"Thank you for the opportunity to come here"

Hello there fellow Wanikanians,

right now I’m in Japan. The time is nearing to an end, and I’m supposed to give a little speech in Japanese in front of my workgroup.

I can express myself in simple sentences, and that’s alright, for the largest part of the speech that’s enough. Mistakes don’t matter I think. Just one sentence bugs me, and I would really want to get that one right.

It is “Thank you for giving me the chance / opportunity to come here”. How can I say that in rather simple words?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Maybe you can use the below:
今回は(大変)お世話になりました。
また、よろしくお願い致します!

It is very difficult to translate to English so I won’t even try,
however I think it is polite and would be a nice ending to your speech :slight_smile:

I don’t know how odd it’s going to sound if you bust out some keigo for this line, but this is something I found from a native speaker.

このような機会を与えて下さったことに感謝申し上げます

このようなきかいをあたえてくださったことにかんしゃもうしあげます

If you want to translate it with the nuance intact, in somewhat unnatural English, it would be “I humbly express my gratitude for you having graciously given me this opportunity.”

The このような allows the listener to fill in the blank with whatever positive adjective they might imagine without you explicitly saying it.

Thank you for the answer. Maybe you could explain in what cases the first sentence is used? As I don’t want to say something in front of people that I don’t understand. “This time, you helped me”?

I’d rather say specifically what I mentioned. To express my gratitude for this distinct thing: The chance to come here.

Also a question about the second sentence: Isn’t it said in the beginning, when meeting new people?

Thank you and best regards!

Thank you for the answer. Wow, that is quite a large amount of words I don’t know. I don’t want to be ungrateful for your answer, but is there an easier way to say it? I’m supposed to write the speech myself, and if I neither know the words nor the grammar it’s not quite convincing ;).

It’s not important if I use the wrong level of formality, I’m largely sticking to desu/masu.

Maybe somthing along the lines of “kochira (h)e kimasu kikai (w)o arigatou gozaimasu”? I know the “kimasu” is wrong, I have to somehow get it into a noun or something, right?

Sorry for the romaji, no Japanese keyboard installed on this computer.
Thanks again for the answer.

I wonder if, to simplify it a little bit, we could just say
このような機械を与えてくれてありがとうございました。

But what do I know? Lol.

(また)よろしくお願いします is SUCH a contextual expression. In this case, I think it would express that you hope to enjoy the remaining time you have with your colleagues. As @DerRittmeister said, it’s very hard to translate よろしくお願いします because it has so many meanings.

As vesterpop said, you can use the simplified version and that drops it out of the keigo register.

I do recommend ending with よろしくお願いします or よろしくお願いいたします

Regardless of how you translate it, it signals an end to your speech so that you don’t have to trail off and then awkwardly nod or something to say you’re done.

I think the vague descriptor このような is better than trying to literally translate the “for allowing me to come here” part. They will understand what opportunity you are talking about.

I also asked a teacher quickly (I love when people post translation questions, by the way) and you can say something more like:

日本へ来る機会を本当にありがとうございました
nihon (h)e kuru kikai o (hontoni) arigato gozaimashita.

(Don’t worry about using -masu or desu in the middle of sentences. It only needs to be at the end for the sentence to be polite.)

No problem.
The first sentence is used in every business email after writing the name of the person:
Tarredfeathersさん
お世話になります。
Which means something like “thank you for your support”/“please take care of me”/“this will be a good opportunity”/"this will be a good relation"
Very hard to translate, sorry :frowning:

It can also be used as in your situation, when someone has been kind to you/supported you. It is very polite and Japanese to say.
Then it naturally becomes お世話になりました (past tense)
This can also be used after a hotel/ryokan stay to the staff.

For the また、よろしくお願い致します!
don’t forget the また (“again”).
It is just as vague as the above sentence, but also means “please offer your support again”/“we will meet again”/“we will have an opportunity again”/“until next time!”

I am sorry for the vagueness!

Leebo’s sentences also work great, but I think it will be hard for you to remember/say. Also it is very advanced compared to the rest of your speech I guess.
It can be shortened to:
・今回は本当にありがとうございました。またよろしくお願い致します
(thank you very much for this time. We will meet/have an opportunity again)

Woo, I understand that sentence! I will use it, thank you!

Will do, thank you!

Agree, you should definitely end with this (and add また before).
I would also give a little bow as well.
I guarantee you everyone will understand you’re done and start clapping.

That grammar is fancy AF, by the way. It was fun to read, at the very least. Some of those keigo expressions can just get so redundant, huh? Grammatically correct, fancy redundancy.