The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Here’s another post with some miscellaneous other stuff in it:

First up, something that was a bit interesting to me was this tweet from someone else at Kota’s secret base using the phrase 温故知新 in a sort of… Ibushi Research Institute sense, I guess? For lack of a better way to put it. It made me wonder if Kenny was referring to something a bit bigger than just the Golden Lovers reunion with that phrase… Then again, the person who made that tweet could have just been being a little cheeky about the reunion, haha.

Another thing I wanted to share was that DDT uploaded Konosuke Takeshita’s debut match, which was against El Generico on August 18, 2012 at Budokan Hall. The description says it’s only available for a limited time, so I chose not to embed the video. I’m not sure how long it’ll be up, but it’s a pretty important match, as far as DDT history goes (an important show, too. This was the show that Kenny Omega vs Kota Ibushi II main evented :smiling_face_with_tear:).

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I ended up trying out the CAT (computer-aided translation) program Smartcat after a friend recommended it to me. It’s free, though the downside is that your translations get used to train machine translation (I want machine translation of wrestling stuff to be better than it is so less false rumors get spread, so this is actually a plus, in my opinion).

CAT speeds up human translation because it learns from your previous translation choices and saves you a lot of work. Smartcat also lets you upload custom glossaries, so I went through and made one full of words from the glossary chapter in 新日本プロレス英語入門. I left out some words that didn’t seem necessary to include, and included some that are probably more useful from the other direction (English to Japanese), but I figured it’s still a neat reference to have.

Smartcat lets you export your glossaries, so here is my NJPW English pro wrestling terms glossary, if anyone wants it for any reason. I might try to add more terms from the rest of the book later, though no idea when I’ll get around to doing that.

While making the glossary, I ended up reading the rest of the chapter, haha. Here are a few things I found interesting:

The word they use to define “screw” is 裏切る, which, yeah, it is definitely used for that! Though I don’t think I would have thought of that definition for that word first, haha. They also mention “Dragon Screw” and define “screwed up” as めちゃくちゃ, which actually did seem useful to me for wrestling translations, so I added that to my glossary.

For “stiff”, they gave 強烈な, which seemed potentially useful from a translation perspective!

They clarified that “takedown” is one word. It didn’t occur to me that that sort of thing is probably important to point out to Japanese speakers, since I bet spaces between words don’t stand out to them as much.

I was amused that they defined “heat” as ブーイングを受ける. It’s true, but is kind of funny when you put it like that, haha.

I thought it was interesting that they defined “too sweet” as 最高すぎる. They define “sweet” as 心地よい and すてきだ, with no real mention of the flavor, which is my first thought when I hear the word. Though I guess “too sweet” in a wrestling sense isn’t actually referring to flavor at all. However, there was that one Antonio Honda Gon the Fox joke that absolutely was making a joke about something being “too sweet”, haha.

I learned a new English wrestling term! There is such a thing as a “glue guy”, apparently! It refers to 誰とでも組める選手.

I did laugh when I saw that they had to explain (in the context of describing “hot start”) that in English, “hot” can also mean セクシー.

And for “unleash”, they also define “leash” as the 綱 used when walking a dog.

And that’s it! I’m done reading the glossary! I’m still surprised that I was able to get as much out of it as I did without really looking anything up. I’m not sure what part of the book I’m going to attempt to read next. Maybe the single line translations from the chapter before the glossary? It might be December before I so much as touch the book again, though :sweat_smile:.

1 Like