Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Chapter 6 discussion

I think what’s happening here is this - basically なきゃ is a casual contraction of なければ which is a conditional - so combining with いい you’d be saying “if this happens it is good” and then combining with のに which presents a contrast (kind of like “however” or “but”) so I guess putting it together it would be like saying “it would be nice if no one would come, but…” with the implication that people will be coming (since the school day will start soon)

If I’m wrong anywhere here, someone can correct me - this was mainly a result of some googling

7 Likes

You got it exactly right.

1 Like

〜ばいいのに can also be used to express disappointment/regret about something counterfactual (i.e. that’s contrary to past or present reality). You can take a look at the examples here:
https://maggiesensei.com/2018/03/28/how-to-use-ば-ba/
In this context, however, at the end of a sentence, のに is almost like a tone particle, so while you could interpret it using ‘however’ or ‘but’ in order to understand how it works (I normally translate it as ‘even though’), I’d say it’s more about expressing wistfulness. I would translate 〜ばいいのに as ‘if only ~’ (implied: that would be nice).

5 Likes

Awesome explanation! Thanks!

2 Likes

I was just looking more closely at your post now that I had a little more time this evening, and want to mention the テンション translation on Pg. 16. This word is a false friend. It is borrowed from English (tension), but from everything I have read, when it’s being used in Japanese in conjunction with 高い, as it is here, a better translation would be closer to “energetic” or “hyper.”

At first blush, I translated it like you did, “Why is it so tense in here?” But then I looked again and realised it didn’t quite fit with the sentences immediately around it (it felt like a jump; why should Sanae-chan find the question of tension in the room annoying when it doesn’t affect her, right? If anything, you would think the same curiosity would be there), and that was when I remembered that テンション doesn’t mean exactly what it sounds like.

A better translation of that phrase, I think, would be, “Why/how (なんで can mean either depending on context, and both work equally well in this situation) are you (meaning Mina) so energetic in the morning?”

I could be wrong, but I’m fairly confident in that.

Anyway… I should quit procrastinating my reviews, so I’m off! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

In this case I don’t think there’s really a double negative. しか always goes with a negative verb to give the sense of restriction, something like, “there isn’t anyone but the two of us”. So a straight translation, keeping the negatives as they are, still feels the same in English: Doesn’t it feel like there isn’t anyone but the two of us in the world?

Absolutely agree. On jisho it’s listed both as (emotional) tension; anxiety, and (highness of) spirits; (good) mood; excitement; energy. One should always be careful with loanwords, in any language, because meanings often change, sometimes dramatically. In this context it could well mean good old tension of course, because there is indeed so much tension in the room, but from the context I’d say the comment goes to Mina’s extreme chirpiness.

6 Likes

Can’t believe this but 10 min after reading this… Just heard this in a different anime… Translated exactly as you said… Excited!

Good to know

Especially good to hear and tech right away.

5 Likes

Nope, I’m pretty sure you’re right. Hahaha. テンションが高い tends to mean ‘to be excited’ in these types of stories, even if テンション can also refer to anxiety or worry. (I’ve never seen テンション being used in the second fashion though.)

4 Likes

You are absolutely right, and that’s how it is translated in the anime (I’m rewatching anime tidbits after done with reading).

Yes, that indeed sounds great while being a literate translation, who would have thought! Thanks for the explanation!

6 Likes