The っ in 真っ黒 and 引っ越す

Why is that 真っ黒 and 引っ越す both have the っ present outside of the kanji? Words like 結婚 aren’t written like 結っ婚, so I wonder if there’s some pattern for the words that have that feature.

1 Like

引っ越す basically comes from ひきこす having a sound change, since it’s easier to say ひっこす. If you write ひき in kanji it’s 引き. The kanji only has the ひ associated with it.

In the case of 結婚 the っ is replacing the つ of けつ, which is part of the reading “inside” the kanji. Basically both just preserve the readings.

Similarly with 真, the associated reading is just ま, and the gemination is “outside” the reading of that kanji.

But sometimes you’ll see those things violated as well. It’s not always 100% consistent, since it’s language.

17 Likes

You seem to know everything, haha. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

This is a bit of a tangent, but if you’re also wondering why there’s an extra っ in 真っ黒 (I mean, it’s ま+くろ, right?)… well, actually, まくろ does exist as 真黒. I think it’s fairly likely that it’s an example of a double consonant (促音=そくおん) being added for emphasis. Other examples of this include
まあか→まっか (真っ赤)
やはり→やっぱり
さき→さっき
ただ→たった

5 Likes

Ah yeah, I looked up the etymology of 真っ黒 on Wiktionary and it said that 真っ was also a prefix that means “truly” or “really”, which goes hand-in-hand with what you said about emphasis.

3 Likes

Some more detail about your second example:

A pattern you’ll probably notice more and more (if you haven’t already) is compound verbs with a form like 引っ越す.
They tend to often be the equivalent of English prepositional phrases, like
持ち込む (~bring in)
取り残す (~leave behind)
刺し殺す (~stab to death)
etc.
and so like Leebo said, the っ in 引っ越す is the same as the hiragana verb endings in those other words, to let you know it’s a compound verb.

I recently started reading a book of Edogawa Ranpo stories originally written in roughly the 1920s, and one of the things that took some getting used to is he consistently omits that middle hiragana bit, rendering them as 引越す, 持込む etc. with the same meaning. So I suspect that alternative would be a marker of an old-fashioned prose style.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.