The 出 radical

Is there a specific reason why the kanji for exit 出 is allready introduced as kanji in level 2 (as two times the mountain radical), but not as radical itself, before level 27?

I was wondering, when 屈 will appeare as kanji, because 出 as kanji is allready introduced in level 2 as well as the flag radical. (Answer is 27, after I learned that 出 is a radical as well.)

Does this (relearning a kanji as a radical much later) happen often, or is this just a very specific case?

Yeah, this is very common. In the WaniKani system, kanji are always made from radicals. So if you have a large kanji made from other kanji you already learned, they first get converted to radicals to consolidate them. If you continued to break everything down into the most basic elements, you’d have kanji with something like a dozen radicals in their mnemonics in some cases.

As you noticed, it shows up when it’s time to use the consolidated version in a new kanji, rather than right after you learned it.

8 Likes

In fact, most radicals in later levels are just kanji you’ve already learned. It makes the radicals pretty easy, even apart from the fact that there are only a couple radicals per level after level 10 or so.

1 Like

I thought so too until I got 平 as a Master item and couldn’t remember whether they wanted peace or flat.

I just wish it was more consistent when they do so. Some Kanji are like, hey it’s this other one with extra bits, but WK says, no no that’s all radicals.

1 Like

The one that always gets me is Jet/Not Yet, although in that case, the radical comes first.

2 Likes

In these cases it wouldn’t hurt to add your own user synonyms for radicals. You’ll be reminded in the mnemonics which meaning they mean. On the other hand, if you really need the mnemonics, it is better to strongly associate the radical with the meaning, of course.