฃใจๅˆฅใ‚Œใฆใใฎใใ‚Š่ฟ”ใ—ใ€‚ๆœ€ๅคงใฎไบ‹ใชใ‹ใ‚Œไธป็พฉใ‚ˆใ€‚ใใ‚Šใ‚ƒใ‚ใพใจใ‚‚ใชๆœฌใ‚‚่ชญใ‚ใชใใชใ‚‹ใ‚ใ‚ˆใ€‚ใ ใฃใฆใชใ‚“ใซใคใ‘ใŸใฃใฆ้–ขไฟ‚ๆ€งใซใŠใ„ใฆๅŠชๅŠ›ใ™ใ‚‹ใฃใฆใ“ใจใ‚’็Ÿฅใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ‚“ใ ใ‚‚ใฎใ€‚ใพใ˜ใง็ŒฟใฟใŸใ„ใชใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ‚ˆใ€‚
ๅฅณใฏใใฎใจใใ‚‚ใ€ใใฃใ‹ใ€‚ใจ่จ€ใฃใฆ[โ€ฆ]ใ€‚ใใ‚“ใชๅฝผๅฅณใฎใพใจใ‚‚ใ™ใŽใ‚‹่ฉฑใ‚’ใใใชใŒใ‚‰ใ€ใงใ‚‚ใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฏ็Ÿฅใ‚‰ใชใ„็”ทใจใ‚„ใฃใฆใฟใŸใ„ใฎใ‚ˆใ€‚ใชใœใชใ‚‰ใฐใใ‚ŒใŒๆœฌๅฝ“ใฏใฉใ‚“ใชใ“ใจใชใฎใ‹ใ€ใ‚ใŸใ—ใซใฏใ‚ใ‹ใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€‚็Ÿฅใ‚‰ใชใ„ใฃใฆใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใŒใฉใ†ใ„ใ†ใ‚‚ใฎใชใฎใ‹ใ‚’็ŸฅใฃใฆใฟใŸใ„ใ‚ˆใ†ใชๆฐ—ใŒใ™ใ‚‹ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€‚ใงใใ‚‹ใ“ใจใฏๆœฌๅฝ“ใซใงใใ‚‹ใ“ใจใชใฎใ‹ใ‚’ใ€่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎไฝ“ใ‚’ไฝฟใฃใฆ่ฉฆใ—ใฆใฟใŸใ„ใ‚ˆใ†ใชๆฐ—ๆŒใกใซใชใฃใฆใ€่‹ฆใ—ใ„ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€‚ใใ‚Œใซใ‚ใชใŸใฏ้ฆฌ้นฟใซใ™ใ‚‹ใ‘ใฉ็ŒฟใŒๆœฌๅฝ“ใฏใฉใ†ใชใฎใ‹ใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‹ใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ—ใ€‚ใ ใ„ใŸใ„ใ€ๆฑบใพใฃใŸ็›ธๆ‰‹ใจใ‚‚ใ€ใใ‚Œใ‹ใ‚‰ๆฑบใพใฃใฆใ„ใชใ„็›ธๆ‰‹ใจใ‚‚ๆ€งไบคใ™ใ‚‹ใ“ใจใฎใชใ„ใ‚ใŸใ—ใฏใ€ใ‚ใชใŸใ‹ใ‚‰่ฆ‹ใฆใ€ใชใ‚“ใฆใ„ใ†ใฎใ‹ใชใ€โ”€โ”€ๅˆๆ ผใ—ใฆใ‚‹ใฎใ‹ใ—ใ‚‰๏ผŸ ไบบ้–“ใจใ—ใฆ๏ผŸ ใจ็ฌ‘้ก”ใง่จ€ใฃใฆใฟใ‚‹ใ“ใจใ‚’ๆƒณๅƒใ—ใฆใ€ใ‚„ใ‚ใฆใ€ๅ†ทใŸใใชใฃใŸ็ด…่Œถใฎๆฎ‹ใ‚Šใ‚’ใŒใถใ‚Šใจ้ฃฒใ‚“ใ ใ“ใจใ‚’่ฆšใˆใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ€‚[โ€ฆ]
ๅฅณใฏ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎไฝ“ใŒใฉใ‚Œใใ‚‰ใ„ใฎไพกๅ€คใฎใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎใชใฎใ‹ใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‹ใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ—ใ€ใงใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‹ใ‚‰ใชใ„ใพใพใงใ‚‚ใใ‚Œใ‚’ใใ‚‹ใ‚€ๆœใ‚’่ฒทใ†ใฎใฏๅฅฝใใ€‚

10 Likes

oh no, isnโ€™t triple posting a limit?

For what itโ€™s worth, you actually got me interested after this review. Just maybe not in Japanese version. :joy: I was wary of it even earlier because of ้–ข่ฅฟๅผ, and reading about long sentences and stream-of-consciousness isnโ€™t helping.
But my husband actually ordered the translation some time ago and it should arrive soonโ€ฆ and I was going to skip it, but now Iโ€™m reconsidering it. Especially since it will be on the shelf anyway.

I also have a soft spot for โ€œexplicit descriptions of female bodily functionsโ€, so thatโ€™s a bonus.

4 Likes

Thank you for freeing me! :smiley:

I would say the ้–ข่ฅฟๅผ is the lesser of your worries, if you were to tackle the Japanese original.

But thereโ€™s no shame in enjoying Japanese ็ด”ๆ–‡ๅญฆ in your native language and reading some more accessible (language-wise and content-wise) ๅคง่ก†ๅ‘ใ‘ novels for Japanese practice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Technically, itโ€™s wonโ€™t be native in this case (it didnโ€™t get a Polish translation yet; so itโ€™s just an English version; hence the waiting for the delivery), but well, itโ€™s certainly a more accessible version :wink:

Anyway, yeah, itโ€™s more or less where I am now. Sometimes I just want to read something and not necessarily spend a month on it. :sweat_smile:
But I do feel like a cheater, commenting on things I wonโ€™t read in Japanese. But since there isnโ€™t much discussion and since it could be hard to get people read the same things simultaneously here, I guess itโ€™s better than nothing? Maybe?

Well, at least in ไนณใจๅต case, it has a chance at winning Intermediate Book Club poll somedayโ€ฆ Although now Iโ€™m wondering if itโ€™s really intermediate level.

I did read the beginning of ๆŽจใ—ใ€็‡ƒใ‚† already though, and I guess this is my current ability limit. I do understand whatโ€™s going on (I hope), but itโ€™s painfully slow and I have to re(re)read so many sentences. But Iโ€™m too curious about it. :wink:
Thankfully this one is also short (144 pages).

4 Likes

Totally understandable! And no, I donโ€™t think youโ€™re a cheater - this thread is mainly meant to be about enjoying the books, not about studying. So commenting about the contents is fine no matter the language you read it in :slight_smile:

I had actually not thought about that until now, but I think it should be up to each individual whether they want to tick off a book only if they read it in Japanese or also when they read it in another language. Because like I said, letโ€™s enjoy books together - thatโ€™s all :slight_smile:

I nominated it, and now Iโ€™m wondering about that as well :sweat_smile:

@Myria, what do you think? How would you rate its difficulty e.g. compared to ๅšๅฃซ (intermediate, but was perceived as quite hard) or to ้›ชๅ›ฝ (advanced, hard)?

Hey, that sounds amazing! I must say, whenever I start a new book I have such a hard time settling into the new writing style and vocabulary. Iโ€™m pretty sure it will get much easier for you once you have read a fair bit of it.

For some reason, most of the books on the list seem to be short (around the 150 page mark) - maybe because they are written by new authors? Anyway, Iโ€™m going to embrace that as it (hopefully) allows me to read moar bookz :star_struck:

5 Likes

Itโ€™s not a โ€œchoose the book weโ€™re going to readโ€ type of poll, right? Iโ€™m supposed to vote for the books Iโ€™ve read. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, right. This is not a normal book club, itโ€™s more a tracking list (of books you read) for everybodyโ€™s personal use.

But of course, if there is enough interest for a book club for one of the books, then by all means :wink:

5 Likes

All right, thanks. I was bit confused but I just realized thereโ€™s a โ€œNone of these so farโ€ option so it should have been obvious. :sweat_smile: But with Konbini Ningen down, only 169 to go! lol

5 Likes

Yay! :tada: You gotta start somewhere, right?

And donโ€™t worry, I havenโ€™t yet read any others except ใ‚ณใƒณใƒ“ใƒ‹ either (but Iโ€™m working on it :upside_down_face:)

4 Likes

Iโ€™m not @Myria, but the extracts they posted are much harder to read than ๅšๅฃซ. In terms of stream of consciousness sentences, we had ใƒใƒซใƒ’, which people found very hard. (Well, there was also the problem of the content, which is the polar opposite of this book :sweat_smile:)
Overall, probably too tough for the intermediate book club, especially that one sentence Myria posted. (Of course it depends of how prevalent those are)

In other news, I am now also sold on that book. I donโ€™t know why the preview/description didnโ€™t catch my interest before :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I found the writing style of ๅšๅฃซ rather straightforward; really looking forward to reading another ๅฐๅทๆด‹ๅญ book!
ไนณใจๅต is much harder, especially if youโ€™re unfamiliar with more casual language. The long sentences require quite a bit of focus (I canโ€™t even imagine how much effort it would take to break them down formally), and if you arenโ€™t familiar with how people (natives) tell stories, with switching perspectives without explicitly naming the other party / without using pronouns, use of active vs passive voice, ใฆใ„ใŸ vs ใŸ, use of ใพใ™ in a subclause to indicate a quote, and so on, I would imagine itโ€™s quite difficult to keep track of the sentences.

In ้›ชๅ›ฝ the difficulty for me was more about being able to imagine the scene. There were sudden time skips, and due to the story being set almost a hundred years ago, some things / scenes / objects were simply unfamiliar. So sometimes I wasnโ€™t able to make sense of a passage even when reading it several times; other times I just couldnโ€™t be bothered.
ไนณใจๅต is set in modern times, which takes away one hurdle at least. However the sentences really are about 4x the length, which makes it quite annoying to reread passages.

It would probably be quite difficult for the intermediate book club. I think at an intermediate stage itโ€™s probably more beneficial to read books with a clearer sentence structure where you can properly analyze the grammar and where any grammar / context questions have a clear(er) answer. Like ๅฎน็–‘่€…Xใฎ็Œฎ่บซ for example. Of course you could try that with ไนณใจๅต sentences as well, but most of this casual sentence structure is probably really difficult to formally explain. (Iโ€˜m not saying itโ€™s guesswork, but itโ€™s probably more intuition-based?) Of course thereโ€™s value in analyzing and studying this writing style as well, but depending on someoneโ€™s previous exposure to this sort of casual rambling that you would normally find in a YouTube vlog of someone complaining about work or telling a funny story about their friends, I would imagine it to be quite painful to get through. For people who prefer to reread and analyze sentences frequently, it would probably be a lot of work. As usual, itโ€™s probably easiest to check the sample pages for yourself.

Obviously not every part of this book is as extreme as the snippets I posted, but in general the sentences really are remarkably long. Itโ€™s a constant feeling of โ€žwow, this sentence is long, where does it even end?โ€œ and โ€žI want to reread this part but it takes ages to even find the start of the sentenceโ€œ.

Edit: rereading some parts of the book though, I have to say, the writing style really is quite fun. You can imagine the conversations and her inner monologue really well.

5 Likes

Actually, the reverse happened after all. I tried to continue reading yesterday, and I did read the sample part before buying, so I thought I was safe. But it actually got harder after the sample ended. I went from โ€œIโ€™m barely managingโ€ to โ€œI have absolutely no idea whatโ€™s going onโ€.
So I guess Iโ€™m postponing it until I get smarter.

3 Likes

Interesting challenge :smiley:
Iโ€™m gonna join in and start with ใ‚€ใ‚‰ใ•ใใฎใ‚นใ‚ซใƒผใƒˆใฎๅฅณ
I first know about it from a review of a book by the same author: Japanese Novel Review: ใ‚ใฒใ‚‹ The Duck by Natsuko Imamura (ไปŠๆ‘ๅคๅญ) โ€“ Japanese Book Club Cafe

ใ‚€ใ‚‰ใ•ใใฎใ‚นใ‚ซใƒผใƒˆใฎๅฅณ sounds interesting and I heard the words and grammar used are actually quite simple, that an N3 student would be able to read it without problem.

3 Likes

Thanks for your judgements! I think I will shift it over to the Advanced Book Club then. (Although it will be a pretty quick read in that club, but what can you do :woman_shrugging:)

Oh, thatโ€™s sad to hear! Maybe you can suggest it in the intermediate club, though? Reading it with a club might make things quite a bit easier - also it will maybe not be picked straight away, so youโ€™ll have some time to extend your reading skills.

:tada: Looking forward to your comments!

3 Likes