Thank you WaniKani (Title has already been used!)

Seeing how my two year anniversary using WaniKani is coming up, I thought it might be a good idea to write a short letter of thanks. When I started learning Japanese a little over two years ago, I quickly realized I would need some sort of structure in order to handle the sheer amount of characters I needed to learn. Since I’m a terrible autodidact I checked out various apps and techniques which all had a variety of flaws I wasn’t able to tolerate. When I discovered WaniKani I was pretty much immediately convinced by the concept of breaking down the characters into individual radicals and ended up signing up after the trial period right away. After a year of using WaniKani about an hour a day on average (it turns out picking up 20 new items a day ends up in a lot of reviews after some time…) and some SRS for vocabulary on the side, I felt comfortable enough to read most content, at least to the level of being able to quickly look up new vocabulary when necessary. Another 6 months later I finally finished level 60 and have just been chipping away at my remaining reviews since then.

While WaniKani isn’t perfect (since the radical system kind of breaks down at the halfway mark, among other things), the system does work and it helped me immensely to reach my goals in a rather short amount of time.

So thanks to the WaniKani team, and anyone who bothered to actually read this!

42 Likes