Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

I feel like half the time I go to check an anime (for its English subtitles) to verify what’s said in the manga, I find they changed the line. This happened a lot in Flying Witch, where the anime reworded things.

I wonder if that means us manga readers are getting substandard dialogue…

If for the vocabulary: need to play more ポケモン =D

If for the kanji: welcome to my world =(

3 Likes

Ahaha. That could be, but I wonder in this case, if the line isn’t a reference to something industry-specific (be it pro-wrestling, or a videogame term), and they just made it more generic for the anime so it made more sense to a wider audience… Which, probably for the best, since we have no idea what it is referencing, for sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are some remakes coming out… If I play them in Japanese, it’s definitely learning and not just playing around (that’s been my excuse for Tales of Arise, and I’m sticking to it!)

It’s definitely the vocabulary. The わざ reading gets me everytime. I remember ぎ, but blank on わざ. -.-

2 Likes
Off-Topic Technique

The generation of 92 different わざマシン (TMs) to collect =D

2 Likes
Off Topic

I know that speaking technically (forgive the pun), a Technical Machine is probably a cleaner translation of Technique Machine… but the Japanese name actually makes sense to me, given it’s teaching a technique, whereas Technical Machine just got wrote off in my head as nonsense jargon (by their very nature, aren’t all machines technical?), so that’s today’s mind blown moment. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also forgot about the absolutely monstrous amount of TMs in that generation. Haha. Well, more practice reading the leech! :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, the word technical has lost all meaning after using it so many times in a row… I wonder if there’s a term for that phenomenon. :thinking:

Edit: There is! Semantic satiation - Wikipedia.

2 Likes

This week’s chapter didn’t have anything that I really got hung up on, at least, but since I missed the discussion of last week’s chapter, I did have a question about one part in it:

Chapter 6 page 10

「即答…か 次は失敗するかもとかないのか…? 余裕だな…」
「オレは今のでけっこう腕が疲れたっていうのに…」

“An immediate reply… I’ll probably fail next time right…? Well, I have some time…”
“Because right now, I’m pretty tired…”

I’m a little confused about what the 「とかない」 is after 「かも」. I thought maybe this was another break in his thought since it starts on a new line, and the only thing that I could find that seemed to fit was one of the definitions of く meaning something like “to dissolve (a contract); to cancel”, since I don’t think this is a case of 「ておく」getting contracted to 「とく」. In which case it would be something like “I’ll probably fail next time… can I cancel it (the match)?” but I don’t think that quite fits with the verb tense.

I’m also a little confused with the usage of 「ので」 right after 「今」 and I’m not sure if I am understanding that sentence 100%.

3 Likes
Chapter 6, Pg. 10

This was the same meaning I took away from it, as well.

As for the next question, well, I struggled with it a bit too.

Broken down, my thought process went:

オレは = “As for me”

今ので = “Because of just now,” Or “because of what just happened” (in more natural English) - the ので gives the “because” part of this.

けっこう = “fairly” or “somewhat” or “pretty”

腕が = “arms” with a subject particle

疲れった = “to become exhausted” or “to become tired”, in the “past-tense” form of the verb

っていうのに = form of というのは, I think, with a のに modification to add a “lamenting/regretful” type of feeling to it… This is the part I’m not as confident in, but it fit in with the context.

Altogether, “As for me, because of what just happened (referring to the fact that he just did a bar-flip/back-hip circle, or whatever you want to call it), this means (the っていう part) (my, implied) arms became pretty tired, though (the のに, which I put here as “though” ​to indicate unhappiness about it, but was hard to translate, so)…”

Clean version without my explanations:

“As for me, because of what just happened, this means my arms became pretty tired, though…”

That’s ultimately where I fell on it, but I could be wrong. I’m open to correction on that front, as always!

4 Likes
Chapter 6 page 10

Now that I’m reading it with what you said in mind, I wonder if the first thought bubble was talking about Takagi rather than himself? Then he switched the topic to himself in the second thought to contrast how calm Takagi is with how tired he is.

2 Likes
Chapter 6, Pg. 10

Edit: Ignore this answer, the と being the quotation particle is the obvious elephant in the room I missed, and @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz’s answer is definitely it! Lightbulb moments. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think he is definitely talking about Takagi-san, but I’m actually going to correct my reading of とかない to the “to work out” meaning of 解く, in retrospect, and say that the translation would be better read as,

"An immediate reply, huh? Next time, (what if she) makes a mistake and it doesn’t work out?.. (She’s awfully) calm… (implied, “considering that”).

I’m obviously taking a lot of liberties to make that make sense in English, but that’s the new impression I’m getting after a second pass… I see @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz is typing, so maybe they’ll see something I’m missing that makes this clearer! They often do! :grin:

1 Like
Chapter 6 page 10

My interpretation here is that Nishikata is pondering about Takagi-san’s response.

即答…か => An immediate reply, huh? (即答 is generally used in the sense that a response has no hesitation in it at all)
次は失敗するかもとか => This と at the end is a quotation, and the か is marking a question. “I might fail next time”
ない => not exists
の => explication-tone の
か => yet another question.
余裕だな => to be calm / composed.

So what’s happening is that Nishikata is wondering why, for Takagi-san, there doesn’t seem to exist the question “I might fail next time”.

“A reply with no hesitation… does she not wonder if she might fail at all next time? … She’s so calm about it”

6 Likes

I also interpreted it like this.

3 Likes
Chapter 6 page 10

Ahh, that makes more sense. I had thought that と might have been a quotation particle, but couldn’t piece together how かないのか fit with it. Apparently, there’s also a Bunpro entry on this as well. It’s much easier to learn about something when you know what you’re looking for lol.

とか - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro

3 Likes

I’m a bit early this week, but oh well! I look forward to reading this chapter with everyone. Only two chapters (and a bonus) left before Volume 4! Where has the time gone, eh?

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

4 Likes

With this series, it kind of bounces back and forth…

4 Likes

7W1c5V0

2 Likes
2 Likes

this was such an AWESOME episode!!!

to try to get caught up this weekend…since I’m slacking and behind hehe

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this week’s chapter to show up. I knew it there had to be one because it was referenced in 「恋に恋するユカリちゃん 3」.

Spoilers (don't view until after reading this week's chapter!)

But he’s not the only one who had a prank done on them.

4 Likes

yeah all caught up and glad I didn’t speak at the spoiler … went back and reread…even the panels were drawn strategically! :wink:

3 Likes

This week’s chapter was great fun, and thank you, @christopherfritz, for sharing the scenes from the spin-off. After this series is done, I’ll likely pick up that one at some point to revisit it from a different point of view. It seems entertaining, for sure, and a funny POV on our protagonists! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s interesting because, while most of what goes on doesn’t involve Takagi and Nishikata in the background, it does cover a lot of the same events. So, you’re seeing other things going on at the same time, and in some cases a bit of what took place even moments after a chapter in Takagi-san ended.

One thing, though… It feels so weird for me every time I see Takagi referred to as Takagi-chan (by Yukari). It just doesn’t feel normal, as I’m so used to Takagi-san (or else, Takagi-sanめ).

5 Likes