The 0/0 Streak Challenge

My friend Norman actually used this word in his book, and I have been harassing him it ever since. I even used it in a crossword.
(the word has something to do with some kind of movement in the Anglican(?) church in the 1800’s)

1 Like

Yeah I understand where you’re coming from, but I think there’s also an argument that from a practical standpoint that it is more productive and efficient to learn common words first and less common words later (although language learning goals will affect this, of course). The more common words you know, the more quickly you can begin to start reading materials in the target language (as well as hold conversations with people). In that sense I would say that certain kinds of exposure to language are better than other kinds.

For a comparison to English, let’s say you decided to learn some words with the morpheme/prefix “bi-” (e.g. “binoculars”) meaning twice/double. You could focus on more common words that you might encounter in everyday life, such as bicycle, bilingual, or binoculars… or on words like bifurcate, bihemispheric, bipolar etc that you’re not going to encounter until you get to technical materials or materials written for adult speakers. In my opinion, learning the more common words first is going to more quickly allow you to start consuming the language more quickly and efficiently. But ultimately of course, we should do what works best for us!

Yay, finished all lessons for level 20!

5 Likes

wowowowow

I might actually finish this level in under 20 days.

(I think I’m starting to get sick though noOoOooo…)

9 Likes

I’m finally back at levelling up at a somewhat decent speed (currently 11 days but I think I’ll be able to go faster than that for a few weeks). And today I spent a lot of time on lessons and completed almost 250 of them all at once.

Was that a super stupid idea and I will regret it when this large apprentice pile is coming back to haunt me, burn out three levels after doing this and then go slower overall than if I had just done it at a reasonable speed to begin with? Probably. 85% likely or so.

Am I still happy today that I did it and that I’m back at 0/0? 100% certain. :slight_smile: :woman_shrugging:

It just felt like my brain was ready for a new challenge.

8 Likes

Can low-levelers play too? 0/0!!!:tada::tada::tada:

0-0streak

Now back to grammar…

10 Likes

Struggling to get my accuracy back up above 90% - it’s been a mentally challenging time at work and I’m wiped out when I get home. I’ve been rationing lessons more than ever to compensate. But here’s a 0/0 that should last all day at least. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Enjoying it while it lasts…

9 Likes

level 14
30%20PM

5 Likes

I’ve been pretty solidly 0/0ing for the majority of my WaniKani adventure

However, I was in Japan for three weeks over the Christmas/New Years break, so my level duration looks like this now…

However, I’m finally 0/0ing again, after just reaching 34 and clearing out the lessons!

8 Likes

3/3 now.

8 Likes

2019-01-21_19-24-27

7 Likes

Level 36 almost completed and I still feel like an absolute beginner at Japanese. I really ought to study more grammar.

At least WaniKani is satisfying, and an excellent excuse to listen to some relaxing music. Here’s my jam for this session:

7 Likes

Post of shame here… :sob:

So I was pretty close to 0/0 last night, but too tired to post a screenshot. In the end I decided to do the last of it in bed, which I did… and then forgot to take a screenshot altogether. Leveled this morning, so yeah.

I did take a ss now, though. At least the reviews are at 0? :smiley: Be back with a real 0/0 next week. Maybe.

(Probably.)

Screenshot of Fail

3 Likes

Wow how the hell are you already level 8?! Sugoiii :joy: Congratz!

1 Like

I was used to always keep Wanikani in the 0/0 streak, but I got overwhelmed due to a brief pause before JLPT and then the radicals overhaul (I got 50 radicals to re-learn plus new words and others) and then a two week vacation that crushed my average correct-rate when i came back and restarted reviews.

wanikanistreak

But now, finally, I’m here again!

Ready for the final rush to 60!

5 Likes

About to reach level 21! Wonder how many lessons I’ll get…

7 Likes

14 days later! Level 22! Despite black out all day!! You don’t want to know how I must cross the wide and long river full of crocodiles to get electricity and internet!! Oh yes, this is an exaggeration of course.

11 Likes

Welp, I guess I’ll go ahead and hop on board this train. For now, any how. :smiley:

8 Likes

how dare you rain upon my parade :wink: thanks! おかげさまで。I did my lessons and reviews roughly according to your guide, so take some credit!

2 Likes