Teasing Master Takagi-san šŸ˜ 惻 Volume 6 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete!]

Few thoughts on this chapter and some standout panels

Nakai-kun gives Nishikata a run for his money in the density department, eh? (For those who maybe have no idea what that splotch is: it is the center of our galaxy.)

Her pointedly staring at Nishikata is very adorable. Gotta love it. :grin:

About the only thing keeping me from reading ahead at this point is that I have so many other things to read to distract me. I really am enjoying this sorta mega-chapter that this volume is doing. :grin:

The last couple of volumes of The Quintessential Quintuplets that Iā€™ve been reading have all kinda been a mega-chapter in a sense; it makes it a lot harder to put the manga down when they do this sorta thing. :laughing:

7 Likes

Iā€™m with you on thisā€¦I have some stuff I started but never finished, got busy the the BBC (doing my best to stay 1 ch ahead so I make sure I finish that one), then thereā€™s work and everything elseā€¦blitzed through some of the 元 vol 1 a bit (those ch are so short and cute!) and working on something else I want to finishā€¦ not enough hours in the day ā€¦

6 Likes

Isnā€™t that the truthā€¦ and yet I find myself joining more book clubs as time goes on (despite always telling myself that I need to slow down and quit burying myself) :laughing:

I decided on a whim to try and do Spy x Family with the IBC. I worry itā€™s not going to go well (I still feel like Iā€™m very much a beginner in almost every respect), but Iā€™m going to try it anyway. The worst thatā€™ll happen is I have to come back to it later, right?

6 Likes

I think youā€™re probably better off than you thinkā€¦ not going to read that one (beyond my level right now - timing etc) but the anime is freaking adorable and awesome at the same time!!!

5 Likes

I mean, youā€™re listing the reasons why I probably shouldnā€™t be trying it, but if thereā€™s one thing Iā€™ve learned about myself during this journey, itā€™s that I have zero sense of reason when it comes to trying to read the things I want to read. @TobiasW can definitely attest to my pigheadedness in that respect, eh? :laughing:

Iā€™ve yet to actually watch it, but Iā€™ve seen clips here and there (such is the nature of the internet), and I love what little Iā€™ve been exposed to. Iā€™m definitely excited to give it a try, even if it ends in disaster. :laughing:

7 Likes

you donā€™t even know see the number of books I have purchased and never gotten around too ā€¦ hehehe

6 Likes

Thatā€™s how Detective Conan is for me. Itā€™s a series of stories that each last for a few chapters, with each chapter a cliffhanger until the resolve. Makes it hard to stop mid-story. (Even though Iā€™ve already read these earlier volumes in English before.)

6 Likes

ā€œThe difficulty is only a few JLPT levels above mine, so yeah, that sounds doableā€ is something I have never heard @MrGeneric say out loud, but Iā€™m sure he thinks it regularly. And if he said it one day, I would not be surprised.

4 Likes

Love that black hole reference, it truly is fascinating (but not as fascinating as Nakaiā€™s denseness). I feel like Nishikata and Nakai play well off each other, having the oblivious but sorta recognizing what is embarassing and such, and the completely oblivious type that Nakai is.

Also, I will try out Spy x Family as well, watched some of the anime and it was fun and I figured it was a good moment to do it since I donā€™t think Iā€™ll join on the new ABBC or BBC.

4 Likes

恝恆恧恗悇恆ļ¼ļ¼Ÿ I think space is so cool. :laughing:

Iā€™m excited to see you there! Hopefully it goes well for us both, eh? :grin:

4 Likes

Yess, for sure! I canā€™t keep piling up manga like this tho, Iā€™m on too many offshoots right now, but at least one of them finished so I now have an excuse to add a new one hahaha

6 Likes

adorable :smiley: yeah Iā€™m early this time

4 Likes

Happy weekend yā€™all. We will be reading the end of our mega-chapter this week! ę„½ć—ćæļ¼:grin:

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • Iā€™ve already read it!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I wonā€™t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

7 Likes
Somewhat off topic, but...

When I started Takagi-san with the book club, I had no idea how quickly it would unlock the ability to start consuming other media. At the time, I expected Takagi-san to be the first manga I would ever finish (which, if we are talking about a single volume, is true!), but as of today, thanks to all the skills unlocked by reading along with everybody here in this book club (among other clubs), I have actually officially completed my first full manga series in Japanese: äŗ”ē­‰åˆ†ć®čŠ±å«. 14 volumes, full of idioms and bizarre character quirks that was nonetheless incredibly fun! I now know the idiom é¦¬ćŒåˆć† by heart and could easily recognize a bunch of other random idioms (including ones that were taken and corrupted to make a joke. Thanks Negi. Thatā€™sā€¦mostly not sarcasm, but some of the phrases took me hours to track down, so maybe there is a bit of sarcasm in thereā€¦ :laughing:)

I just wanted to take a moment to maybe brag about it a little bit. :wink: But more importantly, I wanted to just post a heartfelt thanks to everyone here! I quite literally could not have gotten to where I am in my reading ability without having started with this club with all of you, and Iā€™m so happy and grateful to all of you! Hereā€™s looking forward to more reading and more time spent with a truly wonderful group of people!

Nowā€¦to actually read the Takagi-san chapter as a reward for that punishing push to finish the final volume. :wink:

8 Likes
My thoughts as I go through part three (with spoilers).

31563-fs8-fs8

And it only went downhill for him from thereā€¦

7 Likes

Thatā€™s why I often try to really encourage people to join the ABBC and start reading. While a lot of people will necessarily drop out early, if even one person who wasnā€™t considering reading decides to give it a try and (painstakingly, but surprisingly relatively quickly) unlocks their ability to read, itā€™s worth it.

7 Likes

Your entire thought process is definitely similar to mine. :laughing:

Why does this look so familiar but I canā€™t place it?

Agreed! Youā€™ve turned me into something of an evangelist regarding the book clubs, as well. :wink:

7 Likes

Harvest Moon, specifically the original SNES title =D

Welcome, Brother Generic. We have a long history of Book Club Evangelism.

The support system of a book club is a great way to get past the initial hurdle of not knowing how to go about starting reading.

7 Likes

wish I was as confident as you bothā€¦but reading has absolutely helpedā€¦ went to the dentist to day and was stuck waiting and didnā€™t bring my tablet with meā€¦itā€™s super rare there is ever any waitingā€¦but had my phoneā€¦

thought well heck I can readā€¦thankfully I remembered my bookwalker password and opened up flying witch vol1 (from ages ago - donā€™t even remember when we read that)ā€¦thought letā€™s see how this goes and went through 41 pages today in 10-15 minutesā€¦felt good to be able to do that!!! Havenā€™t looked at it since was struggling with the book club read ages agoā€¦ definitely have come a long wayā€¦

8 Likes

When I did my first try at pitch accent testing today, I found thereā€™s a pitch accent type that perfectly represents the change in my ā€œpitch accent recognitionā€ confidence:

(I knew Iā€™d be really bad at it, but was unprepared for just how bad!)

Hopefully you took the opportunity to cry out in victory, confusing the dentist and other patrons in the process.

7 Likes