Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

Sounds like it, I was confused at the kanji. :sweat_smile:

I think so, yeah. The translation is correct.

I would say so. It’s a pass. Like they don’t want to do it.

The prey called/known as cars.

2 Likes

I would agree with this if it was a different sentence, 帰るの面倒は etc. But since it’s 帰るの面倒だ, wouldn’t it work as it replacing が?

This is fine, but 面倒 has the nuance of something being annoying or too much of a problem, not just a problem that needs to be solved, imo. Maybe it’s just an English thing. :yum:

2 Likes
Chapter 1, Pg. 4, Panel 1

Yep, that is how I read it, also.

Though, you have an IME typo in the full sentence qupte. The kanji 乗 snuck in and replaced the の.

Chapter 1, Pg. 5

では and じゃあ are the same thing. じゃあ is just a contraction of it. The “then; well then” meaning also applies to じゃあ.

This これでは (contracted to これじゃあ) is very similar to それでは.

それでは can be translated to: “If that is the case…”

I would just change the wording for これでは to “If this is the case…”

But the meaning is the same regardless, so you can use the same wording for both and just say “then; well then”. It just marks something that was just said as a conditional in some way; in this case, she is referring back to the large amount of rain. So I would say your interpretation is pretty much correct, I would just reword it to include the conditional as such.

“Well then, we can’t ride the bike together.”

“It’s fine, but, as for a place where there are too many people, I’ll pass…”

Would be the literal interpretation of it. So he is basivally saying they can hang out, but not if its in a place with a ton of people. This is solidified by his thought bubble afterwards reflecting on not knowing what to say if they were seen by classmates.

Chapter 1, Page 7, Panel 3

The という is just the “called” meaning.

“The prey called “cars”.”

So your usage of “The prey that is cars” fits fine.

The reason for this being in past tense is because the past few bubbles have all been tied together. You have to follow the full thread of the story. Regardless, the past tense is because it relates directly to the immediately previous speech bubble. “The prey called cars disappeared, and the ghosts, which were bloodthirsty, ever since then, come out every evening.”

I don’t think it’s an implicit ある, but a reverse order sentence to lend more impact to the subject.

(I didn’t see that @Kazzeon had replied until now, so there may be some answer overlap)

Well, this sentence probably won’t help clear your doubt, honestly. I can explain this specific sentence, but I dunno if it will help for any lingering doubts. This is the nominalizing の, in my opinion. And there is simply a dropped は topic marker afterwards, which happens regularly in casual speech.

帰るの面倒だし…

I initially considered this because it is a subordinate phrase, but you can’t mark a non-nominalized verb with が (unless it’s the conjunctive and not the particle, which wouldn’t apply here anyway), so I put that theory aside.

3 Likes

I’m not 100% on this translation, though.

In these conditions, if it’s like this, etc. Sounds a lot better to me.

“Well then” makes it seem like it’s a thought that popped up at the last minute instead of it being an observation based on the situation. I don’t know how to explain it properly…

2 Likes

Yeah, this is basically what I thought, but couldn’t put into words.

2 Likes

That might be an issue with how English phrases things versus how other languages phrases things, maybe.

It feels perfectly natural to me…

Like, if I had plans for a picnic, but it was raining, it would be perfectly normal to say, “Well then, guess I’m not going on my picnic.” It does have vibes of being a bit of a last-minute thing, for sure, but the circumstances in this case are last-minute for them too; they planned to ride the bike, but were unable to because the conditions had changed on them from what they expected.

Though, yes I agree that “If this is the case…; if it’s like this; however you want to phrase an observation on conditions” is a more literal translation, both are the same meaning, from my perspective.

2 Likes

+1, it’s probably a は or が dropped. Btw what’s going with the second の after つぶす? It’s just the end of the sentence (explanatory の) and つき合ってよ is a new one?

2 Likes

This is me thinking in English. :sweat_smile:

But yeah, for me it just feels like a different nuance. It would make sense in your hypothetical story.

It’s more of a wording issue for me, but if you think it sounds natural. We’ll have to agree to disagree. :dog:

2 Likes

Another nominalizing の, I think, nominalizing the つぶす.

It all looks like one sentence to me in the context, (well a compound sentence, so I guess two sentences, but connected by the し, regardless), though I definitely feel like there is another dropped は.

帰るの面倒だし昼まで時間つぶすのつき合ってよ

Roughly:

“Going home is a pain, so hang out with me until noon to kill some time.”

I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

1 Like

It feels a bit odd to me to set up a topic with …のは and follow by a command て-form. Maybe I’m overthinking.

2 Likes

It feels a bit off to me too, so if you’re overthinking, we are in it together. :laughing: That’s why I hedged my response with the potential for being wrong.

In fairness, there is a line break, so it is more than possible for it to be explanatory の and a new sentence, but it looks more like the “I ran out space, so next line” line break than the “these are separate sentences” line break to me.

Not near my computer at the moment, so apologies that this is a photo of a digital screen. :laughing:

It’s still difficult for me to tell when a line break is important or not sometimes, and the explanatory の + new sentence meaning gives us the same result, just slightly different phrasing, so having two potential options doesn’t make it any easier to judge in this case. :laughing:

3 Likes

Do you mean ‘pass’ as in ‘I don’t want to do it, I’m gonna pass’?

The rest is clear, thanks!

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: no way… genki didn’t explain this :smiling_face_with_tear:

Perfectly clear now!

This is a skill that apparently I’m laking :joy:

Another thing I had completely missed! Gotta check both speech bubbles again

I don’t have specific doubts on the の particle in general, and your answer answered precisely my question!

2 Likes

I don’t have the slightest idea of what this means…
(I only know that ち at the beginning is him stuttering)

Same here, I have no clue what this means. I know the ばいい construct but I can’t fit it in the context…

Edit:

Last doubt in this chapter
I looked at this sentence for 20 good minutes but I can5’ find its sense in the context. Did Takagi san drop the hat to use it as a frisbee or what?
ビックリした→ you got surprised? (Or frightened?)
そこに→ don’t know what this is referring to here, the hole in the wall? Nishikata’s prank?
落ちてた→ this verb can just be interpreted in too many ways and it’s the first time I see it, so not understanding what’s happening, I don’t know what it means

2 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes

Side question not concerning the manga:

Who is the most practical here with google sheets and the dictionary sheets?
If AoT shows to be somewhat manageable I’d like to try and compile the dictionary sheets by myself too but I never used that program
(Of course it will be inaccurate, since I’m very ignorant, but if there is even just a base to work on for someone better than me, it will be a significantly easier task to do and maybe someone could take the initiative of opening a book club)
Either with AoT or with anything that will be my next manga, I’d like to do that :nerd_face:

Also sorry for the OT :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Seems par for the course. :laughing: Genki isn’t bad, but it can be light on explanations for the sake of simplicity and not overwhelming learners. The flip side of that is that you start to realize that it only tells you part of the story, and there is often a lot more to the grammar it teaches you.

Also, realized that I typo’d and meant to say the “then; well then” meaning applies to では as well, not double down on it applying to じゃあ. :laughing:

A lot of my early questions could be answered the same way; even now, I get confused if I struggle through a particular speech bubble, because I get tunnel vision on parsing something out, but I’ve made the mistake enough times that if I am struggling, the first thing I do is go back a couple bubbles and double-check my understanding there. Usually that clears the block for me.

Chapter 1, Pg. 9

“The thing (you) just (said) is wrong.”

The の is standing in as an object for her words, and it’s in reverse order to stress the subject.

“If I look, it will be good, right!?”

Basically just him saying that if he looks, it should prove he isn’t scared.

Chapter 1, Pg. 15

落ちてた = “had been dropped”

She found a frisbee that had been dropped (not by her, but someone else).

The そこに just means “over there”. So somewhere in the tunnel.

You could always just make a copy of the sheet for Takagi-san and put it into your own Google Drive and just edit out the specific vocabulary. All the sheets I’ve made have just been direct copy-pastes and adjusting as necessary for different chapter formats. :laughing:

Even the one I made for 夜カフェ is just a modified version of this one for Takagi-san.

If you are worried you will break an existing vocab sheet, I can make a blank copy this afternoon for you to copy and place into your Drive instead, so that if something weird happens, there is no harm.

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean here - from your words I intended that when we hear じゃあ as ‘well… well then…’ that じゃあ is actually a では contracted, is this right? So basically every じゃあ and では is the same thing…?

That’s me, I have tunnel vision permanently on! But I don’t want to worry too much on this, I want to believe that by getting better at something, I’ll have the time to focus on something else, and this will keep happening till the things I have to focus on will reduce drastically and I will be able to just easily see the whole picture naturally!

Ok, now it’s clear, but I’d have never been able to tell that 今のは was just standing for ‘what you just told’ :exploding_head:

Ok this now looks overly easily, I did I miss it

How didn’t I think of that, it’s actually the exact thing I’m currently doing :joy: I’m not practice with google sheets and I was afraid to delete everything accidentally so I made a copy and use it as private to be sure I don’t make damage…
I can just edit these copies!

Thanks a lot, it’s not needed :pray: I have the offline copies I made so there’s nothing bad that can happen :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yes, they are the same thing. My initial phrasing was just bad, and I ended up basically saying じゃあ was the same thing as じゃあ. It seems like my intent got through despite my poor phrasing, so no harm done, I was just commenting on it because I didn’t notice my mistake while writing, only after you quoted it. :laughing:

1 Like

I get the meaning of this sentence but I have a couple doubts:

1. Why is 観る with a different kanji and does this implies something different from usual?
  2. Why is it in the て form + オレは? How does this function?
2 Likes

Ok so I not only totally missed your typo, but I managed to get exactly what you meant anyway :rofl:

1 Like