Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 4 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

She was so happy

Instant disappointment

がっかりよね

1 million years of wiseness

9 Likes

Just confirming my understanding about the chapter:

Takagi-san is basically saying: When you yourself are cheating, (you) must watch out for your opponent also cheating?

It also sounds like she secretly kept the two aces from the first game? :rofl:

4 Likes

she is omnipotent after all :wink:

3 Likes

Is everyone ready for another fun weekend of Takagi-san? :smiley: I know I am!

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)
0 voters

Also, I will be posting polls in the home thread to figure out the participation plans and start dates for Volume 5 after I finish updating this thread, so please head there after voting here! Thank you, everyone! You’re the best!

Edit: The polls are up in the home thread!

6 Likes

cute and fun read… and vocab populated

6 Likes
Looks like this week's chapter precedes this one from Yukari volume 2.

5 Likes

I have done my passes through the chapter. Instant 10/10. Any chapters with cats are great! :grin:

Standout Panels/Story Comments

I love the details of these two panels, as he gets closer to the cat, with the eyes opening, and the claws coming out. If anything, I think Takagi saved Nishikata from a good scratching. :stuck_out_tongue: This cat was having none of his tactics.

She knows him so well. :laughing:

かわいいね!

He thought he could outwit Takagi-san. :laughing: Well. There sure was an attempt, buddy.

And after all that, the cat decided to leave before he could pet it. Poor Nishikata. :stuck_out_tongue: Should’ve just admitted he likes cats!

7 Likes

Loved this chapter, especially because it helped me find relevant vocab for talking about petting cats :slight_smile:

Also it has cats, and I cannot fault something that has cats (unless it’s Cats)

3 Likes

Every time I’m reminded of that sin against all that is decent…

2 Likes

doesn’t anyone love dogs…

3 Likes

I’m an equal opportunity animal lover*! Cats and dogs are both wonderful!

*I’m not fond of snakes, but I don’t dislike them. I just wouldn’t want to share a living space with them.

3 Likes

I like some dogs but on the whole I’m a bit scared of them. They can be lovely, but cats are much more my speed

3 Likes

sure about that one? cats…also known as natures prefect killing machines… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(can’t help but think of this poor dog as 西方

I do love all animals though…but much more a dog person…

3 Likes

Ahaha. I felt I had to throw in the snake line. My girlfriend loves them, but I always tell her it’s because she didn’t grow up somewhere that she had to grow a healthy level of respect for them. :wink:

I can definitely understand that; especially with some people not doing a particularly great job at training larger breeds not to be so exciteable and jumpy. Even as somebody who loves dogs, one of my biggest peeves are ones that are ill-mannered and don’t know not to jump on strangers.

When I’m in a position where I have a yard again, I definitely want dogs again, though. I would love a Shiba Inu. A family friend has one, and his personality and temperament are just so loveable. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Counterpoint:

Look at them toebeans. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

this thread is devolving hehehe…

There may be only a handful of bad dogs but LOTS of bad dog owners.

We have had several BIG dogs…and yeah it’s cute when they are puppies but if you don’t teach them when they are young a 150 monster jumping on an adult, alone a kid…isn’t great…

This was our biggest dog 150# seriously lab/rott mix… he was so sweet but scary bark…perfect deterrent for bad guys…

and his buddy who also has passed she was about 85 lbs maybe

The current beastie!!! though this is when he was a puppy (husky/akita/aussie shep mix - mutt)…no idea but awesome about 85 lbs and has the best howl! thankfully not full husky or the neighbors would h8 us…but honestly he’s the quietest dog I think I’ve ever had…if he barks something is really wrong…

3 Likes

Another weekend, another chapter with Takagi-san and Nishikata!

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

3 Likes

interesting… not sure what to do with this one…kind of get the gist but how to explain this one…

page 120 chapter page 4

今日のために練りに練った 「高木さんをメールでからかう作戦。」

overall this is fine, but this middle part seems strange when looking at the literal definition (feel like this is an idiom?)
練りに練った

Literally doesn’t make sense but thinking about it as kneading bread (does anyone do that anymore :smiley: ) … kneaded / polished etc…
deepL has ‘well-rehearsed’ which sounds good…

so I get the idea but this one there must be a better explanation / link to be had…?

not sure what to put in the vocab list for this one :thinking:

6 Likes
I've not yet read the chapter, so grain of salt, but out of context thoughts

Definition 2 on Jisho does list 練る as meaning, “to polish (a plan); to elaborate”, so I think that’s the definition I would put. The slight repetition throws me, honestly, but 練りに練った kinda reads to me as, “elaborately worked out (a plan)”

I could be wrong, though. I’m still not very good with “に as an adverb” uses, yet.

Edit: actually, strike that. A better way to word it is more along the lines of "well-developed,"as you say.

【練りに練る】とはどういう意味ですか? - 日本語に関する質問 | HiNative

It seems to have a connotation of mulling over the plan repeatedly, like you would knead bread. Maybe put it in as something like, “to thoroughly work out a plan,” but it might be best to leave as a grammar point for discussion here instead of putting it an as a definition.

Edit 2: This one actually compares to “elaborate plan” in English directly as well, so :man_shrugging:

【練りに練られた】とはどういう意味ですか? - 日本語に関する質問 | HiNative

I’ll have a stronger opinion which direction I lean after actually reading the chapter tomorrow (though I’m glad my gut instinct doesn’t seem totally out of left field!) :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I think you’re spot on…and definitely this is something new that I hadn’t run across which is why I was thinking it was more like an idiom…

curious if you find or learn anything about any specific grammar that might be used more generally… but in the meantime this is very insightful!

adding some additional info…

personally for a literal translation I like
練り = elaborate (noun-ish form)
に = +ly (makes adverb)
練った + planned
elaborately planned
(i.e…well kneaded haha )

I could be completely wrong but I do think you hit the nail on the head (to use another idiom) :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

took me forever with all the interruptions tonight but finished (easy read) and lots of RECENT wk lessons…maybe some words will be less leechy haha…

That last line …

もしかして家でもからかわれるコトになるんじゃないか

took me a sec to realize what she meant…ADORABLE!!!

5 Likes