Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 3 Discussion Thread [Volume Complete]

That’s what she did. Nishikata challenged her do it again and she immediately answered something like “sure no pb, I’m first” No hesitation. Her yoyuuness must be off the chart.

とか is grammatically a bit vague to me, because it’s casual and loose so you can sprinkle them all over the place, but still the と in it come from the quotation と, so you can put a とか at the end of a sentence. Here I would parse more like
次は失敗するかもとか things like “maybe I’ll fail next time” ないのか are not?

He is referring to her yoyuuness.
余裕 is a bit hard to pinpoint for me too. So far, that’s how I understand it:
Originally 余裕 mean “surplus”, like having more than necessary but in a good way, like having room to spare. Can be time (having plenty of time), money (more money than needed). But it can also be when someone have physically/ mentally/emotionally more than enough to do something. Like if a pro-juggler usually juggle with 7 balls, juggling with 3 balls is super 余裕 to them, it’s easy, effortless.

And by extension it’s also the calm, composure, peace of mind, confidence that come when you are in a 余裕 situation.

So I think it’s a bit all of the above here, she answer immediately like it’s no big deal, perfectly calm, as if she can do back hip circle easily, it all looks very 余裕 to her. (To the point it’s suspicious and Nishikata starts to think she is just faking it a bit after)

3 Likes

You don’t get any hits in the dictionary for mai?

That doesn’t look like a small hand. :eyes:

Usually leeway, I think.

I don’t know how to translate this sentence, tbh.

2 Likes

You’re a genius. :man_bowing:

2 Likes

This is the only part I had no doubts on, the …? was part of my translation :joy: (sorry I have to include translations in “ “ to avoid confusion)

To work with so many particles in just one sentence is a bit tough, so basically it’s 失敗するかも→“Maybe I’ll fail” + とか quoting and adding further doubt + ないのか→ Rhetoric negation? Like, “isn’t that it?”

Perfect explanation!!
Now I have no doubts on the grammar of the sentence and the specific meaning but I’m not sure - so this thought was entirely directed to Takagi?
“What an immediate reply… like, there’s no chance she’s gonna fail next time…? What a composture…”
(Rearranged to get the sense of the sentence)

Not that I look back at it… could it be “probably isn’t…”? So that sentence would translate as
“Having a skirt, she probably can’t do the backflip” …?

I know, I did a crazy amount of weightlifting since young age that’s why :rofl:

2 Likes

OT question

About to open my AoT thread for almsing help with difficult parts, which category should I open it? In the book club maybe but since it’s not a BC I’m not sure

Edit: I’m on page 13, it was quite easy till now apart tons of niche words, and making the dictionary sheets I already filled 25 words. Maybe I’m putting too much stuff into it? If any of you did dictionary sheets I’d appreciate any suggestion on the word selection!

2 Likes

There isn’t?

That seems to be it. :slight_smile:

Apparently used as ~ないだろう?

Oh, I saw your picture. :flushed:

Reading or book club would probably be the best. There was a bit of change with the new category, so I don’t really know the difference. I guess reading, since it’s not really a club, as you say.

On the clubs I was in, people usually added every word, since someone could not know it, at that point it’s basically any word you have to look up or consider complicated, so that other people don’t have to.

The good part is that as time goes on, you don’t have to repeat words since they’re supposed to become part of your vocabulary.

2 Likes

Yes, categories are a bit fucked up :sweat_smile: at least I haven’t been able to figure it out till now…

About this, I’m really wondering how long it take… there are some words in Takagi-san that I checked literally 20+ times and still can’t really remember. Maybe it’s more of a thing to know every meaning and see the word in different situations…

For example I checked the word もう probably 15-20 times but Every time I see it I’m not totally sure and have to check it again

2 Likes

もう覚えましたか。:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Anyone knows how I can translate that verb かかった?

How is 分 being used in this sentence?

2 Likes

Probably “to be caught in” as in 罠にかかる

Uh 分 is my kryptonite. It’s used a lot in casual speech but I never been able to found a resource explaining clearly what it means. I think it’s roughly “because” with some kind of idea of proportionality…

3 Likes

I think this 分 is probably:

Definition 5 on Jisho.

But don’t have time to check the manga to confirm right now, so just basing it off of that sentence!

1 Like

Oh like falling into a trap

Well well I’ll tag you in every question including it then :wink: I thought it was merely about proportions actually

I checked again and this makes perfect sense here! Like ‘in the (unfavorable) condition of pushing her bike

2 Likes

I can’t really figure out what the hell だけのコト means. I know the grammar point だけのことはある, is this the case with an implicit part?
Also I read a beautiful answer on hinative that explains how だけ is not only the famous ‘only’ or ‘merely’ but means an extent, and it can ‘cut out’ of the equation the more (only, merely, etc…) but it can also cut out the less (as much as, enough to, etc…).
I wasn’t able to interpret that reasoning to this context but it was quite interesting.

Maybe I should literally translate that sentence into “ In any case, something to the extent (だけのコト) that I should (~ばいい) try and see

2 Likes

This ends in を because it’s the object of the previous sentence,
Anyway I don’t get what 飛び技 means and how is という used here… I don’t think it means “called” here

2 Likes

formigas-quimera-21511785-190120212046
I would translate it as “it’s just that” or something similar unless I had a reason to think otherwise.

I thought something similar to this one.

2 Likes

Sounds great!
So “No…! It’s just that (only thing/ only option) I should try out and see!”

Thanks for linking the old messages, I’m guilty of not having searched it this time… I had searched many previous questions on here but this thread wasn’t so active as the previous ones so I wasn’t expecting to find answers here…
Thanks, all clear!

2 Likes

Not sure about this sentence
What is でも here? “Or something” meaning?
How is 求める verb working with に marked お互い相手 ?
“ Okay, what if we write down the wanted thing (もの) from the other? “
Is Takagi proposing to write down a word choose by the opponent or more deeply, what the opponent desires?

I have this doubt since they are making an assignment of writing down their 好きな言葉 but this sentence uses もの instead. 求めるものでも means ‘wanted thing or something’ right

2 Likes
Chapter 8, Pg. 3

I think you have the right でも usage “or something”.

The に is marking “from” in this case, yes.

I think you have it a little backwards though. As opposed to being what the opponent desires, or a word chosen by the opponent, she suggests that they write down what they desire from one another. (So Nishikata writes down what he wants from Takagi-san, and vice-versa).

My interpretation:

“I got it (そうだ), why don’t we write (書かない) the thing we want or something (求めるものでも) from our opponent? (お互い相手に)”

2 Likes

All clear, thanks for the help :smile: still missing the logic behind the damn に particle tho, gonna read the tofugu article for the 8th time :joy:

2 Likes

Tough one

This sentence is a hell, maybe I’m just out of focus today but everything in it confuses me

伝わりすぎると→ If communicate too much (communicate? Can’t find out how to translate this verb)

逆効果→ Opposite effect

気もする→ read a lot about this expression but I’m still not sure what it means and how it’s different from 気がする. My understanding is that it not only conveys a feeling/hunch of something but it focuses more on the fact that that feeling/hunch is not the only one, or it’s not completely that. It can also be used as meaning exactly 気がする but avoiding directness but this is a thought so I’d exclude it. That said, I have zero clues on how to interpret this and what it means in the context

伝わりすぎると逆効果な気もするし→If I convey/communicate too much I also have the feeling that I’ll get the opposite effect
How is this sentence modified by し? What would change compared with が instead of も?

The second half is even more incomprehensible

これじゃ→ what does this refer to? Why isn’t this これは?

全く→completely

わかってなさそう→??? There is a なさそう voice on jisho but I don’t think it’s that, since it’s pending off the て form of わかる (to understand, right?) and it’s more likely to be いない in some weird form I don’t know

Pls help :smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear:

Also what does the next line means?

難しいところだな…
What is difficult? What is ところ referring to?

2 Likes