The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

Kenny also tweeted about their reunion!! :sob:

Thanks to his tweet, I learned the phrase “温故知新”, which is apparently a proverb about developing new ideas based on study of the past. Based on the context (the photo is staged pretty clearly like it’s meant to imply a date, with the candle on the table and the two straws in the drink), it seems like he’s saying that the Golden Lovers are giving their relationship another try, with the intent of not repeating the mistakes they made in the past.

Michael Nakazawa lightly poked fun at Kenny’s tweet when quote-retweeting a reunion of his own, fulfilling the time-honored tradition that there must always be a DDT parody of any Golden Lovers reunion.

cheese_kota

For those who don’t know the deep Golden Lovers lore, they’ve been having dinner dates like this for fourteen years, and Michael Nakazawa has been third-wheeling them for fourteen years. He served as their translator at first, but he has said (many times, but here’s a recent one) that his translations were unnecessary, haha, because even when Kenny couldn’t speak Japanese, the Golden Lovers were still able to somehow understand each other.

This exchange is also the first time that Kenny has interacted directly with any of Kota’s tweets since maybe early 2019. The last time they exchanged tweets (January 2021), Kenny actually replied to Nak’s translation of Kota’s tweet, not the tweet itself. So he was still using Nak as a mediator, almost like he was afraid to speak directly to Kota.

Part of the reason why I love the Golden Lovers story so much is that there are so many small, deliberate details put into it. They’ve built up a really complex and nuanced canon over the past fourteen years. I’m excited to see where they go with it from here!

unbridled_joy

Kota actually recently outright said that there are plans for him to make at least a few appearances at AEW (including tagging as the Golden Lovers). It seems largely dependent on the state of his injury (which was not healing well as of a few months ago, but his more recent posts seemed more optimistic about it), plus I imagine that things are a bit messy with his NJPW contract and all, especially considering that NJPW and AEW have a relationship.

(Putting the rest of my reply to this and some additional discussion under a cut because it's a double dose of industry negativity).

It’s tricky because Kota has made it very clear that he no longer wants to work at NJPW even if he was healthy, and he’s threatened to expose the company for exploitative business practices, but NJPW is trying very hard to make it look like things are all good from their end, and obviously they value their relationship with AEW, and not to mention Kenny is sort of a key player in that whole thing, and Kenny is clearly very close to Kota.

And now it’s tricky from the AEW end as well, since Kenny is currently involved in a completely separate investigation, and his future in AEW is a bit unclear. It seems likely the company will want to keep him, especially since from all of the accounts, he wasn’t an instigator of any of the violence, just a victim of it, but we don’t know how long the investigation will take, or what changes might come as a result of it, and also it’s possible that the whole thing could make him no longer thrilled to be part of the company.

For what it’s worth, I do think that Tony Khan would love to have the Golden Lovers in AEW (he has been a fan of them for years, since their DDT era, even), and I think it’s likely that both companies would give Kenny and Kota more leeway with that story specifically because it’s quite simply a huge money-maker for them and they know it, plus I bet that both of them have an interest in keeping Kenny happy so that he’s willing to work with them.

But also, companies can be very petty, so there’s no guarantee that they’ll make the wisest choices even if that loses them money, and also Kota and Kenny have both gotten hurt in very real ways because of backstage stuff at NJPW and AEW, so I would not blame them as individuals if they didn’t want to work with one or both companies anymore.

I will say, something that did stand out to me about the entire Golden Lovers twitter interaction is that it happened very much on their own terms, outside of any company. It felt sort of like the equivalent of them eloping, honestly, haha :sweat_smile:.

They’ve always been very adamant about the Golden Lovers story being theirs, not belonging to any particular company. It’s clearly something that is very personal and important to them as individuals, and that comes before what it could do for any company’s live gate.

But I do get the sense that this is not exactly how they planned this reunion storyline would go. It might be this was just their best remaining option for it, considering their injuries and all of the backstage stuff at both of their companies. Or maybe things have just been so rough for them lately, they just couldn’t handle the thought of keeping kayfabe any longer, so they decided to just move the story forward on their own so that they could do stuff like go out to dinner together and be seen in public together again.

So, yeah, it’s complicated! I would say that there is a strong chance we see Kota in AEW at least a few times, assuming Kenny stays, but I’m not sure what the timeline looks like for that, or how extensive his participation will actually be.

Maybe in 2023, the Golden Lovers will start an entirely new company together, haha, and get to wrestle in that star-shaped ring that Kota talked about building, and train up new talent and run things under their own terms. Kota wants to do something to change the industry for the better in Japan, and Kenny has plenty of experience (both success and failure) with doing this in America.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how things go!

2 Likes