Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Chapter 2, Pg. 4

みる has quite a few different kanji that can apply to it, depending on circumstance, besides just these two, so keep that in mind for the future.

For this case, though:

• 見る is more general purpose. You can use it in any situation with “look/see/watch” and generally be correct. It would have been fine here, but not as specific.
  • 観る is if you are looking at scenery (like a tourist would), or for watching something for entertainment, like a movie or TV.

Both would work here, the kanji used is just more specific.

It’s just the normal conjunctive て form connecting two sentences. Just remember that “and” isn’t the only way to translate it. Sometimes, it is more like “by.”

The article I linked talks about, but the example they give is:

For our sentence:

"I realized (this) by watching the movie “The Western Dandy” that was broadcasting on TV yesterday.

Or you could phrase it as:

“I watched the movie “The Western Dandy” that was broadcasting yesterday, and I realized (this).”

Both work fine, and both get you the same result, but the important thing is, it’s conjunctive て linking the two sentences together.

3 Likes

Ok this is new, I never seen it used this way… in fact I struggled here because I’m used to see it in a less likely to be confused context, usually.
I’m going to read the article because I have the sensation that this will torment me in more complex material

Ok, good to know. I actually had imagined something like the first translation but it still feels quite weird to me, I mean, what is that オレは doing there? It feels unnecessary and out of place, for some reason

Thanks for the correction as always!!

1 Like

The オレは is there because the topic technically changed. The topic for the first sentence would have technically been the 昨日. The は is just often dropped in time expressions, but it is still the topic.

“As for yesterday…”

The second sentence changes the topic to make it very clear that he is the one who realized.

It’s not technically necessary. Context would make you assume that the speaker is the subject/topic anyway, but it just makes things more clear.

1 Like

Not sure, is the negation at the end just like ‘isn’t it?’ ? (Rhetoric)

そんなん→ such a thing
じゃ→ ? では probably, but I don’t know how translate it
ダンディには→ What is には doing here :smiling_face_with_tear:
程遠い→ far away???
のじゃない→ am I right/ isn’t this true?

1 Like

Ok, now it’s clear!!

1 Like
Chapter 2, Pg. 5

そんなんじゃ = “If you are something like that,”

Remember では is somewhat like a conditional. That’d why それでは and これでは translate the way they do, and why I treated it as such earlier.

には is marking the “location” that the rest of the sentence is utilizing. “From a dandy”. The は is basically just emphatic and contrastive in a sense.

And yeah, you have the basic meaning for 程遠い, but I prefer the “far cry; nowhere near” phrasing of the English definition in this case.

Literally:

“If you are something like that, you are a far cry from a dandy, aren’t you?”

2 Likes

Now that I think this terms it makes sense, because it’s
そんなん+で+は→something like that, is, as for. “As for being something like that.” So this implies that either a logical or illogical consequence is the next line… is this correct?
The rest is clear :pray:

1 Like

ほらほら→ I’m hearing this over and over again from girls in the anime when they are in an uncomfortable situation in a dialogue, yet if I look up on the internet, I only get the translation “look, look!” which, unless I’m misinterpreting it, doesn’t make sense in the contexts… wth is it so?
ダンディなら→ if is Dandy (conditional なら)
ガマンしない→from ガマンする, to tolerate, but I can’t make sense of it being negative
とー→ what is this? Another contidional and an implicit something cut out?
If it’s really double conditional, I can hazard a translation like
“ C’mon, if you’re Dandy, if you don’t tolerate…” (then, you’re not/ something like this)

EDIT: ない+と(+いけない) grammar point for ‘must’, but is this usable together with なら in the same sentence?

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought too much about it on this one, I just accepted the meaning of it, but a quick glance at wiktionary supports this reasoning, yes. Conjunctive で + は particle.

Chapter 2, Pg. 5, Panel 4

ほらほら is literally just an attention getter. You can translate it however you want, as long as you understand that it is used to basically mean, “Pay attention to what I’m about to say.”

“C"mon; look; listen to this; any number of attention grabbing phrases, ad infinitum” all work. It’s not really a word that translates, just the concept of “This is important!”

You would need to give other examples re: “used when uncomfortable,” because I can’t think of such a situation off the top of my head.

You got the ないと on your second edit. It is the must. There is no reason you can’t use it with なら, so yeah. That’s it.

“C’mon, if you’re a dandy, you have to persevere/endure/show self-control.”

2 Likes

Awesome, I didn’t expect to get it, it was quite confusing!

1 Like

Surrendering to this one, it just doesn’t work
普通→normally/ generally
聞くなら→if/when ask
俺の好きな人→the person I love
とか→such thing as
って→topic
聞き方→listener (could mean ‘way of asking/ listening but doesn’t fit context)
しないか→do not?

普通聞くなら→when generally asking

オレの好きな人とかって→as for such things as the person I like

聞き方しないか→ listener not do?

No idea how to put these together
“When normally asking, as for the person I like, the listener doesn’t do (ask…?) ?”

1 Like
Chapter 2, Pg. 10, Panel 3

It’s a negative question, and the way you’ve phrased it, you just made a regular sentence and plopped a question mark on it, so that’s probably part of the confusion. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Ordinarily, wouldn’t the person who is asking/listener (聞き方), ask something like (とか) who the person I like is!?”

He is confused because instead of asking who Nishikata likes, Takagi-san instead asked him who he thinks she likes.

2 Likes

Ok I finally got what it means but I keep not being able to analyze the sentence… could you provide the most literal translation possible?

Jeez, these are complex and quite frustrating, I can’t understand even the next one

わざわざ→Expressely
そんな→such/ like that
聞き方→listener
聞き方をする→???
って→not sure

I’m not able to elaborate further

Edit: part of the confusion, I believe comes from not being able to elaborate 聞き方 together with a verb… the dictionary doesn’t say it’s a する verb so how is it modified by しない in the first sentence and by (を)する in the second?

1 Like

Ordinarily (普通), when asking(聞くなら), such a thing as the person I love (オレの好きな人とかって), the person asking(聞き方), wouldn’t (they) do (しないか)?"

You could also look at the 聞き方 as “way of asking” in retrospect, if you view the って as quoting, but either way gets you there in this sentence.

“Ordinarily (普通) when asking (聞くなら), wouldn’t (implied subject: someone) do (しないか) a way of asking (聞き方) something like (とか), “The person I like”?! (オレの好きな人って)?”

Or naturally, ignoring grammar:

“Ordinarily wouldn’t someone ask something like who the person I like is?”

For the following sentence, I would leave it exclusively as the “way of asking” translation.

“So that means… (ってコトは, short for ということは), going to the trouble to (わざわざ) do such a way of asking (聞き方をする)… (implied: there has to be a deeper meaning, which he starts to think about what might be, before she interrupts his thoughts again).”

Or, in natural English:

“Going to the trouble of asking such a thing must mean…”

The secret to する is that it is a verb on its own. All する verbs are technically nouns that just have (を)する tacked on to them. So, that’s the secret, Cap. Anything can be a する verb.

1 Like

don’t panic…grammar is the enemy… the more you learn the easier it gets… just keep going…

it’s honorable you are trying to catch up to the club…you are going so fast!!! don’t let yourself burn out…breaks are important too :wink:

2 Likes

I still remember our bet about me eventually burning out… so I won’t. :wink:
Seriously, this chapter has some grammar and particular uses that are touching my nerves, don’t know why. The lines that Nishikata and Takagi take from the western movie weren’t even anything crazy, but some things are tough…

Ok now I get it finally!! This piece by piece translation was helpful

I think with this translation I get everything now, but is it possible to translate わざわざ with ‘expressly’ here?

Hmm this is very useful, I have to remember it

1 Like

You can, for sure! I just avoided it because I don’t really use “expressly” in my day-to-day speech at all, and the way I translated just felt more natural to me. But “expressly” is perfectly fine and correct.

1 Like

Only question here, what is ところ doing?

考えるな is negative imperative, but what is よそう??

どうせ→Anyhow (anyway?)
私の弱点→my weakness
とか→among other things
でしょ→iI think/ i guess
Don’t really know what this mean and what is doing here

2 Likes
Chapter 2, Pg. 14

When ところ follows the present tense of a verb it essentially means, “about to~; on the verge of~”.

Chapter 2, Pg. 15

止す (よす), in volitional form

It’s two sentences, here, I think, hence the line break.

“No… Let’s stop. Don’t think (that way).”

Changed my mind. I actually think is 予想, “conjecture”

“No… don’t consider that conjecture.”

Or more naturally, “No…don’t think that way.”

It ties directly back into what she was saying before:

“Since I asked mean questions, I’ll answer Nishikata’s question. Anyhow, it was probably something like my weakness, right?”

She is guessing that his question was going to be, “What is your weakness?”, and she seems to have guessed on the money, because his thought is バレてる.

2 Likes

I just checked again on Jisho and it’s listed there too, I have to remember to check more carefully the dictionary

Got it, so 予想 in this case is implicitly marked by を and acts as the object of the verb right?

Damn, I can’t believe it was so plain and I didn’t see it…

All clear! :pray:

1 Like