Girl asks for his reply in her behalf
Guy says, “I told you, I like you
Girl says, “like I said, point that affection towards that child”

2 Likes

Oh shit now I see it

2 Likes

Yes pretty much.

あのさ…返事まだ?勇気出して告白した方の身になってよ!
I just wanted to point out how those line are deliberate misdirection, thanks to Japanese implied subject. If I try to adapt the dialog completely not literally but trying to preserve the misdirection, I think it could be something like this:

Hey… you don’t have an answer yet?
Try to imagine how hard it was to confess to you like that.
(At that point, it’s like 95% sure she is the one who bravely confessed to the boy, but he didn’t answer or maybe didn’t answer seriously, so she wants his answer)

How many times I have to tell you.
You are the one I love.
(Uh what?)

Like I said… You should tell that to her, not me.
(Ooohh, she is just the messenger! It’s another girl who did the 告白 to the boy! And btw, she looks so dejected about the whole affair, she probably actually loves the boy too?)

What crack me up in that bonus chapter is how uber serious those kids are. They look like what, 10 years old? But the entire scene looks like a drama, with hard hitting lines and dramatic framing. :laughing:

2 Likes

Kids are dramatic af, dude.

I still remember some of the stuff that went on in my elementary school, lol. Not to talk about middle school.

Plus it being most likely their first experience with that kind of stuff makes it more hard hitting.

4 Likes

So, all of the confusion seems to have been resolved, now, but this was something that had been talked about before because I was confused the first time I read it too. :laughing: Posts 106-109 on this thread talk about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way, this isn’t Mano, though (Nakai-kun’s girlfriend). She just looks similar:

1 Like

Damn, I was 100% sure it was Mano, I mean it’s almost identical… but yes different haircut and also acts differently from her in the おまけ chapter (colder, less shy)

I didn’t realize it had already been discussed, need to remember to check it!
Heading to volume 4 :grin:

1 Like

I don’t recall where I got this info from (probably a lil bit of web research), but I promptly forgot about it after that.

Fast-forward to my reading through 「ふだつきのキョーコちゃん」 volume 4 today, and I’ve encountered a couple of familiar faces:

image image

Although only a cameo appearance in Takagi, does this establish Takagi as taking place at the same time as Kyoko in this author’s chronology?

Edit: I guess that is the case after all, as seen a few of pages later:

Edit 2: Looks like both comics were running concurrently around this time (2014-2015 for these volumes).

7 Likes

That’s a fun connection!

And if there are vampires in the Takagi-san universe, there is further reinforcement for @VikingSchism’s theory that Takagi-san is supernatural!

4 Likes
And then there was that one bonus chapter from Tsubaki... (spoiler)

…where she tries to summon an 男 (having never seen one before) and ends up summoning 高木さん from the future instead.

7 Likes

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Mind blowing.
Are Yamamoto’s other mangas also good to read ?

7 Likes

With many mangaka, just because you like one series they produce doesn’t mean you’ll like others. I think a perfect example of this is Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba!&. There’s a big difference between the two series, as they seem to target very different audiences. (There will of course be overlap of people who like both.)

Yamamoto, on the other hand, writes many series that are very similar in structure and material (without having much overlap of content, excluding spinoffs).

Looking at series from Yamamoto:

• あしたは土曜日: If you enjoy reading Takagi, and you like the characters Yukari, Mina, and Sanae, you probably want to check this series out. Its chapters are very short, so you can easily fit reading a chapter as a treat between reading other things.

• からかい上手の高木さん: This is what you’re reading :wink:

• からかい上手の(元)高木さん: A spinoff of the main Takagi series, centered on Nishikata and Tagaki as married adults, alongside their young daughter. Follows very similar beats to the Takagi series. Another mangaka does this one. I don’t know how much input Yamamoto has in the writing of each chapter.

• くノ一ツバキの胸の内: This story deviates from Yamamoto’s other works by being a bit more story-based (for a slice-of-life type series) and by focusing heavily on a large cast of characters. I’m enjoying it, but some of the outfits are more than a bit iffy.

• それでも歩は寄せてくる: This one’s my favorite series by the author. It has similar story beats to the Takagi series, but with a bit of role reversal. We have a book club for this series as well.

• ふだつきのキョーコちゃん: I found this one starts out a bit slow and the characters don’t get fleshed out as much as I felt they could have been. That said, I enjoyed it overall, and I’ve nominated it as a potential pick to vote on in the next Absolute Beginner Book Club poll. It differs from the author’s other works by having a clear progression of events across chapters without feeling like it’s repeatedly doing the same thing over and over.

• 怪獣のトカゲ: A spinoff of one of Yamamoto’s one-off stories. It’s done by a different mangaka. I don’t care for the concept and characters of this series, so I can’t really comment on it.

• 恋に恋するユカリちゃん: Another Takagi spin-off, also done by another mangaka. This one focuses on Yukari, Mina, and Sanae, but whereas あしたは土曜日 has brief events, this has full chapters. Same as for that series, if you’re interested in the trio, you’ll probably like this one. There’s often an overlap between Takagi chapters, as we see many of the same events from Yukari’s perspective.

I’ve enjoyed all of these except for 怪獣のトカゲ.

6 Likes

Ok very clear, thx !

So similar style, huh… I think once I catch up with からかい上手の高木さん I will probably make space for some other manga in order to vary the writing style. But once I progress and it becomes light reading for me, I will probably pick some of this author other manga, after all I do enjoy his universe, always manage to make me smile.

I need to start a book manager to keep track of potential reads ! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Some volumes of Takagi will even push you toward the other series:

• Volume 5 opens with a chapter introducing the 元 series.
  • Volume 9 has the first chapter of Tsubaki at the end.
  • Volume 10 looks like it opens with another chapter based on the 元 series. (We haven’t reached this volume yet in the club, but I bought it yesterday and noticed a familiar face from 元.)
5 Likes