Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

I’m already loving this… just this line

オレが決めてもいいかな

he will never learn hehehe

4 Likes

This was pretty great…didn’t populate as much of the vocab but a chunks of it are there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally got a little more time to sit down and actually finish reading the chapter. I sat down to do so yesterday, and just kept getting interrupted, so wrote it off as a lost cause.

I got through this chapter without much difficulty. I had a couple sentences through the chapter that I had to stop and parse a little bit more, and the first page had some words that I had to double check. I knew the words, but without the kanji there for them, my brain didn’t make the connection confidently. However, other than that, it was smooth sailing. It’s quite nice to feel like I’m actually reading, and it’s starting to feel more and more like I’m not trying to translate the text in my head as much, until I hit something that I don’t fully understand.

Now, I’m sure that feeling will go away the moment the Beginner’s Book Club starts Way of the Househusband, but for now, I’m gonna revel in the feeling until the bubble is popped. :stuck_out_tongue:

Story Comments/Standout Panels

As @shuly said above, he will never learn. Gotta admire the confidence in picking a match based on having been able to casually do something once…for the first time in one’s life. Might want to get a little more practice in something before choosing THAT as your ace, Nishikata.

I wonder if this is after the height-measuring incident… I suppose she didn’t actually lie in that chapter, but if it’s after the height-measuring situation, I can understand Nishikata not trusting her word here. :stuck_out_tongue: She definitely outsmarted him as usual; he’s trapped between a rock and a hard place, here.

Oh, she knows he looked. She isn’t saying she knows, but she knows.

Haha, poor Nishikata. Beaten at his own game, tries to come up with a feeble defense, and is called a pervert for all his troubles. :stuck_out_tongue:
Though, I guess it’s also a bit of bad luck for him that she happened to be wearing shorts that day, and was thus willing to actually do the match. :stuck_out_tongue:
Well, that, or @vikingschism’s theory that she is some sort of secret all-knowing deity holds truth to it.

8 Likes

Props to Nishikata for coming clean after he saw she was really doing the move.

8 Likes

Left this a little late into the week but another fun chapter. Fun to think that once I would’ve groaned internally whenever we saw a textbox of Nishikata’s internal monologue and now I don’t even bat an eye at passages like that in the first panel you pointed out here

And yes, more proof for my theory - Takagi is an eldritch being beyond the bounds of time and space and can thus see what Nishikata will do

4 Likes

I believe most everyone who is still participating has voted, but just in case, I’m going to post a gentle reminder that the polls for the start dates and everything for the next volume will be closing tomorrow, so if you haven’t voted yet, and you have strong feelings one way or another on any of the polls, please do so this evening!

2 Likes

It’s the weekend, which means it is time for more time spent with Nishikata and Takagi-san!

Are you planning on reading with us this week?
  • I will be reading along!
  • I will catch up later!
  • I won’t be reading (anymore)

0 voters

3 Likes

probably going to be behind though… will try to get to this chapter during the week :wink:

2 Likes

Alrighty! I can take on the vocabulary sheet this week, then, no problems! :grin:

2 Likes

always appreciated… (honestly I could read it… but I’m working on a detailed reread of the first vol レンタルお兄ちゃん) … read the first vol when I was camping and got the idea but wanted to do a detailed breakdown…I definitely missed some stuff…about halfway through so far…

and I still have some writing I need to do but have no idea what to write…I know what I’m supposed to do but no idea what to actually put down on paper(?) do we even say that anymore haha

2 Likes

Totally makes sense! I know that when the BBC begins Way of The Househusband, I’m going to be a little over my head, and will likely have to spend extra time, as well, on that until I get into the swing of things, so I completely understand taking extra time for more difficult projects. Honestly considering getting a head-start on that book this week, should I find the time.

Writer’s block of any kind sucks, for sure… I find that doing a handwritten draft on paper helps me out, personally, when I suffer from that. Something about it just helps the inspiration flow a bit better for me than typing it out, personally!

4 Likes

haha this one is a bit more tricky… have to write about looking for a job in Japan which seems simple but it’s this whole complicated thing… and a chem eng job in Japan… 日本語が上手じゃないから、本当にできない。沢山の特別な言葉があるよ!

4 Likes
Page 14

Couldn’t find any dictionary entries for this, but it seems it’s a phrase used when you cannot allow an enemy to do something:

6 Likes

Good to know, thank you!

I found the same thing as you when I was looking into it; I also found this on Jisho, and I assume they are related, with そうはいくか being a shortened version of そうは行かない

Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

I did run into a couple of other things in this chapter, though, that I’m not 100% certain how to make heads or tails of.

Pg. 11

In the first panel, when Nishikata says:

そうだ。。。忘れていた。。。 高木さんには変顔という飛び技があったことを。。。

“Oh yeah, I forgot… Takagi-san has a [???] technique called “funny face”.” (roughly translated, but that’s the basic gist of it, I think.

I am not really sure what the 飛び descriptor is supposed to be… A flying technique? A zero technique? I noticed that when looking at 飛び on Jisho, it’s a term used in mahjong as a game ending due to a player running out of points, so I dunno if it’s related to that, and it’s a game-ending technique? Just not sure at all.

Pg. 16

Very final line of the chapter:

そんなこと触れるか!!

I believe the intended meaning comes out to, “I can’t touch a place like that!”

But to get there, I’m going purely by context, and I’m not sure how it becomes a negative sentence. Is it essentially a rhetorical question being used to express disbelief? Basically,

“Do you think I can touch a place like that!?”

or

“Touch a place like that!? (with an implied, “As if” or “No way”)”

Also, side-note, looking at the そうはいくか shortening of そうは行かない… If they are indeed related, that would mean the phrase also ends up using a か particle as a sort of implied negation, so I wonder if it’s not something that just happens sometimes? I just haven’t seen it before, so I’m curious.

7 Likes
Page 11

I was puzzled about this too. I couldn’t find any dictionary entries for it, so my best guess is that it’s used in a similar way as 飛び出す which means to jump out or to appear suddenly, so I guess a 飛び技 would be technique that comes flying out of the blue or unexpectedly.

Page 16

Just in case, I’ll mention that you have a typo - it’s actually そんな とこ 触れるか.
Literally speaking this is not really a negative question; as you mention, it’s more of a rhetorical question.

I believe this is not an implied negation, but also a rhetorical question, literally “You are going to proceed in such a way!?” with an implied “Do you think I’m going to let you do that?”

9 Likes
Pg. 14

That would make sense… I’m happier with that interpretation than the ones I was seeing with the actual definitions of 飛び, either way (or weblio’s definition of “aerial assault,” which I mean, I guess on its own, sure, I could see that definition, “flying technique” = “aerial assault”, but certainly not in this context. haha.)

Pg. 16

Ah, so I do. In this case, it was in fact just a case of my fingers working faster than my brain. When I read the text, I did read とこ, not こと. Haha.

Yeah, that’s definitely a better way of wording that. By implied negation, I meant that there is definitely a “Not happening” vibe to it (hence the “not a chance” or “You wish” translations that are definitely on the interpretation side of translating). But I like the way you word it much better. Thank you!

5 Likes
Pg. 16

I know 飛び道具 means “projectile”, so I figured this was something similar. Like “projectile technique”. Maybe it’s a video game term? Something like “ranged attack”.

5 Likes
Pg. 16

That would also fit the context. I decided to check the anime translation (since I don’t have the English translation of the manga), aaaaand they changed that line, replacing 飛び技 with 必殺技 (meaning special or lethal move). So that was no help… :stuck_out_tongue:

The line is in episode 8, at 17:45 for those curious, but the episode does show some scenes we have yet to see in other parts of it, so beware of spoilers if you choose to check it out.

And also to add, when 飛び技 is Googled as a term on its own, away from any context, you get a lot of pro-wrestling images and descriptions. It’s got its own dropdown in the プロレス技 Wikipedia page. Haha. (Side-note: 技 has been one of my weird leeches where I consistently forget the reading, for some bizarre reason, but I think that’s been cured the amount of time I’ve typed it the last two days)

プロレス技 - Wikipedia

4 Likes

I feel like half the time I go to check an anime (for its English subtitles) to verify what’s said in the manga, I find they changed the line. This happened a lot in Flying Witch, where the anime reworded things.

I wonder if that means us manga readers are getting substandard dialogue…

If for the vocabulary: need to play more ポケモン =D

If for the kanji: welcome to my world =(

3 Likes

Ahaha. That could be, but I wonder in this case, if the line isn’t a reference to something industry-specific (be it pro-wrestling, or a videogame term), and they just made it more generic for the anime so it made more sense to a wider audience… Which, probably for the best, since we have no idea what it is referencing, for sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are some remakes coming out… If I play them in Japanese, it’s definitely learning and not just playing around (that’s been my excuse for Tales of Arise, and I’m sticking to it!)

It’s definitely the vocabulary. The わざ reading gets me everytime. I remember ぎ, but blank on わざ. -.-

2 Likes