Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 4 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

That could have been phrased better on my part, again. :sweat_smile:

Yes, it is なる → なったら in the last bit there. It’s pretty much just being used for the purposes of creating the conditional, but preserving the “becoming” aspect of the phrase, hence why I phrased it the way I did, but I could have been more explicit.

1 Like

Oh ok, got it👌

1 Like
5.5.3.1-2

Not sure about some details with this, here’s my free interpretation:

“Well, (you) may have changed idea by the end of the lessons, so if it’s good, answer me later.”

2 Likes

Since し you might かもしれない change your mind…

It’s good, which details are you not sure about?

2 Likes

For example, is there a sure subject marker in this sentence? I wasn’t sure about the subject at first
(I mean apart from the context which was already kinda foggy)

2 Likes

Ah, you mean who the sentence is talking about.

Well, it’s not the speaker, because ちょうだい is asking someone to do something for you, usually a woman speaking.

So whoever they are speaking to is the subject.

Is there a subject marker in this sentence? I don’t think so.

How is the context foggy?

2 Likes

Not sure about something, in this senrence って思われてる and みたい to me looks like doing the same thing, since 思われる is ‘to seem’ on jisho while みたい is ‘…like…’ or ‘similar’
Anyway I’d translate this sentence in such way
[私の方が西片を好きって思われてる] みたいなんだよね
“ ‘Looks like’ [It seems that I like Nishikata more than he does] “
More than- is because of the comparative nuance given by の方が

1 Like

This is the cue I based on, in fact also jisho says it’s more feminine but Nishikata fooled me a couple times so… I wasn’t sure

Ok, I asked since I noticed i’m quite distracted on some things that can be a sign of who the subject is and wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything here
Ignore the context, not important anymore :ok_hand:

1 Like

This is passive 思う.

I wouldn’t say the の方が works as comparison here, much less compared to Nishikata.

Can you figure it out with this?

「私の方が西片を好き」って思われてるみたいなんだよね

2 Likes

Wait, I thought it was the same thing🤯

“ it is that なんだ it seems like みたい it’s thought (by people) that I like Nishikata “
…?

2 Likes

I don’t get what this sentence means
もう→more/further
少しで→with a little bit (で means?)
ネコにさわれる→ Be able to touch the neko (に particle and not を ?)
かもしれない ??? Wtf is doing this here? i have zero clues
ところ→ don’t know what this does here, I’m seeing this word very rarely and can’t get a decent feel, looks like it can do 10 different things and other 10 when after plain/past verbs etc…
のに at the end→no clue about this too

Takagi-san is making me freak out lately… for real
I can do 10 pages of AoT and read that long ass dense block of text without almost zero doubts, and when I go back on takagi-san literally nothing makes sense… this is really frustrating. Looks like the more I read the more this manga becomes difficult, I spent the last 2 hours on the first 5 pages of this chapter

EDIT: had an insight, could this mean
“Damn Takagi-san… Despite a little bit more and I might have been able to touch the cat… “
Still unsure on what で is

2 Likes

This also is a weird sentence in my eyes, don’t get the weird order
But I was able to translate it as (literally)
“But, as for being seen, the thing of petting the cat, I’m glad wasn’t.”
Probably it’s not even so accurate literally but I guess it makes sense
My doubt on it is that if I try to translate this on DeepL without the くてよかった part, the meaning is totally altered so I’m wondering if there’s something I missed or it’s just DeepL that doesn’t work with this one

2 Likes
Chapter 7, Pg. 5

もう少しで is a set expression, meaning “nearly; almost; close to,” so if I were to pick the usage, I would say it’s behaving as the “manner” usage.

触れるis intransitive here and can’t use the を particle. に marks the ネコ as receiving the verb in this case.

A grammar point, meaning “might; perhaps; may”

I believe this is the “just about to” meaning. It follows a casual non-past verb, even if that verb is technically in the negative (しれない), and it fits the context.

Expresses a lament/desire for the circumstances to have played out differently. A lot like when we use “though” at the end of a complaint in English.

Overall, I would say your guess turned out close. My interpretation, trying to keep all the grammar in:

“I may have been close to being on the verge of touching the cat, though…”

More naturally:

“I was just about to touch the cat, though…”

You have the meaning correct.

Naturally phrased: “Thank goodness I wasn’t seen petting the cat.”

2 Likes

MeGeneric answered, but I already typed it so…

もう少しで based on もう少し (a bit more)
ネコにさわれる : さわる and ふれる are two big weirdos, they can’t take either に or を for their object “to touch thing”.
かもしれない : maybe
ところだった
のに: Personally, I saw it as the same as all the other のに, the conjunction despite/though/and yet to express lament, regret, dissatisfaction, criticism, but with a vague second part dropped. Mostly just to add those kind of feeling. I just always imagine the cry of the banshee disappointed/lamenting. I could almost touch a cat noniiiiii :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

I thought the same, but I wasn’t sure because it was negative, so it still works… the rest is clear, I had completely missed that もう少しで was an used expression

Is there any way to check if a particular verb can take a particle like in this exact situation? I wondered this many times

Another thing I had completely missed. Abou this bunpro page you linked, I notice two things. First, funnily enough, in the 2nd last example sentence is used 少しで, too :joy: and second, it also talks about the word ところ being preceded by ない, in which case it all means “about not to happen” (but then happened). I wonder how this works since it’s not a normal negation but an expression かもしれない

This is the second time I screenshot one of your explanations on the のに :rofl: this one is hard to make sense of, logically, here’s why I keep missing its meaning

1 Like

I’m not able to get the logic behind this sentence
こう→like this
なっている→ is becoming
に→don’t know what the に particle is doing here after a verb :thinking:
違いない→ not different? before @Arzar33 gets mad at me, I just remembered the grammar point you linked 3-4 times :laughing:

これ以上→ More than this/ (moreover?)
高木さんにからかわれる要素→ takagi san teasing me components?
増やしてたまるか→to add, but I don’t know what たまる means here, neither why is there か

3 Likes

So you don’t need help with に違いない? :eyes:

要素 seems to be factors or things in a list

たまる is to bear
たまるか would make it like, “I can’t bear”

2 Likes

I don’t know any really good way, sadly, because I would have killed to have this kind of resource when I started learning.
Still recently I found the Ninjal Handbook of Japanese Basic Verbs unfortunately all in Japanese, but they do have formula for some verb. For example, さわる :
<人・動物>が<もの>に[を]さわる

I think you can ignore the かもしれない in this case. It’s true that it’s originally か+も+知る but it’s such a frozen expression now, it probably doesn’t it take part in the grammar of the sentence, almost like a sentence ender. (and in casual speech people just use かも, it feels even more like a sentence ender!)

My (over-simplistic) grand theory of のに.

のに is just a conjunction meaning “but” like けど or が, but with some added emotion of regret, lament, doubts, dissatisfaction, criticism depending on context, and the second clause is always some bad thing that happened/will happen. (note: that’s really oversimplified, there are some other cases)

Canonical example:
いっぱい勉強したのに試験に落ちた :disappointed_relieved:
I studied hard but failed the exam.
Nuance of lament//regret. 試験に落ちた is the bad thing

But Japanese being Japanese, people will very often dropped the second part and rely on context. If person A ask “So how was it ?” and person B say “いっぱい勉強したのに… :disappointed_relieved:”, then person A will perfectly picked up that the exam went wrong.

And then, going one step further, people just start to add のに at the end of sentence to add this nuance of emotive regret/lament/doubts/dissatisfaction/criticism, and there is not even really a second part anymore just a fuzzy “bad thing happen” feeling.

And then one step further, you have those ばいいのに, “I wish” but with some hint of regret/lament for thing that could have have played out differently or for thing you know will never happen. (like before we saw ずっと夏休みだったらいいのになー). So it ends up being used for counterfactual too (上手に日本語が話せればいいのに。I wish I could speak Japanese fluently…)

2 Likes

Not anymore I hope :joy:

What does this have to do with これ以上?

How is this a negation? (Edit: read the article but still don’t get it. Is it like wondering “enduring/bearing this? No way” ?)

I have no clue about what I’m looking at, I’m afraid :joy: but this website sounds good, need to learn to use it

Got it

I see, awesome explanation. So basically のに always literally refers to something else but it’s so used that that part sometimes is totally ignored even by japanese peoples, which use it just as nuance… and other times, of course, it actually links two sentences… but wanting to divide の and に I still wonder what these two particle do together. I guess の is always a nominalizer here, and に should mark a target… for what? Or is this reasoning just wrong in this case?

Anyway, can’t believe I’ve been working on page 5 of this chapter since 5p.m. (9p.m. now, not continuously of course but… fuck this page was tough)
How is Takagi-san manga so difficult at times

2 Likes

Like, “I don’t know if I can bear adding any more things Takagi could tease me for.”

I think.

Basically, “any more factors than this”.

I think that’s how it works, yeah.

Like a rhetorical question.

2 Likes