The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Finished the Miyu presser from February 17! Here’s the transcript, and here’s the video. I was afraid of bad machine translation spreading false rumors with this one, but thankfully that doesn’t seem to have happened. Still want to make sure I got it right, though!

I don’t think there were any lines that totally confused me, but I probably did miss some things without realizing it, haha. But here’s what I had:

Yamashita: “On March 31, TJPW will be having our first show in Los Angeles, and I was given the opportunity to stay for three months after that. How it happened was that I’d had a strong desire to be active overseas even before the coronavirus pandemic, and I was talking to Koda-san (representative) and other people at the office. Then after the pandemic situation settled, I started to go on more overseas excursions around May of last year, and I started to seriously consider the idea of staying in America, so I spoke with the company, and was given permission to go at this time.”

Namba: “You are scheduled to return to Japan at the Nishitetsu Hall show in June. Do you have any plans for July and onward?”

Yamashita: “I don’t know what’s going to happen after March. I don’t even know if I’ll be alive.”

Namba: “Please come back alive.”

Yamashita: “I want to come back alive, but I don’t know how things will go. I might come back to TJPW and have a match, or I might be going back to the US again in June or July. The future is a bit unclear. I myself don’t know.”

Namba: “Your tag team with Maki Itoh, “121000000”, will be facing Max the Impaler and Heidi Howitzer on March 18 at the Ariake Coliseum. It has been announced that if Wasteland War Party still have the belts at that time, this match will be for the Princess Tag Team Championship. If “121000000” become tag team champions, how will you defend the titles?”

Yamashita: “If the match at Ariake on March 18 becomes a title match, we will win the belts. And, well, if we win them, Itoh comes to America a lot, so if there are worthy opponents in the US, we’ll be able to defend the belts there. And if we want to fight someone in TJPW, if that match can only happen in TJPW, I’ll be able to go back to Japan for a bit. Itoh understands this, and we’ve talked about how both Itoh and I can be flexible during this time.”

Namba: “I think this news will make the rounds in the US as well. What if you get offers for matches during your stay in America?”

Yamashita: “As far as offers go, I was thinking about doing it myself. Please… how does the rest of it go?” (someone offscreen tells her, and then she says in English) “Please contact me for all bookings.”

Namba: “…Are you okay?”

Yamashita: (in English, with a self-satisfied grin) "I’m okay! I’m fine. Are you okay?”

Namba: (in English) “I’m okay.”

Yamashita: (in English) “Repeat after me: Please contact Miyu. Okay?”

Interviewer: “Has it been decided which promotions you will go to and who you’re going to wrestle?”

Yamashita: “A few matches have already been advertised by overseas promotions. After March 31, I think April is full. But there are still openings in May and June, and the more I talk about it, the more I want to wrestle. Because three months is such a short amount of time, I want to go to many different promotions all over the country. Please contact me!”

Interviewer: “Are there any promotions that you want to go to, or wrestlers that you personally want to fight?”

Yamashita: “The reason why I wanted to go overseas in the first place was to meet a lot of different people in a lot of different places, and I want to have matches with many different wrestlers. I don’t have anything specific in mind at the moment.”

Interviewer: “You currently hold the EVE belt, so are you also going to travel to the UK while you are based in America?”

Yamashita: “That will be possible, yes. I want to be flexible, and I want to defend the EVE belt as well.”

Interviewer: “You said that you might be in America again in July?”

Yamashita: “I don’t know how things are going to go. I don’t even know if I will make it back alive. I don’t know what lies ahead, but that’s the exciting part. I’ll come back to Fukuoka, and then I think it’ll depend on what happens during those three months and how it goes.”

Interviewer: “Do you have any worries about living there for three months?”

Yamashita: (with a self-satisfied grin) “No, I don’t. …Why are you laughing?”

Namba: “Everyone here is worried about you.”

Yamashita: “Why? You have nothing to worry about! I’ll be going back and forth just like I’m doing now, and I can communicate happily and people talk to me a lot and take me out to eat, so I’ll be fine. …Why are you laughing? I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I’m more worried that I’ll enjoy myself too much.”

Namba: “Like buying another overpriced smartphone case or something?”

Yamashita: “Yes, exactly. I don’t want to become a shopping monster.”

Namba: “Ah, I see.”

I’d like to also do the Miu and Janai Kai presser, which is after this one in that video, but since the match already happened, I’m going to try to get last week’s show done first :sweat_smile:.

1 Like