Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1

If we want to add vocab to the sheet, does it matter on what page it is? If it was on page 4, should it be near the top of the spreadsheet?

They’re in the order in which they appear in the work. There is a column for page number so you should be able to find the entries for page 4 that way and then just see between which existing entries it should go based on where it appears on the page. So if it is the first entry that appears on page 4, it should be at the top of the page 4 entries, etc.

2 Likes

Nice! I checked the cards again, and all but one seem to be fixed! I sent a suggestion to that card within Kitsun.

You should be able to see a number in the top right corner of the deck. Those are modifications that users have sent to you. You click on the number and it will send you to a page where you can check for individual feedback and accept/reject/modify it.

Grepmw3Xtu

No, I mean when you have a vocab that uses Kanji and you’re testing on its reading (you type in hiragana).

On Wanikani, you learn Kanji vocabulary by being tested on reading and meaning. On Kitsun, you can have Kanji Vocab → Reading, Kanji Vocab → Meaning, and English - Japanese (Kaniwani/Kamesame style). Currently, this deck only offers to be tested on Kanji Vocab → Meaning, but I think Kanji Vocab → Reading is also relevant to learn :smiley:

This is how you do it:

OEfMIOVStH

Mind you, only kanji vocabulary would need this Kanji Vocab → Reading practice. So you should only select the kanji vocabulary (in the boxes on the left) and then apply the change just like I did in the gif above :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

5 Likes

I’ve been studying with this deck, and I agree that Kanji → Reading would be nice. For example 歪む is not only a new word for me, but also a new kanji, so I’d like to practice the reading as well.

2 Likes

I too have never done a book club, let alone a Japanese book, I’m in! Ordered the digital version from book walker.

8 Likes

First book club for me also. Book is in transit. I’m doing Tae Kim grammar in preparation. Have to say I’m a bit scared but looking forward to it. I’ve just returned from four months absence of japanese learning (after just grinding to level 11 in 5 months of purely WK)

8 Likes

Oooo I’d really like to try this one! Almost done with Genki I, so I’ll see how I go!

7 Likes

Just ordered a hard copy from CD Japan along with all other available Volumes :star_struck: let’s hope they arrive in time.
Also my first time participating in a book club and it will probably be my first or second time reading a manga in japanese. If anyone has an anki deck for the vocab I would be really thankful - already saw the kitsune deck & jpdb only has vocab for the anime :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hello everyone. This is my second bookclub but as I have not studied much grammar I can’t do it without the great support from more enthusiastic members!

I’ve had a look through the first two chapters and think it looks manageable.

See you all in May

7 Likes

hey everyone,

I don’t think im quite ready to participate in this book club reading - I want to get a good few more kanji under my belt and start my Genki 1 textbook before then - but I was wondering how often a new book is started? is there a main page for the absolute beginners book club, and is there anything else I could be doing in the mean time to prepare for (hopefully) participating in the next book?

Thank you, lovely people

ps good luck

2 Likes

Hay everyone I am wondering is the vocabulary list is already somewhere? I would like to get started on that before may. This will be my first book club and I want to be ready:)
Thanks!

2 Likes

wow nevermind I just saw it :smiley: Must have looked like an add to me and I skipped over it :smiley:

4 Likes

Ohhhhh I’m mighty tempted to try join in, although I’m only halfway through Genki I (finding it a bit… sterile?) but I have started with some graded readers as they’re a bit more interesting. At the very least I might try follow along, even if at a slower pace.

2 Likes

I think you could expect the next book to start in early July. We typically read one book at a time (though there are a bunch of offshoot clubs these days). It would definitely be challenging if you don’t know any grammar; the kanji are less of a concern at this point because the books we read in the Absolute Beginners Book Club usually have furigana.

If I were you I’d focus on grammar for a while. You could join the next book in July or have a look at one of the old book clubs before then. There are always people around to answer questions in those threads as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

The main page of ABBC is here, and it is also in the original post. On the main page there is a list of previous club picks, each of them has dedicated threads with schedules, chapter discussions etc, so you can see what it is.

1 Like

I am the definition of absolute beginner, but this looks really intriguing! I am not sure if I’ll be super vocal or present in the discussions, and might lurk a bit at first, but I’d like to at least try and follow along, see how well I can do!

7 Likes

If you’re up to learning basic grammar at a breakneck pace, you’re in the right place.

8 Likes

If we stick with the plan of a week break in between each book then the next book will start July 10th. We’ll hold a vote to decide which book to read next about 6 weeks before to give time for people to purchase the book before starting.

3 Likes

Any tips for grammar one should be focussing on?

Since I have a few weeks to prep I should probably spend it trying to catch up.

the ones in the book :wink: couldn’t resist すみません。

you’ll just come across them as you read … if you have questions post them up even if they seem silly, someone else will have the same question.

as was said…(by a seasoned reader…who is also one of the folks who has also helped me in the past with bookclubs )

sometimes (maybe every sentence) you may feel like you’re banging your head against the wall but that’s what the club is for … everyone helps everyone else.

You can always search the thread (when the club starts), the whole board, as well as bunpro (if you use that resource. Lots of ways to learn…reading Japanese for a native English speaker isn’t easy (but it is easier than listening comprehension)

A good resources that has been posted in the past is:
http://www.ichi.moe

And when super desperate (practically cheating) / http://www.deepl.com
works super well… Both are free!

4 Likes