Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1, chapter 2

phraww, I have only just finished working through all of chapter 2, I’m a bit behind! (I’ve also written out the lines from chapter 3 and 4 but haven’t worked through yet).

Here are some still unknown / uncertain pieces from chapter 2.

Page 10, panel 2γ€Œθ¨€γ£γ‘γ‚ƒγ‚γ€

γ€Œι«˜ζœ¨γ•γ‚“γ―γ€‚γ€‚γ€‚θ¨€γ£γ‘γ‚ƒγ‚ζ‚ͺγ„γŒγ€γ‚γΎγ‚ŠθƒΈγŒγͺい。。。」
Ichi.moe says this is 言って + は (+ あ)
I think this is consistent with the SO post linked earlier
This would mean this sentence has 2 は(s)

For some reason I’m still not quite able to make this click into a translation.
I did see some posts on this in the thread, going to try re-read them again for a 3rd time and see if I can make them click in my head.

Page 11, panel 1γ€Œγƒ―γ‚±γͺい」

γ€Œγ£γ¦γ€‚γ€‚γ€‚θ¨€γˆγ‚‹γƒ―γ‚±γͺいだろ…」
Not sure what to make ofγ€Œγƒ―γ‚±γͺい」, maybe related to わけだ β€œreasonality”?

Page 15, panel 3 γ€ŒγŸγ‚γ€

γ€Œγ‚ͺγƒ¬γ‚’γ‹γ‚‰γ‹γ†γŸγ‚γ γ‘γ«θ¦‹ε­¦γ‚’γ€
what isγ€ŒγŸγ‚γ€
I think γ€ŒγŸγ‚γ€ can mean β€œreason”, β€œpurpose”, or β€œfor” - but I wanted to double check if that is correct in this context

Page 16, panel 4 breakdown

γ€Œγ γΎγ•γ‚Œγͺい」
I break this down as
だます to trick, to deceive
-γ‚‰γ‚Œγ‚‹ receptive or potential
-γͺい negative
If it weren’t for the negative, say γ€Œγ γΎγ•γ‚Œγ‚‹γ€, it could be interpreted as Nishikata receiving the deception.
But with the negative, and the context where we know he had been deceived, I think we have to interpret this γ‚‰γ‚Œγ‚‹ as instead being the potential form.
Meaning this changes to β€œI won’t be tricked (in the future)”.
Does that seem right?

Sorry for some duplicate questions, I’ve tried reading (and re-reading) posts already covering these points, but they aren’t clicking yet. So I’ll leave these open problems here for now and come back later to try again.

I also wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone for their breakdowns and discussions, I had many more questions but most of them were already answered =D

3 Likes