Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 5 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete!]

leaving in 3 weeks… fingers crossed the reopening happens on the 11th like it should then I’ll be on a red eye on the 14th…

1 month in Japan hopefully....

Don’t wanna derail… so here is the off topic bit…

Will be spending the 1st week in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto…typical Japan stuff…then flying to Miyazaki and spending a week in Kyuushuu doing a driving trip exploring Miyazaki, Takachiho, Beppu and then back down the coast. Weeks 3 and 4 will be in Hokkaido (another driving trip)… my other half will be flying back after 2 weeks… not that it matters I’m the only one of us that knows any Japanese…

Hokkaido I’m especially looking forward to…lots of nature photography, quiet and cold…though too early for snow (probably)… Starting in Sapporo to Asahikawa, Wakkanai, Abarahi, Shiretoko, Nemuro, Kushiro, Obihiro and returning to Sapporo over 2 weeks driving… should be a very peaceful and relaxing vacation (which I desperately need).

2 Likes

Yeah, でもいい (when used like this) is just even more emphasis. That’s like “even if,” so that connotation of compromise becomes stronger.

As far as what で is doing specifically, I’m not really sure. I would speculate that it’s the means particle in some fashion, “With ○○, it’s fine” but that is a guess. I’ve just accepted this one as a set point, and wiktionary isn’t being particularly illuminating. I could check for native sources, but that’ll be a Sunday thing before I could start digging that deep.

3 Likes

Woah nice! Wishing you a nice relaxing holiday :crossed_fingers: I’m planning to spend a month in Japan next year, but I honestly still don’t have any idea what to do and where to go, I would appreciate any advice on the matter

2 Likes

で as the means particle sounds good and your explanation hits intuitively, and now also the difference with がいい is clearer… thanks!

3 Likes

I’ll have better idea after this trip…though I’m not a party person so I’m heading to quiet places generally :slight_smile: the opposite of Tokyo (of course will be there some)…but generally looking forward to the more quiet nature/photography relaxing stuff… less than 3 weeks!!! Finally!!!

3 Likes

I’m not a party person either, and even tho I’m not very passionate about photography I still appreciate the subject and love nature as well, so when you’ll be back your advices will be helpful :grin:
I was thinking about dividing the holiday into two parts. First, enjoying the big cities and second enjoying the nature (so for what I understood from your previous description there are many places in Hokkaido that must be visited)

Wishing you the best time there, can’t wait to go as well!

3 Likes

Was quickly rereading page 11 and I noticed I missed something, in the 2nd speech bubble of the 3rd panel Nishi says 違うって!!
What is that って for? Is it something’s shortened form or it’s simply like a quotation or what?

Not sure what ってこと stands for, but if I remember well and if it’s the case, this literally means

“You want the ‘thing’ of (us) being together?”
where ってこと simply is an abstract ‘thing’ which represents what follows?

3 Likes

It’s the casual quotation particle.

Chapter 5, Pg. 12

This a shortening of ということ. It essentially nominalizes a phrase, but it’s also a way of kinda saying, “That means…”

In this case, I would interpret the line to be:

“That means you always want to be together?”

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for your help and sorry for my late answer, I’m moving house and didn’t even have time to read the manga🙏

Ok, so it’s the quotation particle, what is it’s use here? It didn’t look like Nishikata was quoting something and I remember him saying it very often when Takagi accuses him of something

The rest is perfectly clear, I suppose ということ sort of works like “that is to say” → that means

Makes sense!

2 Likes

He is emphasizing that she is wrong. He said it once before, and the quotation marker is being used to emphasize that he did so.

Sorta like how in English, we might say, “I said you’re wrong.”

3 Likes

Okay, so it’s for emphasizing, got it, even tho it feels weird since he didn’t say it before (if I remember good) in this chapter… it would feel weird even in english or italian to me to hear “I said ○○○” if that thing wasn’t actually said before in that conversation or a linked recent happening

1 Like

Might feel more natural to word it, “I’m saying” instead of “said,” in this specific context (I misremembered that he hadn’t yet said it in this chapter), but either way, yeah, it’s emphasis.

1 Like

This sounds great!

1 Like